Gloves, mittens, mittens, leggings are used in a very wide range of repair work: welding, reinforcing, concrete, finishing, roofing, earthen, heat-insulating, carpentry and so on. For each type of work, you can find a suitable pair of hand protectors, usually the specialization of gloves or mittens is immediately indicated by the manufacturers.
So, let’s start with the material from which work gloves or mittens can be made:
- Cotton, or rather, cotton thread. It is used to create knitted knitted gloves. This is the simplest and most common option, but you should be aware that there are several classes of mating. The higher the knitting class, the smaller the cell between the individual threads will be, that is, the stronger the gloves. The main knitting classes include: 10 (three to five strands), 7.5 (four to six strands) and 7 (yarn comes with six strands). In construction supermarkets, cotton gloves of the 7th class are most often presented;
- Special mention should be made of PVC coated cotton gloves. Such a coating can be solid or partial, in the form of dots or waves on the parts of the product most susceptible to wear. Everyone is familiar with such gloves, which can be called universal protection when working in the garden, loading and unloading materials, and other simple, not too dangerous activities;
- Split leather and leather. For the manufacture of gloves, leather is not used in solid pieces, because in cattle and pigs it is too thick, it will be simply impossible to work. Split refers to the layer of skin that comes after the cut of the grain, the topmost expensive and high-quality layer. It is from the split leather that leggings are made for welders, which are necessary to protect hands from fragments of molten metal, burrs, scales, sharp edges, exposure to the welding arc, contact with heated surfaces;
- Latex. This material is obtained from artificial or natural rubber, which, when vulcanized, turns into rubber. Due to their minimal permeability, latex gloves are used where protection from chemicals is needed, for example, various paints, hydrated lime. A durable material with good insulating properties, but latex gloves do not allow the skin to breathe, palms sweat, allergic reactions are possible;
- Nitrile. It is a petroleum-based artificial polymer. Compared to natural latex, nitrile is a more reliable protection, it is stronger, but at the same time tougher. As in the case of PVC coated, nitrile film is often applied to cotton construction gloves in whole or in part. This protection is called “doused gloves”. Specialists call nitrile products universal protection against chemicals, they are also used for heavy construction work;
- Neoprene. This is a petroleum based polymer of chlorobutadiene, this film with intermolecular bonds is called foamed rubber. Neoprene gloves are very comfortable and not as stiff as nitrile gloves. In addition, neoprene insulates from current, so gloves made of this material are often used during electrical work..
- Vinyl. This material is an inexpensive alternative to neoprene and nitrile, created by polymerizing vinyl chloride monomer. In terms of quality and performance, vinyl gloves are inferior to neoprene and nitrile;
- Kevlar. If you need protection from cuts, you have to work with dangerous sharp objects, you need to cut glass – Kevlar gloves will be a good protection. This para-aramid fiber is used to reinforce cables and composite materials, when creating body armor;
- Steel, chain mail gloves. They are used where you have to work a lot with sharp knives, equipment that is dangerous from the point of view of cuts;
Let us also recall the good old tarpaulin gloves, which are now not at all as popular as they used to be – after the automation of the production of construction gloves, they began to be produced much less frequently. In addition, it was inconvenient to work in such a rough defense..
Among the specialized construction gloves, there are insulated gloves designed to work in the cold, KShchS – acid-alkali-resistant, MBS – oil-petrol resistant, thin antistatic – for delicate work, including electronics repair.
When choosing construction gloves, of course, one should be guided not by beauty, but by convenience and safety. You should definitely pay attention to the presence of a tight cuff that fits the wrist, because the glove must hold tightly to the hand, not interfere with work. At the same time, leggings are produced with a bell so that they can be easily thrown off, remember this! It is advisable to choose gloves clearly in size so that they do not dangle and fit tightly around the hand.
Price also matters. The most inexpensive knitted gloves can be found for 10 rubles, but you cannot work with chemicals in them, they quickly get wet and wear out. You can find leggings made of split leather with ESAB lining for 400-670 rubles, knitted gloves with latex coating – for 50-90 rubles, chain mail glove can cost about 3.5 thousand rubles, and KShchS gloves made of neoprene – 150 rubles.