Natural finishing materials have always been especially appreciated by homeowners. Nice, soundly, durable. In this article, Our site of advice will tell you about the features and benefits of slate tiles, and also give examples of its use on the street, in the house and apartment..
Slate is a popular finishing and building material. It is often referred to as flagstone for its characteristic structure and origin. It is a rock that is formed from clay at great depths due to crystallization and compaction..
There are five types of slate:
- Chlorite. The main mineral, as the name implies, is chlorite. This slate has a green tint with tints;
- Mica. Brown, black, light gray. The basis of the material is shale mica;
- Siliceous. Formed in the form of sheets and plates of red, green, gray, black;
- Clayey. The most popular and affordable. Black or dark gray, formed in slabs that are easy to split;
- Combustible. It looks like hardened clay, is highly flammable, so it is not used in decoration and construction.
The advantages of slate tiles are many, like other materials made from natural stone:
- Natural origin, ecological purity;
- Increased durability. This coating will not be demolished for many, many years;
- It is not afraid of moisture, does not absorb it, can be used outdoors, near the pool, in a steam room and other wet rooms;
- Not afraid of temperature changes;
- Not afraid of sun rays;
- Provides good sound insulation;
- Non-slip, therefore safe as a floor covering;
- In installation, slate tiles are no more difficult than ordinary ceramic tiles; if you wish, you can do everything yourself;
- It looks aesthetically pleasing, beautiful, there is a choice of textures and shades of slate.
There is perhaps one minus for slate tiles – a rather high price, which is not much lower than that of marble and granite tiles. A square meter of such coverage will cost more than 2 thousand rubles.
The scope of application of slate tiles is very wide. The portal has already written about the pros and cons of slate roofing tiles. Slate tiles are most often used:
- For finishing the basement of the building and, less often, due to the high cost – the entire facade;
- As a floor covering on porch, terrace and veranda;
- To create garden paths, including stepping paths;
- For finishing the floor in the bathroom, in the kitchen, hallway, in the bath – wherever you need a particularly durable, moisture-resistant and non-slip floor;
- For finishing fireplaces and stoves;
- For decorative effects. For example, for framing a bathroom mirror, highlighting a kitchen backsplash, facing a column or a door jamb.
Tiles of different shapes and sizes, in pieces, for garden paths and cladding can be found cheaper than tiles. This is a good option to save money, but such chipped slabs cannot be used everywhere, wide seams remain, it is more difficult to lay – you literally have to assemble the mosaic piece by piece.
Slate tiles are a very beautiful, durable finishing material with a wide range of applications. The high cost of the material is justified by its advantages, durability and elite appearance of such a finish..