The main feature of modular ladders is not a one-piece structure, but a collapsible one, which is mounted at the installation site, but made in the factory. A standard staircase of this type has three modules – basic, fixed to the floor of the first and second (second-third) floors, and also the middle one, which can be created according to the customer’s dimensions, with different heights and widths of steps. Basic modules are the start and end modules for the stairs.
1 – lower module; 2 – middle module; 3 – top module; 4 – support 1 m; 5 – support 2 m; 6 – floor of the first floor; 7 – floor of the second floor; 8 – handrail cap / plug; 9 – angular hinge; 10 – baluster 900 mm
We have given only one scheme of a modular staircase, because they are very different, but the general details are common to all:
- the modules themselves that make up the frame of the stairs.
- retaining racks, they are vertical supports.
- handrail posts, that is, balusters.
The frame of the modular staircase is traditionally made of stainless steel or structural steel. In the latter case, the metal is coated with a special paint and varnish composition or polymer. If the frame is wooden – the structure was created to order, according to individual requirements, ready-made modules are always metal.
For the steps of a modular staircase, natural wood, pressed plywood, plastic, PVC, pressed glued wood are most often used. The price of a staircase often seriously depends on the material of the frame and steps, because inexpensive plastic is one thing and a natural solid oak is quite another..
By configuration, modular stairs are usually divided into the following types:
- straight lines. The simplest designs, no turns and corners.
- marching, with one or two turns. Three-flight stairs are usually used for rooms with sufficiently high ceilings.
- screw. Considered the most compact, but not always the most comfortable.
Depending on the geometry of the descent, modular staircases can be “G” or “P” -shaped, arcuate, run-in.
Important! The maximum height of the modular ladder is 3.5 m! This, of course, is sufficient for use in a home with a standard blade height..
The advantages of modular stairs include:
- relatively inexpensive price, especially when compared to on-site all-wood or solid concrete structures.
- quite presentable and attractive appearance.
- you can choose the height of the steps for yourself, order the stairs of the desired shape.
- for different types of structures, the same connecting elements and parts are used. Installation is quite simple, if desired, the ladder can be assembled by hand.
- take up less space than other staircase options.
- modular design can be disassembled and moved to another place.
- high-quality modular ladders on a reliable metal frame with wear-resistant steps serve for a long time.
However, modular staircases may have disadvantages. For example, a slight skew may appear during operation. This risk arises if the docking of the elements of the modules was carried out loosely, in the event of a violation of the technological process. After a few years, the stairs can also begin to sag, which will immediately be felt when walking. Both of these shortcomings, however, can be eliminated by finding out the cause and sealing the desired connection..
In addition, individual manufacturers immediately indicate that the ladder is designed, for example, for a 200–250 kg load. That is, the three of us can no longer climb.
Parts of modular stairs can be connected as follows:
- “Module to module”. All parts are fastened with pipes that fit into each other. This method belongs to the first generation modular stairs..
- “Threaded rod”. The elements are connected, as the name implies, with a threaded stud.
- “On a clamp”. This is the second generation of modular ladders, the elements are fastened with bolts or tension screws.
Assembly “on a clamp” is considered the most reliable, but also the most expensive, consider this point. In general, modular stairs have a lot of advantages, including a large selection of design options. Therefore, this type of staircase has every chance of gaining even greater popularity..