The content of the article
- Oil fish – what kind of fish
- Types of Oil Fish
- The benefits and harms of oily fish
- How to cook butterfish
- Cooking recipes for oily fish
- Cold smoked butterfish
- Oily fish in the oven
- Escolar – cooking secrets
There are many varieties of fish that are suitable for human consumption. All of them are united in common species and subspecies according to their origin. Oilfish is a special delicacy. One name includes completely different varieties of seafood, which bear the same name solely due to the similarity of taste.
Oil fish – what kind of fish
When you buy a product with the same name on the market, you can purchase completely different products. So, oily fish is a trademark that unites three families and four genera. All of them are warm-water marine inhabitants found in the ocean near the American, Australian, New Zealand shores. The average weight is about 4 kg, the length is from 35 to 70 cm. Average calorie content: 113 kcal per 100 grams of product.
These types of marine life contain the daily norm of many trace elements. All species combined into one trading group are similar in appearance and in their lifestyle. The similarities end there. Fishing is not carried out separately: oily fish are caught in the net by accident when fishing for other species. Since some varieties are rare, they are considered delicious..
Types of Oil Fish
To know exactly what kind of purchase you are making, you need to understand the types of oily fish. There are several of the most popular: this is the saurin fish (the second name is varecho fish). It belongs to mackerel, a group of perciform, lives in tropical and subtropical waters. Carcass weight reaches 20 kg. Another species that is considered rare is the escolar fish. It resembles tuna, with which it is caught. Large individuals differ in length up to 2 meters, weighing up to 50 kg. Another species is the serioella fish, the fattest of all representatives of this group and the smallest (weight – about 3 kg).
The benefits and harms of oily fish
For the human body to function normally, it requires a variety of trace elements, many of which contain marine life. When it comes to the benefits and harms of oily fish, it can be noted that it has a much more positive effect on the body than a negative one. Since different products belong to this brand, their properties are different. In general, they contain omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins A, D, E, F, numerous trace elements (manganese, iodine, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium), a large amount of protein.
Useful substances with regular intake into the body positively affect the general condition: they cause a decrease in blood pressure, improve metabolism, help fight cardiovascular diseases, positively affect the skin, nails, hair. The main concern that many people have is the risk of diarrhea, stomach cramps, and nausea due to the fact that excess fat cannot be absorbed, or a weak stomach does not accept it. Practice shows that such consequences are rare if there are no separate contraindications to use.
How to cook butterfish
Despite the unusual origin of this product group, cooking butterfish is not difficult. No need to shade because of overseas origin. For a delicious dinner, you just need to choose the method that you like best: fry, bake on the grill or in the oven, cook on the ear. You can serve with various side dishes, such as rice, mushrooms, vegetables, and use all possible spices and marinades.
Cooking recipes for oily fish
Most culinary experts advise using those recipes for cooking oily fish that involve frying. During this process, the product gets rid of large amounts of fat. To balance the taste even more, it is recommended to use as many vegetables as possible with it. Cold and hot smoked recipes are considered the most expressive, in which the taste of a dish grows significantly.
Cold smoked butterfish
- Cooking time: 2 days.
- Servings Per Container: 6 Persons.
- Calorie content: 131 kcal per 100 g.
- Purpose: appetizer.
- Cuisine: European.
- The complexity of the preparation: difficult.
If you want to make a delicious beer snack yourself, cold smoked butterfish is perfect for this. Thanks to smoke treatment, it acquires unique taste, amazing smell and beautiful golden color. However, caution should be exercised. Avoid eating a lot of fatty smoked meat, otherwise diarrhea can be triggered..
- fish – 600 g;
- water – 650 ml;
- salt – 4.3 tbsp. l .;
- sugar – 4.3 tbsp. l.
- Make a brine of water, salt and sugar and put fish in it. It is necessary to salt for 1 day at room temperature.
- Next, you need to cook a smokehouse. To do this, you need a saucepan, the bottom of which will be covered with foil. You need to put sawdust on top and cover it again with foil. Place the wire rack in the pan and place the fish on it. Cover and smoke for 15 minutes at maximum heat. No need to flip.
- When everything is ready, leave the product for another day so that it disappears.
Oily fish in the oven
- Cooking time: 40 minutes.
- Servings Per Container: 5 Persons.
- Calorie dishes: 130 kcal.
- Purpose: for lunch, dinner.
- Cuisine: European.
- Difficulty: easy.
When you want to pamper your family or surprise guests with an exquisite recipe, butterfish in the oven is perfect for this. The recipe for cooking is very simple, but no less delicious, because this product itself is a treat worthy of a rich table. All products for him can easily be found in your refrigerator, and you can choose a side dish to your taste. No matter what you cook, it is recommended to leave the scales, so it tastes better.
- fish fillet – 800 g;
- vegetable or olive oil – 1 tbsp. l .;
- lemon juice – 1 tbsp. l .;
- chopped rosemary – 2 tbsp. l .;
- basil – 1 tbsp. l;
- garlic – 2 cloves;
- green onions – 1 bunch;
- tomato – 3 pcs;
- salt to taste;
- pepper – 1 tsp.
- Mix rosemary, basil, garlic, lemon juice. Add a tablespoon of oil.
- Rinse the fillet under running water, dry, then salt and pepper.
- Dip in the cooked sauce and let it soak..
- Cut tomatoes into flat slices.
- Wrap each piece in foil, putting on each tomato slices. After they must be spread on a baking sheet and placed in a preheated oven to 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- You can check the readiness of the dish by cutting the foil a little.
- When serving, finely chop the parsley with green onions and add to the dish.
Escolar – cooking secrets
If you have the opportunity to choose a delicious mackerel, stop at the escolar. It is prepared in many ways, each of which guarantees a delicious and satisfying dinner. The secrets of escolar cooking are the use of various spices, herbs and sauces, thanks to which the same product turns out to be different in taste, but always very tender and mouth-watering. Escolar is most suitable for smoking, as it has dense white meat. Nuances:
- An interesting gourmet dish will turn out if you use soy sauce for marinade.
- A mixture of any spices will give it a special aroma. However, it is important not to spare time for the product to be well marinated. Allow at least half an hour to an hour..
- To make the taste of the dish more saturated, you can fill the product with herbs during pickling, put the mixture inside.
- Another important point: when frying, you do not have to zealous with oil. This type of fish is already fatty, so you need to lubricate the pan with oil just a little bit, as for making pancakes.