The content of the article
- Carpaccio – what is it
- How to make carpaccio
- Carpaccio recipe
- Carpaccio – a classic recipe
- Veal Carpaccio
- How to cook beef carpaccio – recommendations from the chefs
Often, the soul of a gourmet requires any gastronomic innovations. Carpaccio is great for treating yourself to something unusual: it seems to be the same beef, but cooked in a special way. To be more precise, this appetizer does not require heat treatment.
Carpaccio – what is it
Raw beef dishes owe their distribution to the occasion. In 1950, in one of the Venetian bars, a certain countess said to the owner that, with all her love for meat dishes, she received a ban on them from the doctor. The woman complained of low hemoglobin in the blood, and the doctor recommended eating only beef that was not thermally processed.
However, such a whim was not possible to fulfill. Then the owner, inspired by the works of Vittore Carpaccio, executed in red and white tones and exhibited at that time in the bar, created a new dish. It met all the requirements expressed by the Countess’s doctor and, besides, it turned out to be very tasty and beautiful. It is named after the artist-inspirer. Until now, carpaccio looks very appetizing in culinary photos, causing a desire to try it soon.
Carpaccio is thin slices of raw beef seasoned with sauce and spices. Each piece should be almost transparent. To achieve this, the beef tenderloin is placed in the freezer, after which it must be cut with a sharp kitchen knife. Partly carpaccio resembles Russian stroganina, but the obligatory marinade sauce makes a significant difference.
How to make carpaccio
This appetizer is prepared in two stages. The first is the preparation of the meat itself, the second is the marinade sauce. Submission also plays an important role. Pieces of beef, laid in a thin layer, are decorated with parsley, lettuce or other herbs. If you are wondering how to cook carpaccio at home, then it will be more convenient for you to step by step follow the recommendations:
- Place the beef in the freezer, after wrapping it with cling film. Leave overnight, letting it completely freeze. Next, take out the cold meat and chop as thin as possible.
- The classic carpaccio marinade sauce should consist of lemon juice, olive oil, mustard and balsamic vinegar. However, culinary experts around the world are experimenting with sauces, making them more savory with salt and pepper or, conversely, sweet with honey.
Classic cooking options undergo changes over time. Before you cook carpaccio, you need to determine what type of dish you need. It is prepared from almost all types of meat and even from fish. One thing remains unchanged – each slice should be thin and necessarily saturated with marinade.
Although the carpaccio recipe was invented to save the countess, who could not eat meat dishes, now everything has turned the other way around. Most people living in cities and not having their own subsistence farming cannot be sure of the freshness and quality of the meat they buy. Especially for this, recipes were invented that allow lightly fry the meat, as well as options with smoked ingredient. Don’t be afraid to experiment with new products: try chicken or salmon..
Carpaccio – a classic recipe
- Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Servings Per Container: 5 Persons.
- Calorie content: 130 kcal / 100 g.
- Destination: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian.
- Difficulty: easy.
A variant invented hastily in the Italian bar in its original form is practically not found now. It featured a special marinade containing Worcester sauce. The classic carpaccio recipe involves a combination of thin slices of raw meat, light sauce, arugula and parmesan.
- beef fillet – 600 g;
- olive oil – 150 ml;
- Parmesan cheese – 50 g;
- arugula – 100 g;
- lemon – 1 pc.;
- Rinse beef thoroughly, then remove excess fat if necessary.
- Put the carpaccio meat on a towel and let the tenderloin dry.
- Wrap tightly with foil. Clean inside the freezer for 1 hour.
- While the meat is frozen, take a bowl, pour olive oil and squeeze the juice from the lemon. Salt and add pepper to the dressing, mix everything well.
- Get the beef, let it lie for 5 minutes. With a sharp knife or a special device, you need to cut a piece into many thin slices.
- Put the slices in a single layer under the cling film and roll out with a rolling pin for even more refinement. Transfer to a plate pre-oiled with butter.
- Spread each slice with marinade sauce. Soak the arugula with them.
- Cheese can not be rubbed, but cut into thin plates. Gently lay the parmesan with arugula in the center of the dish. Serve immediately, so prepare your serving in advance.
- Cooking time: 50 minutes.
- Servings Per Container: 4 Persons.
- Calorie content: 125 kcal / 100 g.
- Destination: Dinner.
- Cuisine: Italian.
- Difficulty: low.
The principle of preparation of classic carpaccio with beef does not differ from variations with another type of meat. These are all the same translucent slices soaked in marinade. Veal carpaccio may seem more delicate to gourmets because of the milk feeding of young animals. Visually, such meat pieces will also look different: the veins in them are white, in the beef meat yellow.
- veal – 400 g;
- arugula leaves – 30 g;
- Parmesan – 20 g;
- soy sauce – 8 ml;
- lime juice – 1 tbsp. l .;
- olive oil – 1 tbsp. l .;
- a mixture of red and black peppers – 1 tbsp. l.
- Choose a veal tenderloin or pulp for the dish. Wrap it very tightly with cling film.
- The meat should freeze, but if you can’t wait, put it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut thin pieces from the frozen piece and place on the film. Cover the slices on top with another layer of film, walk on them with a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the plate with a mixture of peppers, add a little oil.
- Put the prepared meat on a plate.
- Season veal with pepper, butter, lime juice and soy sauce.
- Garnish with grated cheese and arugula leaves.
How to cook beef carpaccio – recommendations from the chefs
Every dish has its own secrets, the understanding of which comes with experience. Preparing beef carpaccio is not difficult, if you remember the most important tips of professionals:
- Light marinade should not be overloaded with different components, so as not to drown out the taste of meat.
- To make flavored olive oil for carpaccio, you can add a little rosemary, thyme and basil to the bottle.
- Arugula is not the only suitable greens. You can use any green salad leaves.
- Cherry tomatoes will complement the dish well. As an additional component, you can choose your favorite vegetables.
- If there is not enough effect from the rolling pin, slightly beat off the thin slices of the cut with the smooth side of the kitchen hammer.