- Wallpaper glue composition
- Types of wallpaper glue
- What to look for when choosing wallpaper glue
- Issue price
- Application features
In this article we will tell you what types of wallpaper adhesives exist, how they differ, in which cases they are used. Let’s figure out how much this or that wallpaper glue costs, and also tell you about the most important nuances of its use..
It is difficult to find a person who, at least once in his life, would not be faced with the need to paste (or re-paste) wallpaper. The task, in fact, is not so difficult, and many believe that there is no need to call the master. However, this is only true if the wallpaper adhesive is selected correctly.!
If you buy the first wallpaper glue you come across, without delving into its features, composition and scope of application, you can already see an unattractive picture of swollen or lagging wallpaper at the junction of the wallpaper the very next day. Therefore, let’s figure out what exactly wallpaper glue is, how to choose and use it correctly..
Wallpaper glue composition
Modern wallpaper adhesives include the following components:
- A base which, after adding water, turns into a viscous, transparent solution. Today, modified starch and methylcellulose are most commonly used as such a main ingredient in wallpaper glue..
- PVA (polyvinyl acetate, also known as vinyl acetate polymer). Odorless, non-toxic, highly adhesive.
- Bactericide and fungicide. These substances prevent the appearance of mold, fungi and protect against insects. The presence of bactericides and fungicides in wallpaper glue ensures that no “uninvited guests” will start under your wallpaper, and unpleasant black mold will not appear on the wall.
Types of wallpaper glue
Today, a huge range of wallpaper adhesives is presented in hardware stores. However, they can all be divided into three main groups:
- Normal wallpaper glue. Consists only of the base and antifungal additives (often without them). Manufacturers often indicate that it is versatile, but in fact, it is ideal only for lightweight paper wallpapers, excluding embossed ones. Composition: base – from 97% to 100%, fungicide and bactericide – from 0% to 3%.
- Special wallpaper glue. Composition: base – about 75%, PVC – about 25% (sometimes more), bactericide and fungicide – also from 0% to 3%. Designed for the following types of wallpaper:
- thick paper type “duplex”
- embossed paper
- from natural materials
- Special adhesive for fiberglass. Composition: base – up to 50%, PVC – also about 50%, fungicide and bactericide – traditionally no more than 3%. Designed for wallpapers such as:
In addition, glue wallpaper mixtures are divided into dry (must be diluted with water) and ready-made (sold already in liquid form).
Important! Dry wallpaper mixtures, already diluted with water, are stored for only 1 to 10 days. Ready-made liquid mixtures in a closed container take an average of 3 months, so the shelf life in this case is very important. In addition, adhesives with an extended shelf life may contain additives (preservatives) that are harmful to health..
What to look for when choosing wallpaper glue
First of all, on what kind of wallpaper you are going to glue. This is the most important point. All-purpose wallpaper adhesives are only good for those cases when you have not yet decided on the choice. The best option is to buy glue for a specific type of wallpaper..
Adhesion – this indicator determines the strength of adhesion, depends on the composition of the adhesive, in particular, the amount of PVC, and its ability to penetrate into different materials. Distinguish between initial (adhesive strength at the moment the wallpaper touches the wall) and final adhesion. You will not find such an indicator as adhesion in numbers on a pack of glue. Usually, manufacturers indicate simply “High adhesion” and “Glides well after contact with the wall”, however, whether this is really so can only be found out in practice. The only thing that can be said for sure is that the presence of PVA in the composition increases the level of adhesion. Methylcellulose has a higher adhesive power than modified starch, so study carefully.!
Compatible with the intended application surface. Usually, the packaging indicates for which surfaces the glue is intended – wood, metal, concrete, plaster, chipboard, fiberboard, etc. Most of the wallpaper adhesives can be used on various surfaces, but still this point should be clarified.
The amount of fungicides and bactericides in the mixture should not exceed 3%. Too many of these supplements can negatively affect health..
The neutral acid-base indicator of wallpaper glue is pH. To prevent yellow spots from appearing on the wallpaper, the pH level should not exceed 6-7.
Moisture resistance. It is determined by the ability of the glue not to soften in the case of high humidity. Relevant if you plan to glue wallpaper in the bathroom or on the kitchen apron, as well as if it is often damp in your house.
Hygiene. Means the absence of unpleasant odors and harmful substances.
The consumption of wallpaper glue is determined by the area of the room. Usually one package of dry universal mix weighing 250 grams is enough to glue 5-8 rolls of wallpaper 10 meters long and 0.53 meters wide. Manufacturers traditionally indicate the consumption of glue on the packaging. You can calculate how many rolls you need by measuring the perimeter of the room, excluding door and window openings from it, and calculating the number of cuts along the height of your room.
The cost of the glue will depend on its quality, type and manufacturer. Wallpaper glue of foreign production traditionally costs an order of magnitude more expensive than domestic. We have selected the most popular and widespread wallpaper adhesives in our country and compared their cost:
- Universal glue of the Metylan trademark, intended for all types of paper wallpaper, will cost an average of 105 rubles for a standard package weighing 250 grams.
- Glue “Methylane” for vinyl wallpaper – already about 150 rubles for the same package.
- Glue “Methylane” for non-woven wallpaper – from 180 rubles.
- Wallpaper glue “Methylane” pink, that is, with an application indicator, for vinyl wallpaper – 250 rubles for a 500-gram package.
- Kleo glue for non-woven, vinyl and textile wallpapers, 250 grams – about 100 rubles.
- The cheapest glue in a package weighing 100 grams that we managed to find is universal, the Moment Classic brand for paper wallpaper – only 25 rubles.
- In addition, those who want to save money can purchase CMC wallpaper glue in bags at a price of about 68 rubles per kilogram, but it contains only methylcellulose, there are no antifungal additives, it is used exclusively for ordinary paper wallpaper.
- Omega brand glue for textile wallpaper – from 75 rubles for a standard package weighing 300 grams.
- Ready-made liquid wallpaper adhesives have a number of advantages – lumps will definitely not appear in them, they are applied in a thinner layer, and are convenient to use. Usually sold in 5, 10 and 15 liter buckets. The price of liquid glue of the Bostik brand for glass fiber wallpaper is on average 1,700 rubles per 15 liters.
- A 15-liter pack of ready-made glue of the “Color” brand for paper, textile and vinyl wallpaper will cost less – about 700 rubles.
- Another popular brand of wallpaper glue in our country is Quelyd. A package of such glue weighing 250 grams costs from 93 to 149 rubles, depending on the type.
The basic principle: the cheapest adhesives are for paper wallpapers, the most expensive ones are for glass fabrics. Heavy packages are more economical. If you need to wallpaper a large enough area, it is more profitable to buy a package weighing 500 grams than two – 250 grams each.
Some people still believe that since starch is the basis of wallpaper glue, you can not buy ready-made mixtures at all, but make the paste yourself. For these thrifty homeowners, here’s a simple recipe for homemade wallpaper glue..
For 10 liters of finished paste, you will need about 1 kilogram of ordinary rye or wheat flour or flour dust and any starch, for example, corn, potato or maize. Pre-sifted flour and starch through a sieve should be diluted with water to the consistency of thick sour cream, stirring constantly – the risk of lumps appearing is very high. Then the paste is brewed, that is, brought to a boil. To increase the adhesive power, some advise adding wood glue to the paste, but it can cause yellow spots on the wallpaper. Therefore, it is better to use about 100 grams of regular PVA. To prevent the paste under the wallpaper from rotting, you can also add 50 grams of alum or 25 grams of 0.25% carbolic acid per 10 liters of paste..
Remember that it is difficult to guess the consistency and amount of PVA required for reliable adhesion. The paste is stored for a very short time – it has the best adhesive properties immediately after brewing and cooling. Homemade wallpaper glue can come in handy if you have not calculated the amount of the purchased one, but you want to glue the wallpaper right now. In other cases, to be honest, it is impractical – spend a lot of time, and taking into account the affordable cost of the finished glue, you won’t save so much.
The wallpaper paste should only be diluted with cold clean water in a clean container. Water is added in the amount indicated on the package. However, many experts emphasize that manufacturers often overestimate the amount of water required, so add gradually – you will see that the solution has become quite liquid – enough.
The dry mixture should be added in portions, stirring constantly so that there are no lumps. If lumps do appear, it is advisable to strain the solution.
Remember that the heavier the wallpaper, the thicker the diluted glue should be. Thus, if you have chosen a universal dry mix, then for heavy wallpapers it should be diluted with less water than for paper ones. For the glue to be completely ready, it should be allowed to stand for 20-30 minutes..
Apply glue to wallpaper and walls (if you chose non-woven wallpaper – only to the wall) should be carefully, not missing a single section. Convenient when the glue changes color during dilution – you can immediately see where you missed.
Important! Remember the basic rule: the base under the wallpaper must be dry, clean, durable, smooth enough and absorbent.
The main sign that the wallpaper was glued reliably and efficiently is the fact that when you try to tear the canvas off the wall, the wallpaper breaks not along the seam, but along the paper. Of course, next time it will be difficult for you to clean the walls of old wallpaper, but that will be when! And this time, you definitely chose the wallpaper glue correctly..