Large-format glazing, huge floor-to-ceiling windows and “disappearing walls” of glass continue to gain popularity with homeowners. Let’s, together with the portal Our site, see what panoramic windows can be, and also figure out what advantages and disadvantages such large-area glazing has.
The portal devoted a detailed article to frameless glazing and its types. We also wrote about the frameless glazing of verandas, balconies and terraces. However, panoramic windows do not have to be frameless at all. On the contrary, if a glass structure occupies two floors and an area of more than six to seven square meters, you cannot do without a reliable support for glass, that is, frames.
Large-format window construction can be aluminum (used for very large windows), PVC and wood.
Important! According to manufacturers, you first need to choose a double-glazed window, and then a window profile. After all, it is the profile that will have to withstand the weight of the glass, and it can be rather big.
The advantages of panoramic glazing are obvious:
- A country house or apartment looks very modern, stylish, exclusive. Such projects always stand out from their neighbors;
- Maximum sunlight gets into the room, you can save on electricity;
- The room seems more spacious than it really is;
- A beautiful view is provided (unless, of course, the view from your window is actually attractive).
There are also disadvantages of large-format glazing:
- It is not easy to wash such huge windows, especially on the upper floors, there will be problems with their care;
- You cannot install a wall radiator under a panoramic window; either a floor-standing connection and installation option, or a floor convector is required. All this needs to be planned at the stage of construction or major repairs;
- In summer you will need curtains, blinds, roller shutters, curtains to hide from the hot rays of the sun. Or you will have to purchase tinted glass;
- You will find yourself in front of your neighbors if the effect of an aquarium appears in front of other houses. In this case, it is advisable to order mirror glass.
We will separately mention such disadvantages of frameless glazing as the inability to install mosquito nets and a low level of heat and sound insulation.
Many homeowners are concerned about the potential disadvantages of panoramic windows such as increased heat loss, poor security, and condensation in winter. According to the manufacturers, all of these cons are far-fetched. Panoramic windows are always made of shock-resistant glass. For example, according to user reviews, triplex is difficult to break even with an ax. In addition, shock-resistant foil can be ordered separately..
Heat loss will not increase if you order a high-quality glass unit and correctly mount the profile. To get rid of the risk of condensation and icing, it is necessary to optimally select the depth of installation of the insulating glass unit in the profile – at least 18 millimeters. And also ensure the supply of warm air from below by installing a convector built into the floor or a floor radiator.
It should be noted that panoramic glazing is an expensive pleasure. Especially with modern energy-saving double-glazed windows, which are necessary in the Russian climate. On average, the cost of a window with an area of 7.5 meters is 200 thousand rubles. Of course, a lot depends on the manufacturer, the selected glass unit and profile, but in any case the price will be high. Yes, and it will not be possible to save on installation – professionals should be engaged in the installation of large-format windows.