- Touch mixer: features and capabilities
- Device device
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Recommendations for the selection of contactless mixers
- Installation of the sensor mixer
The touch or contactless mixer is comfortable to use and saves on water supply costs. Its installation is no more difficult than a conventional crane. Let’s look at the device of sensor mixers, their advantages over conventional taps and consider the features of self-assembly.
Touch mixer: features and capabilities
The sensor mixer has a not quite familiar appearance for the layman: we have a “bare” tap without levers, valves or joysticks. The only control is located on the body in the form of a compact temperature controller. Expensive models of contactless faucets lack an external regulator – it has been replaced by a touch control, which regulates the temperature by touching the right or left side of the mixer, and on some taps the touch control is located on the spout.
There is a sensor on the tap body that detects the movement of hands or dishes. In each model, automatic or manual adjustment of the sensor response range from 1 to 30 cm is available. You yourself determine how far you need to approach the mixer for it to start supplying water. In most models, you can set a delay parameter – the time after which water should be supplied and turned off. Manual adjustment of these parameters is available in more expensive models. The touchless faucet is usually installed in kitchen and bathroom sinks, as well as in hospitals, cinemas, supermarkets, catering establishments..
The sensor system is powered by a lithium battery. Its charge will last for two years if the water is turned on 3-5 thousand times monthly. For one family, this battery life is more than enough for two years of uninterrupted operation..
The mixer package includes:
- electronics unit;
- connecting hoses;
- pouring out;
- remote control (depending on model).
When a moving object enters the sensor’s sensitivity field, the photocell transmits a signal to the control unit, which opens and shuts off the water. Technically, an electronically controlled solenoid valve is responsible for opening the water..
Advantages and disadvantages
The key feature of the contactless mixer determines its undeniable advantages:
- Hygiene. There are many microbes on the hands. No contact between hands and faucet prevents the spread of bacteria from person to person.
- Durability. The absence of the usual valve or joystick control eliminates premature wear of the mixer.
- Comfort and convenience. Using the touch tap does not require opening the water. It is enough to bring your hands or dishes to the sink for water to flow out of the spout.
- Profitability. These devices make it possible to reduce water bills. It stops flowing as soon as the hands are removed from the tap.
- Safety. There is no need to be afraid of an open tap and flooding of neighbors. Without movement in front of the sensor, the water in the tap will be permanently shut off. The contactless tap can be used by small children without fear of getting burned or overcooled: you can set the temperature manually or buy a mixer with a thermostat that will supply a comfortable flow of water.
- Design. Touchscreen faucets have a look that will add a touch of modernity to any kitchen or bathroom.
Now let’s talk about the disadvantages, since the sensor system in some cases can cut the practicality of the daily use of the device.
Sensor faucets with automatic water temperature setting are not quite suitable for kitchen sinks. In the kitchen, you need to regularly change the temperature of the water, since the list of tasks requires both cold and hot water supply. Meat and fish should be washed in cold water, vegetables and fruits – moderately warm, and dishes should be washed in hotter. Therefore, a sensor mixer for the sink with manual temperature setting must be installed in the kitchen..
If you need to periodically fill the sink or bathtub, then you will have to constantly keep your hand in the area of the sensor.
Thus, you should not install sensor faucets wherever possible. First you need to determine a list of actions that will be carried out with a water tap.
Recommendations for the selection of contactless mixers
Before buying, you need to pay attention to the type of mixer. Many models for one-pipe systems are sold today. If you have a two-pipe system at home, then such a tap can only be installed for hot or cold water..
Several features affect the price of a contactless mixer:
- the presence of a remote control;
- availability of additional functions.
Many companies offer quality solutions on the market, among which are Hansgrohe, Kopfgescheit, Grohe, Hansa. A variety of faucet designs will allow you to choose a model for any bathroom or kitchen. Attention should be paid to devices with temperature and flow rate control. Functions such as water supply time, operating time, setting on and off the mixer will come in handy in everyday use. You should stop your choice on contactless taps made of quality materials: brass or bronze, which have an enamel or chrome finish..
Installation of the sensor mixer
The installation of the sensor device is somewhat different from the installation of everyone’s familiar water tap. The mixer is installed in two main steps:
- installation of the case;
- water connection.
Shut off the water supply before starting work. The body will be installed in a specially designated hole on the sink. If you plan to replace the mixer, then first you need to dismantle the old one. A mounting gasket must be installed between the body of the new faucet and the sink. The device is mounted on a gasket and secured with a nut. The complete set of the sensor mixer includes elements for fixing the control box, which must be at least 55 cm above the floor. Then you need to connect the control unit and the mixer using a flexible hose, which should be included. A polymer gasket is installed at the junction.
The next step involves connecting the nipples to the water pipes. Finally, remove the housing from the control unit by unscrewing a few bolts, and connect the sensor cable to the control control with a nut. Installing lithium batteries and screwing the unit cover back into place, you can check the functionality of the mixer.
Once installed, the mixer can be triggered automatically if a strong reflection of light hits its sensor. In this case, you need to eliminate excessive lighting. If, during long-term operation, the mixer ceases to cut off the water, it must be disassembled to clean the membrane from dirt and salt deposits.