- Varieties of adhesive tape and its recognition based on the specifics of the application
- We select the most suitable solvent for the composition of the adhesive base
- What chemical compounds are detrimental to plastic
- Are household chemicals and solvents safe for all glasses?
Before experimenting with trying to find a way to remove glass and plastic from tape, you should study the composition of the adhesive base. In addition, not every plastic will withstand exposure to highly corrosive chemicals. It is not so difficult to understand which base was used in the manufacture of your scotch tape, as there are generally recognized standards..
Varieties of adhesive tape and its recognition based on the specifics of the application
To select a means for removing adhesive tape, let’s go back to creating it. Adhesive tape is made for different conditions of use. One can withstand outdoor use and is not afraid of bad weather and temperature drops, the other must hold a lot of weight, the third is suitable for office purposes, etc. They all differ in appearance and by these signs you can determine the adhesive composition.
Adhesive bases in different types of adhesive tapes and transfer tapes:
1. Natural rubber – most often it has a brown tint, even with a transparent base, as if a thin layer of Moment glue was applied to the canvas. This tape is used for food packaging and instead of the guard tape. There are single-color ribbons. They are united by their temperature threshold when used from -35 to +45 ° С and their high price, therefore it is difficult to meet it on the counter.
2. Thermoactive rubber adhesives – used in the production of euro glues (adhesive transfer tape). It is found on modern heaters, decorative elements, etc. As a rule, it is used in the production of such products, and is not sold in a retail store.
3. Artificial rubber – visually, they practically do not differ from tapes with an adhesive base made of natural rubber, but the price of rolls is slightly lower. Almost all types of tape with a yellowish tint that you see in a hardware store have such a base..
4. Acrylic adhesive – the usual stationery tape. It is easy to recognize it, for transparent tapes the roll does not have a rich yellow tint.
5. Silicone Adhesive – Looks like a transparent tape made up entirely of “rubber” adhesive. The base can be of any color, but in all cases it is removed for gluing two surfaces. Used in double-sided tape.
Of course, there may be exceptions and handicraft production, but the bulk of manufacturers try to adhere to the characteristics familiar to the consumer..
We select the most suitable solvent for the composition of the adhesive base
After determining which adhesive was used to make the tape, you can choose how to remove it. In addition, this knowledge will help us determine which types of tapes should not be heated for removal..
1. Rubber glue – you can preheat the tape with a construction hairdryer, and after removing it, remove the remnants of the glue with B-70 gasoline or galoshes, acetone, ethyl acetate, solvent 646 and toluene. It makes no sense to heat with a household hairdryer, since the glue can easily withstand temperatures up to 45-50 ° С.
2. Artificial rubber (synthetic rubber) – removed by solvents based on chlorinated hydrocarbons (acetone, nitrobenzene, aniline and chlorobenzene).
3. Thermoactive rubber adhesives – it is impossible to heat with a building hair dryer, as when the temperature rises, they are “crosslinked” to the surface at the molecular level. Since the composition includes synthetic rubber, first we pry and cut off the tape with a thin fishing line, and dissolve the adhesive layer in the same way as artificial rubber.
4. Acrylic adhesive – the adhesive layer is well washed off with pharmacy Dimexide or acetone.
5. Silicone adhesive – the remnants of glue are removed with white spirit, acetone, kerosene and solvent 646. Simple scrubbing will not help, you need to moisten a rag and put it on the areas with glue for half an hour. If the surface is vertical, moisten the napkins and “glue” them to it. As the wipes dry, you can spray them with solvent. After half an hour, the glue will soften and it can be removed with a spatula (preferably with a rubber one).
Also remember to work with solvents with gloves and a respirator. If you cannot use chemicals and abrasives, purchase a rubber drill bit. Some simply cut off a piece of unnecessary rubber, and if the area is small, use a regular eraser.
What chemical compounds are detrimental to plastic
When choosing a way to clean glass and plastic from adhesive tape, pay attention to what the surface of the product is made of. Moreover, each type of plastic has its own solvent enemy. For example, cellulose nitrate plastic is afraid of acetone. This type of plastic is found when imitating ivory..
Polystyrene plastic is soluble in benzene. It is used for laminating wood products, ceiling tiles and decorative panels. Plexiglass cannot be cleaned with chloroform. Some plafonds and elements for decorative glazing are made from it..
Are household chemicals and solvents safe for all glasses?
Although glass is used even in chemical laboratories, it can also change its appearance when exposed to solvents. It is better not to wash frosted glass with products based on acetone, gasoline and silicone. In modern bags, various sprays and films are used that protect from the sun and retain heat. Therefore, it is better to check in advance on the manufacturer’s website which chemicals can harm them..
As mild as the glass and plastic scotch remover is, never apply it directly to the surface. First moisten a small area that is not striking, and after drying, try to wash the composition along with the remaining glue. Some products leave permanent streaks even on glass.