Do not underestimate the role of the siphon in your home’s sewer system. This important detail does not allow odors from the sewer to enter the house or apartment, and helps to ensure drainage without blockages. In general, the siphon, about the device of which Our website sovetov.ru already wrote, is a tube with a sump or bend. It connects the sink drain to the general sewage system.
If the sink is double, there are two drain holes, then the siphon will be appropriate – with two adapters with grates and an additional tube that will connect them. A double siphon can be multilevel if attached to the sump at different heights.
First, let’s talk about the materials from which the siphon can be made:
- Plastic. The most popular option. Inexpensive, durable, convenient, easy to install, a huge selection of models and sizes for a variety of sinks;
- Metal. Galvanized steel, brass, copper. Much more expensive, so this type of siphon is not so popular. They are usually installed if the place under the sink is not planned to be hidden behind furniture facades, so a beautiful metal siphon becomes part of the design.
Now let’s consider all the existing types of siphons:
- Bottle. It is easy to recognize by a noticeable detail that really resembles a bottle. There is always water here, creating a water seal, and all sufficiently large objects that have fallen into the sink drain are deposited. You need to clean the bottle siphon regularly, it’s simple – the bottom part of the “collection bottle” is unscrewed;
- Corrugated. Such a siphon is also easy to recognize by the presence of a flexible corrugated tube, which always has a bend to form a water seal. A popular and inexpensive option, the tube can be removed and cleaned, but its uneven surface is poorly washed from grease and debris;
- With overflow. Such siphons have an additional detail – an overflow pipe that runs from the sink to the hose. This device eliminates the risk of water getting on the floor, but siphons with overflow are more expensive;
- With jet burst. The main difference between such siphons is the presence of a gap between the holes for receiving and discharging water. The hole is small, but it does not allow germs from the sewer to enter the sink. Such siphons are considered professional, are more expensive and often stop in catering establishments;
- Hidden. It can have any design, just the siphon is hidden in the wall or in a specially built box;
- Pipe. It has a bend in the shape of the letter S. Compact, a water seal is created in the bend. However, to clean the siphon, the pipes in the places of bends will have to be unscrewed;
- Flat. The most compact. Most often, flat siphons are used for installation under showers, where there is very little space. Or under the sink, if there is a washing machine in the same place, for example.
The price for double siphons will be slightly higher than for the model with one drain, this is understandable. And the price range itself is very different: you can find plastic double siphons for 300-400 rubles, and there are metal models that cost over 5 thousand rubles. It all depends on the material, the complexity of the design and the manufacturer..
How to mount a double siphon with your own hands, we will show in the video: