You have taken a very important step – you have bought a new house. Rather, the house itself is no longer a new building, someone lived in it, repairs have been made. But for you, this is a completely new home, which you want to put in order before moving. Our tips site will present you with a list of things to do first..
Again, we are talking about moving to an already inhabited house that does not require major repairs. Nevertheless, the new owners have a lot of tasks:
- Change the lock on the front door. You do not know who could have left a set of keys to your new house – a realtor, a visiting housekeeper, friends of the previous owners … For peace of mind and safety, it is better to change the lock as soon as the previous owners move out;
- Change the toilet seat. We are sure that this item does not raise questions and its necessity is not disputed by anyone. In addition, you need to check all faucets, even if you did so when inspecting your home before purchasing. Time passed, the previous owners moved, you never know. There were cases when unscrupulous sellers simply took faucets with them. Or put old ones instead of those that were shown to potential buyers initially;
- To clean up. Perhaps the previous owners tried to keep your house clean. But you still want to do it your own way, to put everything in order. Wash sinks and tubs, shower stalls, windows, baseboards, and so on. You can, of course, hire a cleaning company, but it is quite possible to cope with the forces of your family, calling for help from everyone you can. Actually, you have a general cleaning. But the task is easier, because you have not yet transported your own things, there are fewer things that interfere with washing the floor;
- Paint walls, doors, built-in wardrobes. Yes, major repairs are not needed, but there will definitely be places that you want to renovate. For example, the facade of the kitchen set of the previous owners. Or an interior door. Or the wall in the hallway. You can also re-glue the wallpaper here and there, if they are in poor condition. But this is a more global task;
- Consider storage locations. Walk through the rooms and think about where exactly you will store the vacuum cleaner, mop, whether there is enough space for outerwear. Now is the time to think about buying a new rack with open shelves, hangers in the hallway and other things that will be needed immediately after the move;
- Check the operation of sockets and switches. They will have to be replaced if necessary. It will be problematic to install additional sockets for now if no repair is planned. You may need to worry about the extension cord;
- Check the operation of all equipment. How the boiler, water heater, boiler, air conditioner work. You need to prepare everything for your move, so that later you do not run in search of a master. Maybe it is advisable to clean the heating system and air conditioner, making sure that everything will be in perfect order after settling;
- Hang curtains. Yes, just like that, right away. This will instantly add comfort to the house. In addition, your “native” curtains will make the move psychologically more comfortable. In addition, you may urgently need to hang something on the windows to hide from the prying eyes of new neighbors..
This is a list of top-priority things to do before moving. Then, having settled down in a new place, you will be able to draw up a plan for future repairs, you will understand that you are absolutely not satisfied with what needs to be redone. And the portal wrote in detail about how to prepare for the move itself.