The screen installed in front of the fireplace insert has several most important functions:
- Protect the room from sparks and burning coals. Of course, when equipping a fireplace in the interior, the owners always make sure that the flooring around it is fireproof and non-combustible. However, even well-dried firewood can eventually “shoot” sparks and coals, scattering quite far. An obstacle is needed in front of an open firebox;
- Children and pets in the home are a very good reason to install a screen protector. You never know who wants to poke a curious nose closer to the burning logs;
- The screen also helps to create efficient air circulation in front of the fireplace. As a result, due to the additional radiation from the screen itself, the room warms up faster, the firebox does not generate heat, but pleasant warmth;
- Decorative function. We will not specify anything, just look at the photos we have selected to make sure that the screen in front of the fireplace looks very beautiful and becomes a decorative element.
By design features, protective screens for fireplaces are divided into two types:
- Built-in. They become part of the firebox and it will be difficult to dismantle such protection. This can be an attached door, a curtain built into the wall, welded sashes. Therefore, you should think about installing such protection right away if you build a fireplace with your own hands or hire a professional stove-maker;
- A separate panel, a screen, which is installed in front of the firebox on support legs, it can consist of several fastened parts that form a semicircle. There are also simple flat screens from one piece.
Note that even if a false fireplace is installed, the protective screen will not be superfluous. If the fireplace is electric or gas, candles are simply installed in the portal, children and animals can still get hurt if they show curiosity and approach the heated elements. In addition, it is simply beautiful and will make the false fireplace look more like a real one..
Important! The dimensions of the protective screen must exceed the width and height of the fireplace insert, otherwise safety will be called into question.
They make protective screens for fireplaces from such durable and non-combustible materials as cast iron, steel, bronze, brass, copper, heat-resistant ceramic glass.
For reliable protection, a very fine metal mesh is attached to the forged frame so that not a single spark can fly through such an obstacle. Glass as a protection is a good option, because it will not hide the flame in the firebox and spoil the pleasure of watching the fire. Stained-glass screens look very beautiful, which change the light coming from the fireplace, and make the whole picture simply luxurious.
Important! The only drawback of all protective screens for real fireplaces is that they quickly become dirty with soot, because they stand directly in front of the fire. This will be especially noticeable on glass screens, which will have to be washed regularly..
Depending on their interior and fireplace design, the owners will be able to choose any protective screen – from the laconic high-tech style to the graceful curlicues of the Baroque. The main thing is that this detail fits into the overall picture and does not violate the concept chosen by the owners..
As for the price, we must admit that the spread here is very large. You can find a simple protective screen at a price of 3 thousand rubles, or you can find exclusive options that cost about 50 thousand rubles. If you are friends with welding and want to try your hand at blacksmithing, you can make a protective screen for the fireplace with your own hands.