We have written in detail about the pros and cons of carrying out construction work in winter. Now let’s talk about what finishing work can be done in the winter, and which is better to postpone until spring and the onset of heat.
Immediately, we note that if we are talking about the interior decoration of a well-heated apartment, then there are no restrictions. The rooms are warm and dry, so it is quite possible to do finishing work, despite the frost outside. However, if we are talking about a private new house, where there is no heating yet, the situation is completely different.!
Let’s deal with the processes that can be carried out inside and outside an unheated house in winter:
1. At the first stage, it is very important to ensure the correct storage of all building and finishing materials in frost and snow conditions. We have devoted a separate article to this topic, so we will no longer dwell on this point..
2. First, let’s talk about the facade. It is generally possible to brick it in winter, but this increases the risk of efflorescence in the future. In addition, it is necessary to use exclusively a solution with antifreeze additives, reagents. It is possible to sheathe the facade with siding even in winter, these are “dry” works. But you should not tighten the fasteners too tightly in order to neutralize deformation due to temperature changes. In addition, panels can become brittle in freezing temperatures. As for plastering the facade in winter, you will need to build a greenhouse. This is a reinforced film that is stretched over scaffolding. It turns out, as it were, a greenhouse around the house, inside which, using heat guns, you can raise the temperature to +10 ° C, which will allow you to work with plaster. In general, the greenhouse will not interfere with any facade work in winter, it will be possible to work safely inside. But arranging a greenhouse is an additional investment of time and effort, think about it when deciding whether to postpone the finishing of the facade until spring.
3. I have already written about the installation of plastic windows in winter, all the risks associated with this process are completely removable and there are no restrictions.
4. In the most unheated house in winter it is quite possible to be engaged in the installation of electrical wiring and laying water pipes. However, after a test run of the water supply system, the pipes should be completely emptied so that they do not freeze and burst.
5. In a cold house, you can also do the arrangement of the frame for drywall. The metal profile is mounted even in an unheated room, you can wire it inside the frame. But it is not recommended to sheathe it with plasterboard at subzero temperatures! Drywall absorbs moisture, therefore, with its installation it is better to wait not just until spring, but until summer, so that nothing will definitely lead and swell.
6. To plaster the walls you will have to warm up the room. It is easier to do this in the house, you do not need to build a greenhouse. Close windows and doors and heat with heat guns or electric heaters. The room should be heated at least one day before finishing work. And it is better in two days, so that the walls warm up for sure, and the excess moisture evaporates.
Important! Always observe the temperature regime that manufacturers indicate on the packaging with finishing materials! There are mixtures that can be used at temperatures from +5 ° C, and there are compounds that need at least +10 ° C.
7. Wallpaper can only be glued when the room is at least +5 ° C. Wallpaper glue simply does not tolerate frost, destructive for wallpaper and temperature changes.
8. Tiles can also be laid only if the room temperature rises to +10 ° C, otherwise the solution will harden much longer, problems are possible.
Important! In general, the greatest difficulties when decorating an unheated house in winter arise with materials that contain even a small amount of water. For example, in the cold, water-dispersion paints, other paints and varnishes, ordinary cement mixtures cannot be used..
In addition, it is not recommended to install the flooring in subzero temperatures. We are talking about laminate and parquet, for which excess moisture is destructive, as well as temperature changes. And ordinary linoleum in the cold becomes brittle, it should be warmed up before laying.