The content of the article
- What is poplin
- The composition and characteristics of the fabric
- Weaving density
- Weft threads and warp
- Varieties of Poplin
- Advantages of Poplin Fabric
- What is sewn from poplin
- Composition of poplin for bedding
- How to choose a poplin set
- Do you need special fabric care?
- Material price poplin
Today, there are many different materials for sewing, but not all are created from good, safe components. Now poplin is very popular – what kind of fabric, which has many positive reviews and is made mainly from natural cotton threads. Some manufacturers add synthetic fiber to the fabric. As the basis of the main technology for the production of poplin, a special plain weaving is used, which is used to create calico, calico.
What is poplin
The type of fabric that has long been considered one of the best for sewing clothes, bedding and other things is poplin. Products from this material are very body-friendly, soft, “breathable” and look beautiful. When people hear such a name, they are interested in how it stands out from other materials. The canvas is known as “papal fabric” (from the Italian “papalino” – papal).
Weavers from the city of Avignon sewed from poplin shiny chic clothes for the Pope and his retinue. Production was established in the French residence of the monarch. Material was made from silk, but over time, cotton and synthetic fibers began to be added to the composition. Poplin fabric entered the territory of Russia in the 18th century. Since then, it is often used for sewing high-quality, lightweight, quite affordable, beautiful things.
The composition and characteristics of the fabric
Modern manufacturers, as a rule, make poplin based on natural cotton; silk threads are also used for “dilution”. Sometimes synthetic elements are added to the composition to enhance the strength of the product. There is an expensive and valuable variety of poplin. This product, which is mainly made in China, India and Turkey, consists exclusively of cotton raw materials, it is characterized by higher quality and wear resistance..
Material poplin has a number of specific characteristics:
- Density. Unusual weaving allows you to achieve excellent density of the canvas, but at the same time, it turns out smooth and soft. Density is 115 ± 7 g / m?.
- Hygroscopicity. Matter ideally passes air, moisture. For example, a poplin shirt or dress perfectly “breathes”, so a person feels only comfort when wearing such clothes.
- Poplin products practically do not crease. Cross scars + embossed fabric structure give good shape retention.
- Unpretentiousness. Matter does not shed at all after any number of washings, does not require the use of special cleaning products and can withstand ironing.
- Inertia. Poplin is not affected by statistical electricity.
- Availability. The price matches the quality.
Some are interested in how poplin differs from calico, because they are similar. The main distinguishing features are as follows:
- Poplin is a type of natural silk material, and calico is cotton.
- Poplin has lower density and strength, unlike calico.
- Poplin is available with a relief pattern, and calico is distinguished by a dense, smooth surface.
There are two types of density that are tightly coupled: fiber weave density and surface strength. The density of the surface indicates the mass in grams of one square meter. Strength, thickness and density of weaves are important for quality. This indicator is characterized by the number of weft threads or warp threads per square centimeter. The larger this value, the higher the quality. The production of matter implies the use of different thicknesses of threads, therefore its density on the basis is greater than on weft.
Weft threads and warp
Linen weaving is considered the basis of production technology. An identical pattern is used to produce calico, chintz. This kind of weaving longitudinal threads (ducks) cross the warp (threads that run vertically). This type of weaving is the simplest. A poplin in a small scar always looks spectacular and beautiful. This effect is achieved through the use of threads varying in thickness (thick threads are used for weft, and thinner fibers are used for the warp).
Varieties of Poplin
There are several popular types of poplin. There is a separation according to the type of staining, which is described in detail below. There is also a classification by composition, which looks as follows:
- silk look may be produced;
- cotton type;
- mixed (cotton + a little viscose, silk, synthetics or wool).
The first variety of poplin in accordance with the method of coloring is bleached products. A yellowish or grayish tint that does not look very nice is removed from the canvas. This procedure is carried out using chemical treatment of tissue. Textiles of perfectly white color can immediately be used for sewing a particular product or pre-bleached for subsequent processing (for example, applying patterns).
Thanks to the use of special printing units, any ornament can be applied to matter. With the help of modern technologies, specialists get a clear, bright and most realistic pattern. To the touch, the fabric comes out silky, delicate. If dyes of exceptionally high quality are used in production, then they do not wash off for a long time, they are resistant to fading in the sun and environmental safety. There are several print options:
- Straight. In this case, a coloring agent is immediately applied to the base. Some manufacturers practice the method of applying paint, which is additionally fixed with a film. The material “printed” in this way becomes rigid and does not allow air to pass through.
- Etching printing involves applying a pattern to plain dyed textiles. At the same time, the dye is eliminated (etched) at the desired sites. After these manipulations, an ornament is formed.
- Back-up printing is characterized by the coating of textile areas that the coloring pigment should not fall onto, a special back-up mixture. After it is painted, and the reserve composition is removed after complete drying.
Poplin, which is pre-bleached and then painted in a certain bright color or a calmer shade, is a one-colored type of fabric (as in the photo). This event is performed using special coloring drums. In accordance with the production technology, ten-hour painting is carried out. Then the matter is erased, during which part of the paint is washed off. Thanks to this procedure, it becomes the most resistant to fading..
A type of material that is created by interweaving pre-dyed threads is multicolored textile. The application of paint on the threads and smooth dyeing of the canvas are carried out according to one scheme. For the procedure, specialists select a specific dye reagent for processing the substrate. The choice depends on the composition of the raw materials. The staining process is carried out in three stages:
- adsorption – absorption of paint particles;
- diffusion – the penetration of the coloring composition deep into the fibers;
- fixation – fixing pigment.
Advantages of Poplin Fabric
To understand why poplin is so popular, you need to study its merits. It has a number of advantages, among which:
- beautiful appearance, noble shine;
- high wear resistance;
- softness, lightness;
- the main advantage of poplin is resistance to sunlight, to the effects of temperature and other natural factors;
- perfectly breathable;
- special care is not required (for example, ironing is not required);
- the fabric is considered one of the most environmentally friendly, safe textile products;
- the presence of natural fibers;
- washing does not affect the fading of the poplin canvas, after which it holds its shape perfectly;
- does not cause an allergic reaction in adults and children, which only adds to the popularity of the product;
- differs in reasonable price in combination with quality.
As a rule, reviews about poplin are always positive, and dissatisfied consumers are rarely found. To avoid disappointment, it is better to find out in advance what disadvantages it has. There are a few minor disadvantages:
- There is a risk of material shrinkage. This is possible if it contains woolen threads..
- A difficult cut that creates scars on the surface. If you need to sew something, it is better to seek the help of an experienced seamstress..
What is sewn from poplin
Modern ateliers from poplin make many different things for a child and an adult. The most popular products from bilateral fabric are:
- items of clothing for sleep;
- casual wear: men’s shirts, shirts, women’s clothing (dresses, blouses, skirts), tracksuits, and so on;
Sleep kits are very much in demand. The reason lies in the fact that such products have several advantages, compared with linen from other raw materials. Pillowcases, sheets and duvet covers are much stronger, they better preserve their shape and color, are very pleasant to the touch, do not wrinkle, and are durable. In most cases, cotton material is used to make bedding, so the elements of sleep sets absorb moisture much better, retain heat and allow the skin to breathe.
Composition of poplin for bedding
Linen poplin is often made from the following components:
- Cotton. 100% cotton bedding is considered the most expensive and high quality. More popular among consumers are bedding sets made of grodezin, Turkish and Pakistani cotton. Due to the properties of cotton, spools do not form; textiles do not crease.
- Silk. Sleeping kits are often sewn from fabric, in which the threads of natural silk are intertwined with woolen fibers. Semi-silk sets have a matte sheen, chic gloss. They are very reminiscent of the spectacular front surface of natural silk..
- The most affordable, common and practical material is bed linen made from raw materials with weaving of synthetic (or artificial) threads in combination with cotton.
How to choose a poplin set
To buy a set of linen for long and comfortable use, you need to know how to choose it. Here are a few key factors to look for when purchasing a product:
- First you need to inspect each bedding for the principle of tailoring and quality.
- It is advisable to buy only those kits that are produced by well-known manufacturing factories. You can choose a texture without adding silk threads or vice versa buy silk underwear.
- The low quality of tailoring and the finished product as a whole can be determined when viewed close (by sticking out excess threads, uneven seams).
- Nice, high-quality textiles have a bright, clear pattern.
- There is a sure way to determine that the linen is really sewn from poplin. To do this, focus on quality characteristics. If you squeeze the material in your hand, then the natural version will take its original shape back.
Do you need special fabric care?
Care methods depend on the composition, so you should always pay attention to the label of any product. Especially before the first wash. For example, things sewn from pure cotton are safe and easy to wash off at high temperature conditions, boiled (if necessary), wrung out, ironed. A fabric with the addition of artificial impurities or synthetics can deteriorate from high temperatures, so it can be washed at a rate of no more than 40 degrees. Squeeze, dry and iron similar products more carefully.
Material price poplin
High-quality unique textiles are purchased in many specialized stores in Moscow and the region. Also, it is often ordered on the Internet at an affordable price, where you can familiarize yourself with the assortment in the catalog. Online purchases often give a chance to save, buy fabric cheaply on a stock or discount. You can buy any sort of poplin, choose the optimal color and structure. Below is the approximate cost in the capital and the region.
Approximate price in rubles per running meter.
Stuffed Poplin (China)
One-colored matter (Italy)
97% cotton + 3% elastane
One-colored poplin (Korea)
Multi-colored cloth (Russia)
3D Poplin (Russia)