The content of the article
- What is broccoli?
- Broccoli – composition
- Broccoli – Calories
- Nutritional Information Broccoli
- Is it possible to eat raw broccoli
- Broccoli – useful properties
- The benefits of broccoli for women
- The benefits of broccoli for children
- What is broccoli good for men?
- Gastritis broccoli
- Broccoli during pregnancy
- Weight loss broccoli
- Broccoli – contraindications
The green plant, called broccoli, is famous for its beneficial properties. Today, cabbage can be found on the shelves of most stores. However, many housewives are in no hurry to use the product when cooking. You can evaluate all the qualities of a famous vegetable by sorting out its benefits and harm to health, methods of use.
What is broccoli?
Many have often seen in stores this beautiful green plant resembling a lush floral bouquet. This vegetable is broccoli cabbage. It can be grown in almost any locality, but the climate is considered the best in Spain, Italy, France. In these countries, the plant is often used in cooking due to its beneficial properties. You can eat this type of cauliflower fried, boiled, stewed, add to salads. For cooking, inflorescences with a delicate part of the stem are used, sometimes sprouts.
Broccoli – composition
To learn more about the topic: broccoli – the benefits and harms, you need to learn about the substances that are contained in the plant. It has a large number of various trace elements, vitamins, macrocells. The chemical composition of broccoli is represented by:
- beta-carotene (vitamin A);
- vitamin U;
- vitamin PP;
- B vitamins;
- Vitamin C
- biologically active substances;
- folic acid;
- vitamin K;
- Vitamin E
Broccoli – Calories
The energy value indicator is very important for dieters and weight watchers. Depending on the processing method, scientists determined the calorie content of broccoli, in 100 grams of which contains:
- raw (raw) vegetable – 35 kcal;
- boiled – 28 kcal;
- steamed – 27 kcal;
- frozen – 23 kcal;
- stewed – 37 kcal;
- fried – 46 kcal.
Nutritional Information Broccoli
Another important characteristic is the nutritional value of broccoli. Using these values, a person can find out how much he will receive substances important for the body by eating 100 g of cabbage. These elements are accumulators of energy, which helps to regulate our vital functions. The plant contains:
- proteins – 2.8 g (3.41% of the required norm per day);
- fats – 0.4 g (0.62%);
- carbohydrates – 6.6 g (5.16%);
- dietary fiber – 2.6 g (13%);
- water – 89.3 g (3.49% of the daily intake).
Is it possible to eat raw broccoli
Consumers are used to the fact that fresh, unprocessed vegetables are better absorbed by the human body than boiled, fried or stewed ones. However, on the question of whether it is possible to eat broccoli in its raw form, there is no consensus. Some experts argue that during heat treatment the plant loses more than half of its beneficial properties, while others believe that properly processed or blanched cabbage is more beneficial.
There are a huge number of recipes, among the ingredients of which are indicated fresh green cabbage. In Europe and America, broccoli is often consumed uncooked, made from it salad. Those who want to lose weight and monitor calories are advised to blanch the cabbage. To do this, simply place the heads in a container of boiling water for a few seconds. Season the vegetable with olive oil, add your favorite spices and serve. Green cabbage is especially useful for pregnant and young children – it is perfectly absorbed and contains many vitamins..
Broccoli – useful properties
The invaluable benefits of broccoli for the body are its properties:
- contains antioxidants of natural origin;
- strengthens the immune system;
- regulates blood sugar;
- improves the condition of the lens and retina;
- contains elements beneficial to the liver;
- strengthens the heart and blood vessels;
- improves blood composition.
The benefits of broccoli for women
Many representatives of the fair sex are skeptical of this vegetable, considering it tasteless, fresh. The benefits of broccoli for women include the following factors:
- A positive effect on the skin condition. By consuming broccoli daily, you prolong youth. It is useful to use a medicinal plant for masks, because it has many vitamins.
- Vitamin oil from a vegetable is used for hair and for nails, helping to strengthen their structure, eliminate brittleness.
- Use in diet food. The product contains a large amount of protein, which positively affects weight loss. Green cabbage – an indispensable product for diet, vegetarian and lean dishes.
- The fight against cellulite. The beneficial properties of broccoli contribute to the production of bile. It helps regulate fat levels, thereby helping to eliminate skin defects associated with cellulite..
- Disposal of carcinogens, toxins and toxins. These harmful substances can provoke the development of tumors of the uterus, breast and ovaries. Inflorescences contain antioxidants that can fight this problem..
- Nutrient Rich Hair & Nail Treatment.
- Indole content maintains hormonal balance.
The benefits of broccoli for children
This type of cauliflower is one of the ten most useful foods. The plant is often used in the nutrition of children. As part of a baby’s diet, broccoli can benefit:
- Helps fight constipation, establish normal stool due to the presence of a large amount of fiber. Useful microelements contribute to the elimination of harmful substances from the body, normalization of the gastrointestinal tract.
- The benefits of broccoli for infants are based on the hypoallergenicity of the product. You can feed your baby puree or vegetable juices from a very young age, without fear of harm.
- Vitamins in broccoli increase the immunity of the child. The functioning of the nervous system improves, since cabbage is famous for the presence of a large number of useful micro and macro elements.
- The content of sulforaphane and diindolylmethane prevents the occurrence of respiratory infections.
- If the child is overweight, you need to enter broccoli in the diet – it contains fiber and protein, quickly saturates the body, having a minimum of calories.
- Cabbage has an antiparasitic effect.
What is broccoli good for men?
Representatives of the stronger sex prefer to use proteins of only animal origin, so vegetables are often abandoned. However, the benefits of broccoli for men are invaluable. The plant is an excellent tool for preventing the development of cancer cells and inflammatory processes in the prostate gland. Broccoli is actively struggling with problems of the cardiovascular system, helps to remove excess cholesterol in the blood, which can appear when eating fatty foods.
The composition of green cabbage is not much different from its relative – white cabbage, but contains more carotene. The element has a positive effect on the mucous membranes. The principle of its action is based on the blocking of heavy metal ions that affect the gastric and intestinal walls. The use of broccoli for gastritis will help restore tissue, heal ulcers and wounds, and remove dead cells. Experts recommend choosing a cook or stew, steaming to preserve all the useful properties of the vegetable.
Broccoli during pregnancy
The period of bearing a child for a woman is associated with the need to increase immunity. The content of folic acid prevents the development of fetal pathologies, promotes cell renewal. Broccoli for pregnant women allows you to not take additional medications to replenish the reserves of selenium, retinol and calcium – the vegetable contains them in excess. Cabbage also benefits when planning a child, preparing the woman’s body for future pregnancy.
Weight loss broccoli
The use of broccoli for weight loss helps to saturate the body and helps to lose weight. At the same time, a person receives all the substances necessary for normal life. Among those who are studying weight loss, want to weigh less, a broccoli-based diet is popular. This vegetable is one of the most low-calorie, contains a large amount of fiber and helps reduce appetite. And the hormone serotonin improves mood and general condition of the body, fights depression.
Broccoli – contraindications
Like any food, this type of cabbage can be harmful. There are contraindications for broccoli:
- pancreatic ailments having an acute or chronic form;
- increased acidity;
- individual intolerance.
If you have at least one of these contraindications, you can simply replace the variety of cabbage or cauliflower.