The content of the article
- What is bone china
- What is the difference between bone china and ordinary
- How to store
- The main manufacturers of bone china
- The choice
- Where can I buy
Many people at home have a cup or figurine made of bone china, but few know what it is and where to buy it. This kind of material is distinguished by thinness, translucency and sophistication. It was designed by the craftsman of ceramics by the Englishman Josiah Spoud. Dishes made from this material are often labeled Bone chine or Fine bone china. According to its characteristics, it occupies an average value between soft and hard material..
What is bone china
By this type of porcelain is meant a special kind of solid material with the addition of burnt bone. It is very durable, but at the same time white and transparent. High strength indicators are achieved by melting the main ingredients in the firing process. It was created in an attempt to recreate the formula for making the famous Chinese porcelain. At the end of the 18th century, bone ash was added to the composition of the material, and in the process of technology development, a basic formula was developed.
The dishes, which are made from such a material, do not have the effect of an egg shell, which is achieved due to the fact that the voids between the particles of white clay are filled with bone ash. So, bone china is one of the most popular materials, which, thanks to its whiteness and transparency, has won a leading position in global sales. Services from it can have a pleasant cream shade..
Before ordering Chinese bone china, pay attention to the composition. The basic formula for the manufacture of this type of material involves 25% kaolin (special white clay) and feldspar mixed with quartz, 50% of the burned bones of animals. The first firing is performed at a temperature of 1200-1300 ° C, and the second – 1050-1100 ° C. In this case, bone ash contains about 85% calcium phosphate.
The bones that are used as part of the porcelain mass must undergo special treatment, as a result of which they begin to burn out – this is necessary to remove glue from them and heat them up to a temperature of 1000 ° C. Organic matter burns down, and the structure of the bones changes to the necessary state. From the resulting mass using forms from gypsum, objects are obtained on the surface of which, after firing, a variety of drawings are applied.
If necessary, the products are coated with a layer of glaze and again sent to the oven. Flowers and artistic patterns and lines are applied to the product using decal – a thin film. Still apply painting. In general, the thickness of the finished plates, cups and other kitchen utensils is less than the usual porcelain base. Modern technologies provide for the replacement of biological calcium phosphate with mineral. The quality of the dishes does not change.
If you need bone china, it is better to buy it in a specialized online store. Some deliver by mail. Branded items have a number of advantages, due to which they are gaining popularity among consumers. The material has a softer color and a special whiteness, which is not the case with similar materials. Qualities are achieved by adding crushed and processed bones to the composition. Many people prefer this type of porcelain for it:
What is the difference between bone china and ordinary
This type of porcelain differs from analogues in that a unique component is added to the composition – ground and processed animal bones. Due to the ingredient, the finished product becomes softer, and its walls are thinner. In the light, the material begins to shine through a little, which gives the sets airiness and originality, an aristocratic look. Despite all the elegance, fine porcelain is characterized by good mechanical strength, making it durable.
How to store
On sale in Moscow, St. Petersburg, you can find a rich assortment of bone-type porcelain products – these are tea, dinner sets, decorative vases with different decor, figurines, figurines and more. All of them have an attractive and original look, different shades and can last for many years due to the unique properties of the mixture. Before ordering products, check out our tips for caring for them:
- do not put products on top of each other – plates, cups, saucers, but if such a need arises, be sure to shift each of them with napkins;
- arrange kitchen utensils so that they do not touch each other – there must be a distance between them;
- do not wash products from thin-walled porcelain with hard washcloths or hot water;
- for washing, it is better not to use chemical detergents, otherwise they can cause spoiling of the picture or cause fading of the colors of cutlery;
- the products do not tolerate sudden temperature extremes, so before brewing a cup of tea or coffee, preheat them – first with warm water, then a little hotter, etc .;
- move objects made of bone material when cleaning kitchen furniture with paper towels to prevent chips;
- wipe the porcelain with a dry cloth, removing dust from cups, saucers, etc .;
- do not store sets at open flame sources – they may warp as a result of heating.
The main manufacturers of bone china
The leaders among all manufacturers of products from such porcelain are the British, who were the first to master the technique of manufacturing material with the addition of bone ash. Japanese manufacturers also have excellent skills and considerable experience in creating thin-walled porcelain: they have changed the established proportion of the bone component in the composition of porcelain. The Japanese have developed a special formula, thanks to which the familiar technology has improved significantly. Well-known manufacturers:
- Imperial Porcelain Factory (IFZ). It was founded in 1744 by Empress Elizabeth the daughter of Peter the Great. At that time, the plant became the first porcelain enterprise in Russia and the third in all of Europe. In the early years, manufacturers of small things were there – mostly snuff-boxes for the empress. Over time, a large hearth was built and the plant began to produce larger items. The manufactory was reorganized with the accession of Catherine II. The end of the 18th century was the heyday of Russian porcelain, and IPF – one of the leading factories in Europe. As for porcelain with bone ash in the composition, a suitable mass was first developed in Soviet times – in 1968. The first such batch was issued by IFZ. Now the company is the only one in Russia that produces bone china and items from it..
- Royal doulton. A company from England, which has long specialized in the production of bone material and has the status of one of its largest manufacturers and suppliers. Together with the British factory Wedgwood, it is part of the alliance. Founded in 1815, the headquarters is located in Stoke-on-Trent (UK). Royal Doulton produces porcelain items of various shapes, sizes and purposes. The collections of this company are very popular in many countries..
- Wedgwood. Another well-known company that produces products from bone china. She has been supplying her for the English royal court for over 200 years. The foundation of the Wedgwood brand dates back to 1759, when Yeshua Wedgwood rented a manufactory in Berslem. In addition to classic dishes, the company produces avant-garde lines, which include products of an unconventional form, objects of art.
- Spode. A bone china brand from the UK with 200 years of experience. The company offers mugs, plates, sets made to the highest quality standards. Manufactory has existed since 1770. Josiah Spode (founder) once improved the bone china formula and was the first to supply tableware for the 18th-century English royal court. In 2009, Spode joined Portmeirion Grou, a well-known company for the production of high-end porcelain..
- Narumi. Japanese company, which was founded in 1911. Its products combine modernity and traditions, West and East, unique beauty and versatility. Since 1965, Narumi began to engage in mass production of porcelain. Narumi bone china products are for the most part hand-made. The brand has become a leader in high-end porcelain Bone China.
Buying an elegant porcelain with underglaze painting requires a competent and serious approach, especially if you are going to choose an expensive handmade souvenir. In addition, it is important to distinguish fake. The present high-quality creation has a pure translucent white color and gloss with good strength characteristics. Some companies try to combine innovative solutions with traditional recipes and design. Criterias of choice:
- Material color. It should have a warm, light shade and not be too white..
- Transparency. If the product is of high quality, then its walls will transmit light well. Holding a thing in your hands, you will clearly see through it the outlines of your fingers.
- Study drawing, applied to a porcelain item. Often it is applied manually, so you can notice characteristic strokes, a trace of the brush.
- Pay attention to the manufacturer. It is desirable that the back of the porcelain creation was marked with one of the famous brands. If the manufacturer is unfamiliar to you, then postpone the purchase, first study all the information about him.
- It is important to make sure the subject is smooth., lack of holes, inclusions, bubbles, scratches, chips on the surface and along the edges.
Where can I buy
It is possible to purchase products from bone china with a cold white tint in retail outlets specializing in the sale of luxury dishes. Look for large stores that often hold promotions, reducing the cost of goods. Visit outlets on your own: you will have a chance to carefully examine the items and verify the authenticity. You can order the next item from a trusted seller online. It will be good if you can agree that you will make the main payment after you check the goods.
The cost of bone china varies greatly depending on the manufacturer and type of product. Services, cups and saucers in which are so thin that they can transmit light, are in great demand. From the table you can find out the current prices for some types of bone china sets:
What is included
Price in rubles
Royal Bone China Gold embroidery for 6 people
6 cups, 6 saucers
Japonica Grace JDYSQH-5 for 6 people
6 cups, 6 saucers
Royal Aurel Hoarfrost for 6 people
6 cups, 6 saucers, teapot
Hankook Chinaware Silver Ribbon for 2
2 cups, 2 saucers
Lenardi series Golden Symphony for 6 persons
6 cups, 6 saucers
Royal Aurel Grace for 6 people
6 cups, 6 saucers
Lenardi series Silver symphony for 6 persons
6 cups, 6 saucers
Lenardi series Meissen bouquet for 6 people
6 cups, 6 saucers
Japonica Paradise JDFES-9 for 2 persons
2 cups, 2 saucers
Japonica Grace JDYSQH-4 for 6 people
6 cups, 6 saucers, 1 teapot, 1 milk jug, 1 sugar bowl