The window sill is an optional, but very useful and attractive part of the balcony arrangement. Our tips site will tell you why it is worth installing a window sill on the balcony, what functions it can perform. Of course, we will show with examples how a window sill might look on your balcony..
The balcony sill has two functions:
- Decorative. It completes the entire design of the balcony, making it logically finished and more attractive..
- Practical. On the windowsill, you can place indoor plants for the summer, turn it into a table or bar counter. In addition, the very presence of a window sill will protect the balcony from cold outside air..
In terms of shape, all balcony window sills are divided into three types:
- Standard. This is an ordinary rectangular tabletop, the width of which will depend on the size of the balcony, the wishes of the owners and functionality. It is clear that if the window sill is planned to be used as a table, then the width should be increased.
- Corner. Solid surface, it will grip the side walls of the balcony.
- Combined. Design option, such countertops can be transitional or bay window.
The choice of material for arranging the window sill Our site sovetov.ru devoted a separate article. For a balcony, all these options are certainly also suitable. You can choose inexpensive plastic, budget laminated chipboard and MDF, natural wood, concrete, tiles, natural or artificial stone. The main thing is that the material is affordable for you and copes with the main functions that you assign to the balcony window sill.
Note that plastic is not a very suitable option if the window sill will be used as a work surface or bar counter. It will be hard enough to look after him, and it is easy to damage.
Important! Natural wood should be used only on an insulated balcony. Temperature drops on such a window sill will act negatively, as well as high humidity.
Often, in order to slightly expand the useful area of the balcony and get a wide and functional window sill, the owners carry out glazing with an extension. In this case, the lower part of the balcony remains of a standard size, and the glasses are pushed forward by no more than 30 centimeters. As a result, the balcony visually looks larger, and the window sill turns out to be wider, more comfortable.
The space under a wide enough balcony window sill can and should be used! Here you can arrange lockers for all sorts of little things and cans with conservation. According to experts, it is better to use an aluminum profile and plastic for cabinets on a balcony without insulation. It will turn out inexpensively, besides, the materials are not afraid of temperature changes. If the size of the balcony allows, you can make swing doors, otherwise – sliding doors.
Window sills are installed on the balcony in three ways: most often on brackets, you can also use foam or retaining brackets. It all depends on the width of the window openings, design features. Traditionally, the installation of a window sill is ordered immediately along with double-glazed windows. In this case, the masters will do everything themselves, and the owners will be left with the finishing, beauty guidance. Prices, of course, will be different. On average, installing a plastic window sill costs 300 rubles per running meter. Decorating the windowsill with tiles is, of course, more expensive. The most expensive options are artificial and natural stone.