The content of the article
- How to choose and prepare berries for preservation
- How to make cherry jam at home
- The classic recipe for pitted jam for the winter
- How to make jam with gelatin
- How to cook without sugar
- Recipe for cherry and blackcurrant in a slow cooker
- How to cook jam from grated felt cherry
Jams, jams and preserves from berries are an excellent dessert or an addition to cereals and pastries. A factory product cannot always boast of a natural composition and an optimal ratio of sugar to berries, so it is best to make the sweetness on your own. How to make jam at home?
How to choose and prepare berries for preservation
How your jam turns out depends on the main product – cherries. Polish housewives, who own the creation of the first recipe for such a preparation, made a dish of very soft plums. Cherry preservation is carried out according to the same old rules:
- The fruits should be as ripe as possible. The integrity of the berries does not play a role: you can take even spoiled spoiled worms. The softer they are, the more homogeneous the final product will be..
- The peculiarity of the jam is the absence of large pieces of berries, so after removing all the excess (seeds, rotting places, etc.), they need to be scrolled in a meat grinder.
- Any recipes from cherries for the winter require blanching berries before adding syrup to them.
How to make cherry jam at home
This product, invented in Poland, differs from other desserts of this type by the consistency and amount of sugar that is added to it. The essence of the jam is fresh mashed potatoes, which were very boiled. If you add gelatin to it, you get jam that can be frozen and turned into a dense marmalade. The jam is between the jam and jam in density, ideal for filling pancakes, pies, waffles, because it does not leak, but slightly spreads over the surface. There are several tricks to making a delicious cherry jam.
- If you want the workpiece to be very thick, but you cannot (or do not want) to add gelatin, take some apricots, currants or pectin-rich apples.
- If you want to feel pieces of berries, scroll them not in a meat grinder, but in a blender or manually knead with a fork.
- If you don’t want very sweet jam from cherries (taking into account that the berries themselves are sour), do not add sugar, but then the jars must undergo sterilization.
- If you introduced sugar into the working mass, its share should be 60% or more, so that the product does not become moldy during storage.
- If you want to be sure that the jam will definitely last the whole winter, be sure to send the filled cans to a hot (70-80 degrees) oven until a thin film appears on the surface.
The classic recipe for pitted jam for the winter
A dish prepared using this technology will not taste too sweet, because the recipe contains citric acid, a very delicate cherry flavor and a dark color with ruby highlights. To create a 3 liter cherry blank you will need:
- fresh berries – 4.5 kg;
- sugar – 2.7 kg;
- citric acid – 4 g;
- water – 1 l.
- Rinse and sort out berries, remove damaged areas.
- Bones are conveniently removed using a special device. If there is no such tool, you can squeeze them with your index finger, entering it clearly at the point where the stem was.
- Scroll the berries in a meat grinder until the mass has the consistency you need.
- Pour cherries in a saucepan with water, add sugar. The first part of the cooking takes place over medium heat and lasts 2 hours.
- After you need to introduce citric acid into the pan, continuing cooking. At the moment when the spoon begins to leave a noticeable track with stirring, make a strong fire for 5 minutes.
- Fill cans with hot mass, roll up.
How to make jam with gelatin
If you are considering what to make from cherries for the winter to get an independent dessert, try a very thick jam, which can be turned into jelly in a matter of hours. To this end, the composition will include apricots, white currants and a little gelatin, forming a dense product. Instead of the latter, you can buy pectin or gelfix. Sugar in the recipe is very small, so the ready-made dessert will appeal to losing weight sweet tooth.
On a small jar you will need:
- pitted cherry – 1.5 kg;
- white currant – 400 g;
- fresh pitted apricots – 500 g;
- sugar – 1 kg;
- water – 500 ml + 100 ml for gelatin;
- gelatin – 1 tbsp. l.
- Scroll cherries, apricots and currants in a blender.
- Boil water, add sugar. Boil syrup for a quarter of an hour over low heat.
- Pour gelatin with cold water (100 ml), allow to swell.
- Gently add the gelatin mass into the cooled syrup with spoons. There to lay the berry mass.
- Cook jam for about an hour until it becomes thick.
- Pack up on banks.
How to cook without sugar
The preservative elements of such a product will be cloves and cinnamon, which will add a delicious aroma and spicy taste to cherry jam. Remember that the lack of sugar requires mandatory sterilization of the cans and subsequent baking of the finished mass in the oven, otherwise it will be possible to store the jam for only a few weeks. Fans of sharp notes in desserts can add fresh ginger root to the recipe. The recipe is ideal for those who care about the figure..
The required amount of ingredients per 5 liters of jam:
- cherry – 8 kg;
- water – 1 l;
- ground cinnamon – 1.5 tsp;
- cloves – 2-3 pcs.;
- yellow apples – 4 pcs..
- Take 2 metal pans of different volumes. Fill the larger one with water (about 1.5 l), the smaller one with peeled and twisted berries: take only half of the total volume.
- Pour the berries with water, cook in the water bath for an hour.
- After this time, add half of the remaining cherries to the pan, continue cooking.
- With the last portion of berries (after half an hour) pour cinnamon and cloves, put chopped apple slices.
- Boil the mass until it becomes difficult to stir.
- Sterilize banks, fill with jam. Move the oven to a lower level to 80 degrees.
- As soon as a thin film appears, turn off the oven, open the door. Allow banks to cool..
- Tighten the lids, remove the jam.
Recipe for cherry and blackcurrant in a slow cooker
If you think that jam can only be cooked on the stove or in the oven, you are seriously mistaken, because doing this in a slow cooker is no more difficult. The method is interesting due to the lack of long-term monitoring of the pan and the maximum “reset” on the technique. Do not be afraid of failure: this recipe from cherry does not require a photo – thoughtful study of a short step-by-step instruction is enough for an ideal result.
- cherry pulp – 1.8 kg;
- currant berries – 1 kg;
- sugar – 1.5 kg.
- Grind currants with cherries with a blender, move to a slow cooker.
- Wait until the berry mass begins to boil (the “Multipovar” mode is perfect), periodically removing the foam.
- Adjust the temperature to 60 degrees, changing the mode to “languishing”.
- After an hour add sugar, mix, cook for another half hour.
- Pack up on the banks, roll up the lids.
How to cook jam from grated felt cherry
A feature of this recipe is the lack of water, which is replaced by apple juice. An alternative can be apricot, currant, but always fresh, not in store (packaged). To eliminate excess sweetness, the composition of the jam got vinegar. On a two-liter jar, it is recommended to take:
- cherry pulp – 2 kg;
- apple juice – 1 liter;
- sugar – 1.2 kg;
- apple vinegar – 1 tbsp. l.
- Mix the pulp with vinegar, pour the juice. Cook for at least an hour until thick..
- Add sugar, continue cooking until the jam reaches a firm consistency.
- Pour the hot mass into the cans, roll up immediately.