You can’t do without a spatula during the repair process, and usually several varieties of this tool are used. So that you do not get confused in a hardware store, choosing the right spatula, we will tell you what types are used for a particular repair process:
- Painting spatulas.The most common, well-known “spatulas” with plastic, rubber or wooden handles. They are made of stainless steel, the width of the metal part can vary from 20 to 450 mm. Note that it is better to purchase at least two painting spatulas – a wider and narrower one. On a large surface, you can “disperse” and apply the plaster with a wide spatula, for more delicate work you will need a narrow one. In addition, professional plasterers usually act like this – apply a solution to a larger spatula with a smaller one. Two spatulas in the process of work will be convenient to clean against each other.
Note that there are special spatulas for dismantling old wallpaper and paint layers. They have a thicker, stronger blade. But most often they are replaced with ordinary painting spatulas, which cope with old wallpaper just as well. So it is quite possible to save on the purchase of spatulas for dismantling..
- Facade spatulas.It is clear from the name that they are used for facades, on large surfaces. The blade must be elastic, the handle is strong, because a thick layer of putty is usually applied with such a wide spatula. The blade width can vary from 20 to 40 cm, it is convenient if the handle goes slightly at an angle to the working surface.
- Notched trowels. A special variety that is required wherever an adhesive mixture is required, for example, when laying ceramic tiles. The teeth on the working part of the spatula help to distribute the composition evenly and efficiently, save on the glue mixture, which is usually quite expensive. There are spatulas with small teeth, they are used when laying carpet, mosaic, linoleum. There are larger teeth – for tiles, porcelain stoneware, gluing drywall. By the way, such notched spatulas are not necessarily metal, there are also rubber.
- Wallpaper spatula. Perfectly replaces rollers and, of course, much more effective than various rags with which home craftsmen often level the wallpaper. Plastic wallpaper spatulas quickly expel air bubbles from under the wallpaper, level them out, pressing them tightly against the wall. Therefore, they are sometimes called presser.
- Rubber spatulas. They can be made of hard rubber – for the primary hammering of joints between tiles. Medium hard rubber spatulas are useful for applying a thin layer of putty to walls or primer on wood. The soft rubber trowel is intended for delicate processes such as finishing work with tile joints. Rubber spatulas come in different sizes, usually sold immediately in sets.
- There are special corner spatulas for finishing the inner and outer corners respectively. However, many professionals call them inconvenient to work with, too cumbersome and cumbersome. It will most likely fail to drive the corner perfectly. However, until you try, you will not understand – do you need such corner spatulas or you can do with ordinary painting.
- Japanese spatulas. They differ in that on one side of the tool there is a springy stainless steel sheet, and the other side is made of plastic. There are simply no handles in the usual sense for us. It is convenient to apply an even layer of putty with Japanese spatulas, they distribute the solution well over the surface.
- Separately, special spatulas should be highlighted, which are used in the process of mounting or dismantling stretch ceilings. A highly specialized tool that is usually used exclusively by professionals.
When choosing spatulas, pay attention to the quality of the steel – the blade should be elastic, but not bend too easily and too much. The handle should be comfortable for you, light enough, the blade fastening – reliable. In this regard, wooden handles are more durable, although they weigh more than plastic ones and are now much less common..
After finishing work, be sure to wash the spatula from the solution, the paint can be cleaned with a solvent. Such clean, properly stored in a dry place, quality spatulas will serve you during the next repair..