Whether to put the door to the kitchen is not an easy question. The isolation of this room has its pros and cons, which should be addressed when making repairs in an apartment or house. Let’s deal with this issue together, considering all the possible arguments for and against the kitchen door..
As Our site wrote earlier, the combination of a kitchen with a living room and a dining room remains an actual trend in the field of suburban construction. Yes, a shared space for cooking and for guests is trendy. But in fact, it often turns out that the kitchen in the living room is not at all so convenient..
Let’s talk about the pros of not having a kitchen door first:
- Money is saved on the door itself, because high-quality models can be very expensive.
- Space is saved, because the swing door needs to be opened somewhere. Or leave, albeit small, space for a compartment door.
- You can radically change the interior, make redevelopment.
- The owners do not find themselves in isolation, preparing dinner for guests and their own children, they can calmly communicate with those who are located in the recreation area.
There are also many disadvantages to the lack of a door to the kitchen:
- The kitchen-living room looks beautiful in photographs on the Internet and in glossy magazines. Admit it honestly – do you always have perfect order on the countertops and everything is in its place? Let’s not believe it! The mess in the kitchen is okay, as are the sponges on the sink, dirty dishes, and left over from tea cups. Guests do not always want to demonstrate their daily life, and the presence of a door allows you to simply hide the mess.
- The kitchen is a noisy room. There are many household appliances here. And if refrigerators today work almost silently, then the same cannot be said about a mixer, blender, coffee grinder, electric meat grinder and other kitchen helpers. Now imagine if the hostess of the house is whipping cream, and someone nearby on the couch is trying to watch the series. Or in the early morning the whole apartment wakes up due to the squeaking microwave and the whistling kettle.
- If a gas stove is installed in the kitchen, safety standards require a door or at least a partition! Don’t forget about it.
- Cooking is not always a beautiful process. Maybe the hostess doesn’t want to be seen in an apron making cutlets or elbow-deep in dough. It is more pleasant for her to bring ready-made dishes to the guests, and not to show how all this was prepared.
- Powerful modern hoods, of course, deal with most of the odors that come from the stove and oven. In addition, many people believe that the pleasant aromas of baked goods and roasts add a touch of comfort to the home. However, this is not always justified. If the owner is a fisherman or just in the house they like fried fish and potatoes with onions, the door will not allow all these smells to spread to other rooms.
Let’s choose the most common cases when a kitchen door becomes a necessity:
- The room is used as a study. There is nowhere else for the owner of the house to look at important documents in the evening, when all household members have already gone to bed. Behind a closed door, such work at home will not bother anyone..
- There is simply no living room in the apartment, someone lives and sleeps there, and the kitchen is used for gatherings. In this case, the door will allow you to sit with guests longer, without disturbing, for example, children or elderly relatives who are sleeping in the next room..
- Pets live in the house, for example, a cat who loves to climb on the table for delicious food. In this case, it is advisable to keep the kitchen door closed to avoid wool in the plates and the chop eaten..
- Child safety. A small child in the kitchen without supervision is dangerous! He turns on the stove, fits into the oven, pulls out a knife … You never know. The door to the kitchen will eliminate many risks and become a parent’s assistant.
- Personal life. This reason to install a door to the kitchen will be understood only by young parents who are forced to live in a “one-room apartment” with a child. Kitchen door, always with a lock – saving close relationships in such a situation.
- The door becomes part of the overall interior of the kitchen, completing the picture. It happens that this particular stroke was not enough to make the room complete, beautiful.
It is clear that to put the door to the kitchen or not is the choice of each specific owner. If now you have a door to the kitchen, just answer the question – how often does it close. Never? Clean up boldly! But if you often want to close the kitchen, there is discomfort – put the door, convenience is the most important thing.