This is an eternal dilemma that confronts all owners of houses and apartments planning renovations – to paint the walls or paste over with wallpaper? The question is really difficult, because the whole impression of the interior depends on the choice of finishing. Our advice site decided to figure out when to choose paint, and when to choose wallpaper.
Having studied the reviews of homeowners and the advice of professional designers, you can highlight the following situations when the choice is obvious – only paint:
- Log walls. You definitely can’t stick wallpaper on them, but you don’t want to hide the beauty of the walls of the log house under drywall. In this case, it remains to either varnish the logs to preserve the naturalness of the wood, or paint over with paint to make the finish look finished..
- There are many architectural details on the walls. It will not work to glue moldings, stucco with wallpaper, but it is easy to paint them. And you can choose different shades for the wall sections highlighted with such architectural details..
- We need a complex shade. Manufacturers often have amazing colors: “Indian Ocean”, “sunset over the Sierra”, “cosmic ultraviolet” … It is unrealistic to pick up wallpapers of such tones, but it is easy to experiment with coller and vykras.
- There are pets in the house. As practice shows, cats are indifferent to painted walls, but the wallpaper is often peeled off with sharp claws.
- There are small children in the house. Washable paint is more practical. And it is easier to repaint the walls than to change the wallpaper, “decorated” with children’s scribbles.
- Owners love change, they often make rearrangements. If there is wallpaper in the room, it may turn out that behind the closet they are brighter, because they did not fade in the sun. This won’t happen with paint.
- The owners want pure white walls. Why, then, buy just a white wallpaper? There is no sense in this. And painted white, with a slight admixture of gray, blue or yellow, the walls will be an excellent backdrop for a brighter setting..
- The room is planned to be painted or drawn with a stencil on the neutral wall. This decor turns out to be more interesting than wallpaper with a rhythmic, repeating pattern..
- I would like to hide the massive storage system and other furniture by painting to match the walls. Colored cabinets, as the portal already wrote, can become a very interesting interior detail. And if it is decided to literally dissolve them in the space of the room, then one cannot do without walls painted in the same color.
Important! The undoubted advantage of painted walls is that you can do everything yourself. Roller, brush, paint – go ahead. It is more difficult to glue the wallpaper qualitatively and the process itself takes longer.
Wallpaper for wall finishing is most often chosen by conservative homeowners who value time-tested solutions. They know exactly what wallpaper they want in the bedroom, what in the living room, and they intend to add comfort to the interior. Wallpaper always looks more comfortable than just painted walls, so it remains a popular choice..
It is the bright wallpaper with a pattern that makes it possible to highlight one of the walls, usually the one that is visible immediately from the entrance. It becomes the focal point, the rest of the walls remain neutral.
Important! The advantage of wallpaper is that it does not require such careful wall alignment as paint. Dense wallpapers hide small irregularities perfectly. However, like two layers of matte, thick acrylic paint in a warm shade.
Can’t make the final choice? Look for compromises! Wallpaper for painting, for example. Or wallpaper on one accent wall and neutral paint on the rest. This is a good option for creating an original interior..