We considered the advantages and disadvantages of the location of the bath in the house and as a separate building on the site. There are no less questions with the garage, even more. The place of permanent car parking has a lot of differences from the steam room and the waiting room, so this issue requires special attention.
Let’s take a closer look at what are the advantages of a garage, which has become part of a residential building:
- You don’t have to go outside to get in your car and go on business. You especially appreciate the advantages of entering the garage directly from home when there is wind, frost, or rain outside. In this case, you can ignore all the vicissitudes of the weather. And when you return from the store, you can safely bring your purchases from the car straight to the kitchen, without running down the street with bags.
- In a garage adjacent to the house or being part of the first or basement floor, it is much easier to conduct communications. Including heating, the car will always be warm.
- In the garage, which is part of the house, it is convenient to store various sports equipment, children’s sleds and bicycles, for example. You do not need to go around the site every time to get the right thing.
- The garage in the house can be used not only for its intended purpose. You can equip a workshop here, a boiler room, for example, and even a laundry – an option that is sometimes found in American homes..
- The garage does not take up space on the site.
- The car is always under control, there is less risk that someone will open the garage using its secluded location.
- Above the garage in the form of an extension, you can equip a spacious balcony as a recreation area, place living quarters.
It seems that the garage in the house is the best option. But this is by no means the case! Let’s move on to the disadvantages of this arrangement:
- Machine – a technique that runs on combustible fuel, with electronics and wires. The risk of fire increases, and if the garage is in the house, the fire will immediately spread to living quarters. Fire hazard must be taken into account.
- Even in the case of proper ventilation in the garage, exhaust gases can pull into the house. Unpleasant and harmful.
- You will have to spend extra money on noise and waterproofing so that the sounds of the starting car do not interfere with the rest of the household. Waterproofing is necessary if the garage is located on the basement floor, because there is much more risk of high humidity, and groundwater can be located high.
- The garage will “eat” the usable space on the ground floor, the house itself will be larger, that is, it will cost more.
- In winter and during rains, there will be dirt in the garage, which is most likely to get into the house..
- Experts say that there is a greater risk of corrosion due to the presence of permanent central heating. This is caused by high humidity and temperature differences outside and indoors..
A freestanding garage has its advantages:
- You can put it directly at the entrance to the site. Then you don’t have to open the gate to enter the courtyard – the entrance to the garage is right on the street.
- On a free-standing garage, you can save money by choosing inexpensive roofing materials and a lightweight foundation.
- No noise isolation needed.
- Dirt from the garage will not enter the house, as well as unpleasant odors.
A detached garage has enough cons:
- The structure will take place on the site.
- You will have to specially clear the entrances to the garage, separately from the house – additional efforts and a waste of time in the winter after each snowfall. And there are many more paths to cover.
- If you need to stretch communications, there will be costs.
- You will have to run to the garage to the car in any weather.
- If the garage is planned as a capital structure, suitable for the style of the facade to the main house, the cost of its construction will be rather big.
It’s up to you, of course, to decide whether to build a garage separately or to fit it into a residential building project. We just highlighted all the pros and cons of these options, helping you make the right choice..