Problems with keeping fresh, just finished finishing may arise even during the renovation. The dust was not removed immediately, and it settled on the freshly painted walls. We moved the furniture – we hooked the wallpaper. Our tips site will give you helpful tips on how to preserve your finish when finishing renovations.
The first thing we advise you to do if you are planning a repair by someone else’s hands is to choose neat performers. Yes, precisely neat. Which immediately remove construction waste and material residues, do not smoke at the work site. You need not just skillful and experienced hands, but people who are ready to preserve your property, take good care of the things and supplies of finishing materials left at the repair site..
Important! Immediately stipulate such an important point as compensation for losses. If during work one of the workers breaks something, ruins, scratches something – who will pay for it? In the contract with the team of contractors, it should be indicated who will be responsible for the compensation for possible losses, at whose expense the rework will be carried out. Prepayment – yes, it is usually present. But from the post-payment, that is, after the fact of the work performed, it is quite possible to deduct losses for everything damaged.
If you do not hire a team with a foreman who will be responsible for everything, but individual foremen, we strongly advise you to visit the facility in the morning and in the evening and control the work process. Otherwise, you will not be able to notice problems in time and calculate losses..
The second tip is to provide protective, covering materials. This is your area of responsibility, everything you need should be at the place of repair. Otherwise, the spoiled finishing will already be your fault, there was nothing to protect it.
What you need:
- In an article on the sequence of repair work, the portal strongly advised leaving the old toilet and sink while the dirtiest rough work was underway. Here they will wash their hands from plaster and putty, use the toilet as intended. It is better to install new plumbing later in order to preserve its original appearance;
- Protect brand new double-glazed windows with masking tape. You will still have to wash the glasses themselves after repairs, but so that they are not scratched, you should hang them with a film;
- A rag will help to save the floor covering, and on top of it – sheets of cardboard, even better and more reliable – hardboard, fastened together with an overlap tape. Carefully make sure that there is no debris under the rags that can scratch the laminate or parquet while walking, under the weight of people. So first cleaning the cover, then protecting it. This will provide you with the opportunity to calmly walk on the floor in dirty shoes, put up a stepladder, mark tools and not be afraid to damage the expensive finishing of the floor;
- Cover the window sills with foil, cardboard, and put a rag under them. And, of course, under no circumstances use them instead of stepladders or construction goats.!
- The slopes, platbands, the interior and entrance doors themselves during the repair are closed with cardboard, fastened with tape. It is very convenient to use the packaging itself, in which the doors were tightly delivered. You can fix a film on top of the cardboard to surely protect the door from paint drops or other spilled liquid;
- Install new faucets at the last moment, because the risk of thoroughly staining and even damaging them is great;
Important! It is strictly forbidden to drain the remains of building mixtures into the sewer system! You can completely clog the drain with the remains of plaster and concrete. Do not wash tools or shoes with such residues in the sink. In the worst case, you generally have to do a complete dismantling, because no means of draining from building mixtures will clear!
- In the same way, we advise you to cover the heating radiators with foil and cardboard during the repair, if you have already changed them or did not plan to change them at all. It will be difficult to wash them from pieces of dried plaster mixture, paint, wallpaper glue;
- We cover all built-in or simply remaining furniture at the place of repair work with a thick film, lay cardboard in the corners for reliability. Only in this way, under several layers of polyethylene, the furniture will keep its facades in their original form;
- Store stocks of finishing materials neatly, separately from construction waste, protecting them from moisture and dust.
Finally, a few more important tips:
- Remove garbage immediately, do not dispose of it at the repair site. It will be trivial to interfere and cause problems;
- If you have hired workers doing repairs, provide them with a place for eating away from the freshly plastered walls, in the center of the room;
- Record the repair process in a photo to stock up on evidence of damage to the decoration or furniture;
- Do not save on designer supervision if you have already ordered a design project and are cooperating with a specialist.