In this article, we’ll talk about why varnishes are needed for concrete, stone, brick, what functions they can perform. In addition, our tips site will tell you what varnishes are designed for these surfaces, what to look for when choosing, and also give advice on application..
When it comes to paints and varnishes, about covering various surfaces with them, most often there are associations with varnish on wood. In fact, everyone knows that wood needs to be protected, and varnish can give it a particularly beautiful look and extend its service life. The portal has already described in detail how to choose stains and varnishes for woodworking. Now it’s time to talk about why varnishes are needed for concrete, stone and brick.
Agree that until recently, homeowners would have been very surprised if someone offered them something to cover a brick facade. Why, because he is good and so. However, protection and decoration with varnish will definitely not hurt brick, concrete and stone. Having such coverage has a number of advantages:
- The facade or interior wall of the house becomes more attractive. The lacquer finish gives a wet stone effect, the surface looks much more beautiful.
- Brickwork gets additional protection, becomes water-repellent and is not afraid of slanting rain.
- The service life of surfaces is significantly extended.
- The varnish coating helps to combat efflorescence on brickwork, prevents their appearance.
- The surface becomes more pleasant to the touch. This is important if, for example, you decide to make the interior in the loft style and leave one of the walls just concrete.
- A layer of varnish will prevent dust from accumulating between bricks or on stone finishes.
- Surfaces become more resistant to temperature extremes and UV rays.
In general, lacquer coating is a decorative effect plus an increase in the service life of stone, concrete and brick finishes. Therefore, we do not recommend saving money at this stage of finishing works..
The first thing to look for when choosing a varnish for brick, concrete and stone is the scope. For external and internal work, different compositions are chosen. In addition, the varnish can be matte, glossy, with different levels of gloss, semi-matte and semi-gloss. You can make this choice solely depending on taste preferences and the desire to get a brighter decorative effect..
All varnishes for brick, concrete and stone surfaces are divided into the following types:
- Polymeric. Easy to apply, dry quickly, increase surface wear resistance. One of the most popular options.
- Solvent based on silicone resins. They penetrate deeply into the surface, create a durable layer for a long time. But they are uneconomical, intended for indoor use.
- Polyurethane. On the contrary, they are used on facades and fences. Such varnishes create the effect of wet masonry, it is possible to add dyes.
- Acrylic varnishes are used indoors, protect surfaces from cracking.
A separate category is varnishes for fireplaces and stoves. They are heat-resistant, heat-resistant, fire-resistant, designed to give fireplaces and stoves a more attractive look, as well as extend the life of their finishes..
As for the most popular brands producing varnishes for concrete, brick and stone, it is worth noting the Russian Chief Technologist and Neomid STONE, as well as the American Petri and the German Pufas..
The varnish is applied to brick, concrete and stone surfaces in the same way as ordinary paint. You will need to clean the surface of dust and dirt, stock up on paint brushes of different widths, as well as work clothes. If the varnish is not too thick, you can use a spray or spray gun. We will give advice from professionals:
- Apply the varnish in at least two layers, and preferably three. So the coating will be more decorative and durable, there will be no drips. Layers dry quickly, so there will be no long delays in work.
- Do not forget to prime the surface. It is advisable to buy the primer of the same brand as the varnish..
- Seams between bricks or stones must also be varnished. If you want to emphasize the beauty of the masonry, you can choose a colored varnish and apply it with a thin brush exactly along the seams..
- Start applying the varnish from above, gradually going down.
- For outdoor use, choose polyurethane varnishes, for indoor use silicone-acrylic.
The lacquer coating can be washed, maintenance of such a surface is simple.