- Preparing the walls
- Installation methods and types of lathing
- Mounting profiles
- Installation and decoration of walls
- Installation of boxes
Covering with PVC panels allows you to hide any flaws in the walls and get a surface with high decorative properties. Easy to fit and install, they do not require special skills and professional tools. Let’s talk about how to install and decorate the walls with plastic PVC panels.
Preparing the walls
Despite the fact that one of the advantages of wall decoration with PVC panels is the absence of “wet” works, they are usually indispensable for repairs.
Old walls can have cracks, crumbling plaster, areas affected by fungus, etc. Cracks and crumbling areas can “grow”, without strengthening the surface, loose areas serve as a source of dust, and a colony of fungus or mold in many cases causes allergies.
Therefore, it is necessary:
- find out the nature of the crack, eliminate the causes, seal it with repair mortars (based on cement, gypsum, epoxy resins, etc.);
- to clean the crumbling areas, to strengthen the loose ones with a penetrating primer;
- clean the surface from fungus and mold, treat with fungicidal solutions (or a primer with an antiseptic).
Before installation, the panels of switches and sockets, wall lamps must be removed, and the contacts must be protected with electrical tape from accidental contact.
Installation methods and types of lathing
PVC panels can be fixed in two ways:
- on the wall surface;
- on the crate.
The first type of fastening (frameless) is possible if the walls have an almost perfect surface and all corners are “correct”. Fastening to walls is carried out using the same adhesive solutions as PVC tiles. And the surface must be free of dust and primed.
Important! When choosing an adhesive, it is necessary to pay attention that it does not contain solvents, that is, it is contact or dispersive. For example, “liquid nails” based on PVC or acrylic copolymers.
With frame fastening, a crate is mounted on the wall, which is positioned perpendicular to the direction of the PVC panels. If the finish is simple (for example, only vertical), then the lathing is done in increments of 30-50 cm, evenly distributing from edge to edge of the surface to be sheathed. In the case of combined laying, the crate repeats the “pattern” of the panels, turned by 90 °. Moreover, the elements of the crate should also be located at the borders of the drawing (so that the edge of the panels does not “hang” in the air).
As a lathing material you can use:
- wooden slats – with fastening panels on nails, wood screws and a stapler on staples;
- aluminum or galvanized profiles – with fastening panels on self-tapping screws for metal (“flea”);
- special PVC profiles and clamps for fixing plastic panels.
If the battens of the battens can be made of different materials, then PVC mounting profiles are used to decorate the surface and fix the edges of the panels..
They are of the following type:
1. Start (it can also be used as finish). The simplest view of a U-shaped profile for fixing the first and last panels along the long side and short ends of all panels.
2. Finishing (F-shaped). It is used to complete the cladding from the side of window and door openings (with the exit of the long part to the surface of the opening adjacent to the corner of the wall).
3. External (external) corner. Used to join the finishing of two walls at an external angle of 90 °.
4. Internal corner. Connects and fixes panels at 90 ° internal corners.
5. Universal (soft) corner. A decorative strip covering the inside and outside corner joints. Able to bend. Fastened to the front side of the panels with glue.
6. Connecting (H-shaped). It can perform two functions: it can be used when building panels in length and to create a transition from one laying pattern to another (for example, from vertical to horizontal or diagonal).
7. Ceiling plinth.
8. External and internal corners, connecting strip for PVC ceiling skirting boards.
Installation and decoration of walls
Mounting panels on a wall is essentially like filling a frame from mounting profiles with panels.
After preparing the wall and choosing the installation method, mounting profiles are installed along the perimeter of the wall (or its section).
If the installation is carried out in a frameless way, then the profiles are fixed with glue. With the frame method – first, the crate is mounted at the level, and the profiles are already attached to it.
A side (vertical) profile is required at the beginning of installation (at the “start”), which fixes the panel from the side of the ridge. It can be a start, an F-profile, an outer or inner corner. For complex laying patterns, H-profiles are required.
At the “finish” the same mounting profiles are used as at the start.
But sometimes there are exceptions. For example, if adjacent walls are at an oblique angle, then there are two options for mounting panels:
- Use a starter profile on each side of the corner. But then there will be a small gap in the corner, which must be closed with a universal angle.
- “Start” or “finish” with the panel from the through fastening to the crate, slightly stepping back from the edge. And close the attachment points with a universal angle.
Before starting the installation, be sure to calculate the number of complete panels for each wall, and determine the dimensions of the last panel. If it remains very narrow, then the layout will be visually asymmetrical relative to the center of the wall. It is better to make the first and last panels approximately the same width. To do this, the first panel is cut from the ridge, and the second from the thorn..
If the wall cladding is not made to the full height, then the panels at the top are closed with a starting profile.
When cladding to the ceiling, use a ceiling plinth for PVC panels. Its installation is required for horizontal layout. With vertical – it facilitates the wall cladding and masks the inaccuracies of fitting the panels along the length, but its installation is not necessary, you can decorate the upper part of the finish with a regular polystyrene ceiling skirting board.
The starting profile along the floor is required only for horizontal installation of panels. When vertical – floor skirting boards are used.
The installation process itself is simple. After attaching the starting and finishing profiles, the first panel is inserted into the “start” with a comb. If the ridge is cut, then the editing starts from the cut edge. Fix the panel to the wall with glue or fasteners through the groove to the crate. Insert the ridge of the second into the groove of the first panel, and fix it. In this algorithm, the entire wall is sheathed, periodically checking and adjusting the level at the seams..
The last panel (or part of it) is inserted into the groove of the previous one, and, bending the edge of the finishing profile, they are brought into place.
Installation of boxes
When finishing PVC with panels of bathrooms, it is often necessary to cover open risers of water supply and sewerage.
To do this, a volumetric frame is mounted around the pipes, as a rule, from a metal profile for drywall. And then it is sheathed with panels with the installation of a hatch for access to shut-off valves and metering devices.