The hydraulic level is, in fact, an ordinary rather thin hose or tube, necessarily transparent. Commercial kits contain flasks with a measuring scale at the ends of the hose, but in general, craftsmen do without them, sometimes using ordinary medical syringes or plastic bottles. As you understand, such a device is quite inexpensive, it is not a problem to just buy a transparent hose and use it as a meter. And it’s very easy to make a hydro level with your own hands..
Yes, now many people prefer laser levels, because this is a much more modern instrument. But you won’t be able to use the laser level during the day and outdoors! The batteries in a modern device are empty – that’s it, work has stopped. And the water level does not need anything other than ordinary water. No electronics to fail. At the same time, the indicators are quite accurate..
The water level operates on the basis of the law on Pascal’s communicating vessels known to all schoolchildren. It states that in communicating vessels, the levels of the same, homogeneous liquid will be equal. Indeed, the water in the hydraulic level hose or tube flattens out and shows the horizon that can be used to create even horizontal lines..
Use the water level in the following cases:
- To mark the walls for mounting shelves.
- In the process of leveling the floor.
- Screed installation.
- To install a stretch ceiling.
- Pasting walls with wallpaper.
The design of the hydro level is so simple that everyone can learn to use it.
Important! There should be no air bubbles in the tube or hose with water! Otherwise, all measurements will be in error. So fill the hose with water very carefully, you can act as in the case of draining gasoline from the tank of a car. It is advisable to stretch the hose or tube before use.
Several secrets of using the hydro level:
- The hose inside must be clean, so you can first use a soapy solution for rinsing, and only then use ordinary water to measure.
- Water should be taken at room temperature, because too cold or warm liquid can cause an error.
- It is not necessary to climb up to mark the level under the ceiling. You can select a point perpendicular to the eyes and mark the level around the perimeter. Then a regular tape measure is used to select the distance to the ceiling..
- Water level marks should be placed on both sides of the corner.
- If the work is carried out in winter, outdoors or in an unheated room, then the water in the hose may freeze or simply give an error due to the low temperature. Some builders advise using pure alcohol, vodka or non-freeze in this case. However, it will often be enough to add salt, because you remember, again, from the school physics course, that salt water freezes worse at a lower temperature..
- When working with a water level on a putty in bright sunlight, transparent water can give glare, it is difficult to see the level. In this case, you can add a little coffee or tea, unsweetened to the hose as a dye. Then the hose will have to be rinsed.
As you can see, there are no special difficulties when working with the hydro level. The device is really simple, reliable, independent of external conditions and the availability of an energy source. Note that it is more convenient to use the water level together, so call an assistant for accurate measurements.