The industrial production of epoxy resins was opened back in 1947 and now this material is very widespread, including in construction. Our tips site will tell you how to pour epoxy on your floor in five steps for a beautiful, durable finish..
The portal has already written about what self-leveling floors exist. Epoxy resin is popular in this area because it allows you to get a durable and very beautiful flooring. To do this, you need to take five steps:
- Prepare the base. First, calculate the area you will have to pour, because you need to know exactly how much epoxy is required. Ideally, epoxy will adhere to concrete. But such a floor can be poured over wood, tiles, and other surfaces. It is only necessary to remove the old paint from the boards, and if the substrate is too smooth, sand it to improve adhesion. All chips and cracks on the floor must first be repaired, then the surface is degreased with soapy water, tape or film is attached around the perimeter of the room to protect the walls. After degreasing, you need to wait at least 12 hours until the base is completely dry;
Important! The moisture content of the base should not exceed 4%. Therefore, after pouring the concrete floor, you need to wait a whole month before moving on to working with epoxy..
- The second step is priming the base. Special primers are used, also based on epoxy resin. The primer must be used strictly according to the manufacturer’s instructions, in one or two coats. It is convenient to apply it in the corners with a roller or brush, and in the center of the room – with a squeegee or spatula. On average, the drying process of the primer is 12 hours;
- Now is the time to prepare the epoxy. You need to mix it with a hardener. It is important to strictly adhere to the proportions indicated by the manufacturer. If they are broken, then the epoxy will either harden too quickly, you will not have time to pour it, or will not harden at all. Use a scale or measuring cup to follow instructions exactly. The epoxy resin is mixed with a hardener in a large basin or bucket with a construction mixer or drill. You need to stir for at least 5 minutes for the components to combine accurately. To obtain a colored floor, you need to add pigments and dyes during the mixing process, but not water-based! Water and epoxy are not compatible;
Important! Until the epoxy hardens, it is harmful to humans. It is necessary to work with the flooring compound with gloves, glasses and a respirator.
- Fill the first layer. Usually its thickness is 5 millimeters. At the corners and seams, the solution is distributed with a brush, in the center of the room – with a needle roller, brush or squeegee. Make sure that the composition is evenly distributed and expel air bubbles;
- Before pouring the second layer, you must wait until the first dries to a state of stickiness. The process is similar to the previous one, only the second layer is usually made a little thinner. The floor will completely dry only after 72 hours, after which you can safely use it.
Filling the floor with epoxy resin has its own nuances. But you can cope on your own, it is no more difficult than making a beautiful tabletop or table from epoxy.