As soon as the owner of the house decides that it is time to hang up the shelf for flowers, which his wife is so persistently reminded of for the second month, it turns out that the necessary tools have disappeared somewhere. The situation is familiar, because usually hand tools, all these keys, hammers, screwdrivers, are kept out of sight. We use tools, of course, not every day, but the storage system must be organized correctly so that later on in a hurry we do not need to look for, for example, a key for 12.
Let’s immediately decide what we’re going to talk about a workshop that can be set up in a garage, a free-standing barn, a summer kitchen, on a fairly spacious loggia or balcony. There are usually not many tools in an apartment, and existing screwdrivers, a hammer and pliers can be folded into a specially dedicated box or bag that can take place on the mezzanine or in the hallway.
If there are noticeably more hand tools, they need their own separate corner in which you have to put things in order. The main condition is that the storage place of tools must be dry, because metal parts do not like moisture.
A well-designed storage system has many advantages. You will always know exactly what and where lies, you will not have to look for anything. If the tools are always in place, you will remember in time that a month ago you gave your neighbor a nail puller, which he needed literally for an hour. Plus, correctly positioned tools take up less workshop space, freeing up space for work..
First of all, you should decide whether you will buy ready-made shelves for tools, a metal mobile cabinet with drawers, or equip a workshop with your own hands “from scratch”. Immediately, we note that ready-made storage systems for hand tools are not always 100% suitable, often they have to be redone for themselves.
Consider a few ideas for self-organizing storage of hand tools in the workshop.
1. First of all, it is worth taking care of the little things: nails, screws, bolts, which tend to get lost and crumble throughout the room. For their storage, you can adapt ordinary plastic bottles with cut necks – you will immediately see what is where. Small plastic boxes are also suitable, which are better to sign, noting that, for example, there are nails of this size. It is convenient to place such containers for storing small items on a shelf above the work table so as not to clutter it. But glass jars should not be used in the workshop. There are too many heavy metal objects that can accidentally touch such a fragile container..
2. Magnet. Real craftsmen usually have a large magnet on their workbench, to which small metal tools successfully cling. Now there are special magnetic surfaces, holders, on which you can conveniently and simply store many tools and parts..
3. Plywood board – the choice of old school craftsmen. From pieces of bars on such a shield, you can create a whole storage system that will not take up much space and will allow you to place almost all hand tools. The cost of such storage places is minimal, and everything will be done according to the needs of the master.
4. You can also buy ready-made sheet metal with holes for tool holders. However, you can do this yourself. On ordinary nails or self-tapping screws, saws, keys, and other tools, in the handles of which there are special holes, are hung in the right order.
5. It is convenient to provide a separate storage for screwdrivers, for example, an ordinary school holder for pencils and pens.
6. Plastic boxes with compartments, which are usually used for forks and spoons in the kitchen, can also be adapted for small hand tools..
7. If you don’t really want to build panels and make shelves, you can move an old sideboard or sideboard to a garage workshop. It has tons of shelves and drawers that can hold many tools. The main thing is to decompose everything yourself in order to know exactly where the gardening tools are stored, and where the joiner’s.
8. For drills and bits of a certain size, it is better to buy a ready-made lodgment – an insert with tools. Or drill holes in a wooden beam where the drills will fit. And sign – 3, 4.5, 9 and so on, so that you immediately know the required size of the cutting tool.
9. When arranging storage areas in the workshop, care should be taken to ensure safety, especially if small children may enter. In this case, it is better to hang piercing and cutting tools on the wall higher, and chemical liquids should be securely closed in a cabinet with lockable doors..
10. For garden hand tools, a freestanding rack with holders for long handles of shovels and hoes is perfect. Of course, you can just lean them against the wall, but remember the proverb about the same rake?
Let us state that it is not so difficult to organize a workshop, there are many simple ideas. Just tune in to the fact that once you have to tinker a little longer in the garage, make an effort, but then there will always be a strict order in your workshop and there will definitely not be any problems with finding a screwdriver with a “cross”.