The main task of the drain is to protect the facade and the surrounding area from the high humidity that occurs after rains and melting snow. If the drainage system does not cope with this, various problems may arise, including the destruction of paths near the walls of the house, roof leaks, deterioration of the facade finish.
Let’s highlight the main problems with gutters and ways to solve them:
- Violation of installation technology. We described in great detail how to assemble a drainage system with our own hands. Strictly adhere to these rules, otherwise problems with the drain will arise immediately after the first heavy downpour. In case of problems with the installation, you will have to redo the system, correct the mistakes made, strengthen the fasteners and create the desired slope of the gutter;
- The drain was damaged by icing, snow or heavy hail. The appearance of holes or cracks always requires replacement of the damaged parts. In this case, nothing can be done – you will have to buy spare parts and install instead of the leaky ones. Anti-ice systems on the roof will help protect the drain from heavy snow and ice melt, but they will not save you from hail;
Important! Whenever you replace parts of the gutter, you should buy original components of the exact series that was used during installation! The dimensions of the connections may vary slightly depending on the manufacturer, so buy gutter parts from the same brand.
- Garbage in the drainage system. This problem can be solved quite simply, and it only takes time, not money. If the gutters, seals, joints are clogged with fallen leaves and other debris, you will need to clean and rinse everything. You will need a narrow scoop, a brush of a suitable size, for accuracy it is advisable to use a hose to flush the gutters with a strong pressure of water. We advise you to install debris-proof gutters to prevent this problem. Now, by the way, there are even special robots for cleaning gutters. True, they cost a lot, so the manual cleaning method is still much more popular;
- Leakage of the drain at the joints. It should be recalled here that there are two options for connecting the components of drainage systems – seals and glue. In the first case, it is a little easier to cope with the problem – the leak is due to the fact that the seals are loose, the rubber gaskets are worn out. It is enough to tighten them or replace them to solve the problem. In the case of using an adhesive system, sometimes it is enough to additionally seal the joints, but more often it is necessary to change the entire segment. A separate case is a leak at the joints of a metal drain. You will have to remove, drill out the existing rivets and apply a new sealant;
- Metal gutters can rust over time, plastic gutters can crack. In this case, there is no choice but to replace old parts..
Let us emphasize: with the right choice of the drainage system and proper installation, it will practically have no weak points. Such high-quality gutters established according to all the rules serve for decades without significant problems. Maximum – sometimes you still have to clear them of debris.