The process of wallpapering does not always go smoothly and end up with an ideal result. Bubbles on the wallpaper are not uncommon, quite often the owners are faced with this annoying drawback of brand new wall decoration. Our tips site will tell you how to quickly and easily remove bubbles formed on the wallpaper..
Let’s first find out what can cause bubbles to appear on the wallpaper:
- The walls were not prepared. They had to be carefully leveled, putty, and primed. Uneven walls can easily cause bubbles;
- Too much glue. If heavy vinyl wallpaper is used, then there will be no problems with excess glue, but ordinary paper ones get wet quickly, wrinkle, stretch, and shrink when dry. So much for the bubbles;
- The adhesive was incorrectly selected. It is important to buy a composition specifically for your type of wallpaper, read the instructions on the package;
- The wallpaper was dried in direct sunlight or in a draft. Such conditions can lead to the wallpaper shrinking too quickly during the accelerated drying process, which causes the appearance of bubbles;
- We ignored the instructions and applied glue only to the wallpaper itself. In some cases, it must be additionally applied to the wall;
- We were in a hurry. The most common reason. We were in a hurry, did not carefully smoothen the wallpaper on the wall, did not use a special spatula, roller, just a dry rag. Then do not be surprised that the quality of wall decoration is not the best.
We advise you to re-read the portal’s instructions for gluing wallpaper on the wall and ceiling. Following our recommendations, you will definitely do everything right and will not encounter bubbles after gluing the wallpaper..
Let’s take a look at four ways to remove the bubble from the wallpaper:
- The first option is only suitable if the wallpaper has not yet dried. Having found a bubble, you need to very carefully peel off a strip of wallpaper from the wall, not all of it, of course, but only where the problem is detected and directly to the place of air accumulation. Then we smooth out the wallpaper again, literally squeezing the bubble to the edge of the strip;
- Needle. A regular needle, which needs to pierce the bubble in the middle to squeeze out excess glue and air from the inside. This option is also used exclusively in cases where the glue under the wallpaper has not yet dried, but it is no longer possible to peel off the strip carefully;
- The third method requires a conventional medical injection syringe and is suitable for cases where the wallpaper is already dry. Gently pierce the middle of the bubble with a syringe needle, suck out the air. Then we type glue into the syringe – it must be liquid enough to pass through the needle. And we introduce the glue solution inside the bubble, under the wallpaper. Then we smooth everything thoroughly, removing the remnants of glue that can come out of the punctured hole;
- The fourth method can be called surgical. It is used if the bladder is large and the hole from the needle is clearly not enough to cope with the problem. You need to cut the swollen place in the middle with a scalpel, a very sharp and thin knife (you can take a clerical one) or a straight razor. Inside, you need to pour glue again, you can again use a syringe, but without a needle, because our hole is quite large. The rest of the steps are the same – the wallpaper is leveled with a soft cloth or spatula.
If there are a lot of bubbles, the methods we have indicated do not help in any way to correct the picture, all that remains is to rip off the entire strip and glue it again, this time following all the instructions, slowly.
Important! Some homeowners decide to simply cover the wallpaper bubble with a painting, a mirror, or a clock. Well, the option is not bad, if this particular object is appropriate in this place of the wall, it will actually act as an element of interior decor. And in this case, let the wallpaper hang in this state until the next repair..