Replacing a mixer is not only difficult, but also expensive. However, in some cases it can be repaired, the main thing is that the body is intact. But what if the case itself leaked? It turns out that there are solutions here as well. How to repair the mixer body yourself is described in this article..
Repair of the body of the cartridge mixer for the basin with swivel nose
There is one problem with cartridge faucets with a swivel nose basin. Take a look at your mixer. In addition to the seam between the body and the decorative spherical nut, there are two more seams on it – one right at the sole, the second slightly higher. This is, in fact, the spout itself, which is put on the inside of the case. It is along these seams that the nose rotates relative to the fixed part of the mixer. If water is oozing out of any of them, then you need to change the inner curly gaskets.
1. Turn off the water and completely remove the mixer from the sink. To do this, turn off the flexible liners and the very fastening of the mixer.
2. Unscrew the lower nut by hand. There is a plastic ring under it – don’t lose it! By the way, sometimes leakage from under the lower nut is due to its loosening. In this case, it is enough to tighten the nut by hand and reinstall the mixer. This problem is especially common with new, newly purchased inexpensive faucets..
3. Remove the spout down (relative to the body).
4. The inside of the mixer opens. The second plastic upper pad (white) and two curly rubber or silicone (black) are visible.
5. As a matter of fact, in order to repair the mixer, it is necessary to replace two shaped gaskets. We take them off and go to the store for new ones. When installing, pay attention to the presence of a petal running along the entire gasket. The water inside the body should expand these petals, thereby sealing the connection. Therefore, the upper pad should be oriented with the petal down, and the lower, respectively, up..
Unfortunately, it is not a fact that replacing the gaskets will solve the described problem. The body of the mixer also works from friction over time, and therefore even new gaskets are not able to provide the necessary sealing of the seams. You can, of course, in this case try to wind up under the gaskets, for example, fum tape, thereby increasing their outer diameter, but this measure can only be temporary and will not save you from the need to buy a new mixer in the near future.
Repair of the body of the bath and shower mixer
Let’s make a reservation right away, if your case is cracked or a fistula has formed, then there is nothing you can do about it – if the warranty has not yet expired, then go to the store where you bought the mixer and demand an exchange or refund (this is a warranty case), and if the warranty is already over, then just buy a new mixer. The only case when something can be done with the body is if water leaks from under the union nut of the body, the one that is screwed onto the mounting eccentric. This problem can be easily solved.
1. Completely dismantle the mixer to gain access to the union nut.
2. A bushing with a hexagonal hole is visible under the nut. Turn it out with a suitable key. Most often, the thread on the sleeve is the opposite of the usual one, that is, it turns clockwise and turns against. To understand what kind of thread you have, you can only experimentally. By the way, manufacturers often do not turn the sleeve when assembling and leaks from under the nut when installing a new mixer. It makes sense to tighten the connection on the new mixer before installing it.
3. Remove the sleeve with the union nut.
4. Take out the sleeve.
5. The cause of the leak is the failure of the rubber O-ring. We replace it, assemble the mixer and put it in place. All.
A few words about the union nut.
There are situations when the nut itself needs to be replaced. In fact, it is at this stage that it is easy to replace it with a new one; they are sold in stores.