The content of the article
- How to preserve green peas at home
- The classic recipe for canning green peas at home
- Preservation of peas at home without sterilization
- How to close green peas at home without vinegar
- How to roll green peas at home
- Pickled peas for winter
- Homemade Canned Peas
When the holidays are approaching and the hostess is faced with the question of creating a menu, canned green peas used for salads, meat and fish appear in the list of necessary products. However, it is very difficult to choose a tasty product that does not spoil the recipe, so professionals advise doing it yourself in the summer.
How to preserve green peas at home
The preform may be a product filled with brine or marinade. The latter option is perfect for salads, poultry, meat dishes. Salted grains cook faster, show their worth in soups, are better tolerated by the stomach, so even children can be fed with them. General rules of work:
It is recommended to conserve green peas at home through small cans: half a liter or a little more.
- Select the volume of the cooking vessel so that the liquid completely covers the grains.
- For canning, take only pods with young ones, the so-called. “Milk” grains. If you use hard, too ripe, then an increased proportion of starch in the heat treatment process will give a cloudy precipitate and make the taste of the product coarse. But they are well suited for mashed potatoes.
- After you have selected suitable canning pods, they need to be husked and the grains should be examined: discarded damaged and spoiled, leaving only the most beautiful, smooth, delicate green.
- If any of the grains burst during cooking or sterilization, they are caught and removed to avoid turbidity of the liquid..
- The easiest way to track readiness is to catch a couple of peas with a spoon and see if they have managed to wrinkle. If the answer is yes, it’s time to distribute the product in banks.
- If you decide to postpone the preservation, the peas will need to be blanched and frozen until this point.
- You can try the finished product only on the 3rd day after rolling the lids, otherwise the grains will not have time to completely soak in the marinade.
The classic recipe for canning green peas at home
The traditional preparation of such a product is carried out using vinegar: it can be either 9%, which is considered the most correct, or less concentrated – 6%. Some housewives take a mild apple, if they do not want too pronounced sour taste or 70%, but in very small quantities. It is customary to take 1 kg of peas per liter of marinade, and the proportion of salt and sugar is determined by eye.
water – 2 l;
- vinegar 9% – 50 ml;
- sugar and salt – 70 g each;
- peas (grains) – 2 kg.
Preservation of green peas at home is as follows:
Pour grain into boiling water (any water volume), cook until soft, but not more than half an hour.
- Take a separate pan under the marinade, mixing a liter of water and sugar with salt. Boil, pour vinegar.
- Catch peas with a slotted spoon, sprinkle over banks, pour with marinade.
- Warm the container with the workpiece in a water bath for half an hour, roll up the lids.
- Cool under the covers.
Preservation of peas at home without sterilization
The product prepared according to this recipe is almost identical to what can be found on the shelves of grocery stores: a delicate fresh taste, a transparent slightly sweet marinade, and muffled green grains. Such canned peas at home will become a favorite product in your family if you follow all the steps of the recipe correctly. The volume of the main product here can be any in the range of 1.5-1.7 kg. For a liter of marinade, which is enough for 1.5 liters of billet, you will need:
salt and sugar – 3 tsp;
- citric acid – 1 tsp;
- water – 1 l.
Preservation occurs as follows:
Hull peas, rinse grains, sprinkle on a wire rack or colander.
- Boil water, add sugar and salt. Immediately after that, green peas are transferred there..
- When the water boils a second time, you need to wait a quarter of an hour and pour citric acid.
- Banking takes place in 2 stages: first divide the peas into equal parts with a slotted spoon, then pour the marinade that continues to boil.
- If you are worried about the safety of the product, you should add half a spoonful of vinegar of the minimum concentration for each can.
- Lids must be rolled up or, if plastic is used, pre-poured with boiling water.
How to close green peas at home without vinegar
The preservation option has already been proposed, where the leading role is given to citric acid and sterilization is excluded. However, there are several more ideas on how to preserve peas at home, without using vinegar. For example, with a composition that is absolutely mild in taste and acidity: you need to marinate with a sugar-salt mixture, so the product is suitable even for people with mucosal problems, gastrointestinal diseases. Green canned grains are ideal for soups and side dishes..
For marinade taken:
sugar – 1.5 tbsp. l .;
- peppercorns – 4 pcs.;
- salt – 1 tsp;
- water – liter.
Conservation at home is as follows:
Boil water and pour sugar into it. Add salt, immediately pour boiled green grains into the boiling water (volume per eye, therefore not indicated in the recipe).
- After a few minutes, peas are taken out with a slotted spoon, distributed over hot dry jars, pepper is added.
- Pour the marinade, keeping the empty height to the throat about 2-3 cm.
- Put open filled cans at the bottom of the pot with boiling water, carry out the final stage of canning, which lasts half an hour.
- Cover each jar with nylon or folded gauze, leave to cool.
- After a day, repeat the sterilization, reducing to 20 minutes, and only then roll up the covers.
After reading the culinary videos from professionals below, you will understand how to properly and quickly clean green pods, how to calculate up to grams the amount of sugar, salt and other seasonings for marinade and / or brine, which utensils to use. You won’t have any more questions about how to preserve green peas at home so that it remains as healthy and tasty as fresh..