Before moving on to the main questions, let’s figure out which roofing materials can be used in general in the winter:
- Galvanized metal, slate and natural tiles are all-season materials that can be used in winter and summer..
- Metal tile is a frost-resistant material that is often used in winter.
- Ondulin manufacturers recommend laying at a temperature not exceeding +30 ° C and not lower than -5 ° C.
- Soft bitumen shingles in the cold become very brittle, it is very difficult to work with them in winter. Of course, if there is an urgent need to repair a soft roof that suddenly leaked, the material can be heated to restore its plasticity. But you can’t build roofs with soft tiles in winter..
- Wooden shingles, reeds, straw should not be stacked in winter – the materials will not last long.
Important! In the cold, metal roofs become especially slippery, and ice often forms on them. All safety rules must be strictly followed. However, this applies to all work at height.
Features of construction and repair of roofs in winter:
- Before carrying out work, you will have to clear the roof of snow and ice. An additional and rather time-consuming task, we agree, but without it nowhere.
- At temperatures below -20 ° C, it is better not to carry out any work, even if all-season slate or natural tiles are used. Such severe frosts change the properties of materials. And in general, working in extreme cold is very uncomfortable.
- Be sure to cover the gaps remaining in the roof with a film or other covering material for the night, because the snowfall can begin at any time.
- If scratches and chips are painted over, only frost-resistant paint is used.
- It is obligatory to have comfortable, warm gloves, insurance – a safety belt and a special safety cable.
The disadvantages of building or repairing a roof in winter are obvious:
- Snow will interfere with construction, it will have to be removed, and this is an additional waste of time and effort.
- Some roofing materials, including bitumen and shingles, cannot be used in the cold..
- The day in winter is short, the working time is limited, that is, the process will be delayed.
The advantages of building and repairing a roof in winter are also available:
- Less chance of rain, which interferes with roofing in spring and autumn.
- Contractors who have little work in the cold are more willing to make discounts, it is easier to find builders. And the roofing materials themselves are easier to buy in winter at a reduced price..
- In case of building a house, it is not necessary to preserve the construction site for the winter. In addition, if you managed to make a rafter system, before stopping work for the winter period, you will still have to start building a temporary roof to protect the frame from external influences..
We state that it is possible and necessary to build and repair a roof in winter, of course, if there is no heavy snowfall and frost more than -20 ° C outside. This saves not only time, but also money, and is often necessary. It should be noted that it is winter that experts call a successful period for working with wood, including rafter systems.