The content of the article
- The number of fingers in a cat
- How many claws does a domestic cat have on its hind and front legs
- What time can the claws be removed
- How is the haircut and removal procedure carried out
- How much does it cost to tear out or trim the claws from a veterinarian
Lovely, tender, fluffy lumps of happiness – beloved cats, regardless of gender and age, become favorites of the whole family. Having hardly stepped softly, gracefully the threshold of the house, they feel like masters, in whose possession all interior items are without exception. The latter, at times, mercilessly suffer from sharp, honed claws of the family’s spoils. Do you know how many such claws your cat has?
The number of fingers in a cat
Most felines have 18 fingers on four legs. These soft, but strong springing limbs can hardly be called “fingers”. Rather, these are “pads” with sharp claws, which play an important role for the cat’s active lifestyle: climbing trees, running, even catching prey. So still, you managed to find out how many fingers with claws in your favorite household?
Classic 18 – a standard recognized, approved by international felinological organizations: WCF, TICA, others. However, some breeds of cats have up to 8 fingers on each paw or several. This phenomenon is called polydactyly, due to gene mutations. In Europe, Russia, such cats are rare, but in the open spaces of North America – this is common.
And what are the famous cats of Ernest Hemingway! The descendants of the writer’s six-fingered pet named Snowball are in special demand: beliefs say that these handsome men bring good luck, happiness to the house. A wide paw, sharp claws help polydactyl cats to move more easily in the snow. Many people believe that a developed finger provides an opportunity to grab objects, and an increased number of claws is better to climb trees..
Polydactyl cats, or as they are called Poly, have been highly respected and respected by sailors and merchants who cross oceans on ships since the beginning of the 19th century. If one of the parents is a carrier of such a gene, then the likelihood of having “extra” fingers increases to 60%. Felinologists argue that no matter how many fingers, claws of your beloved cat, the “ability”, the tendency to scratch hard surfaces, is affected by:
- Parenting by mom cat. If the latter is used to sharpening claws on a claw-claw (claw-dog), then she will also teach her children.
- Specially allocated place (scratching post, piece of wood) for a cat.
- Regular claw trimming, nail file grinding procedures.
How many claws does a domestic cat have on its hind and front legs
So, to correctly answer the question, how many claws does a domestic cat need to count? Most thoroughbred representatives of the cat world are happy owners of a standard set:
- 5 claws on forepaws. If you looked at your cat’s paw, you might notice that the four main ones are needed when walking and are located on the fingertips. The fifth claw, like the finger, is rudimentary, it is needed to perform certain functions and is located far from the rest.
- 4 claws on the hind legs.
In polydactyl cats, the number of fingers and claws may differ on each paw: from five to eight pads and claws. Often the difference between the front and hind legs is kept in one claw. The record holder among the “mittens” is a cat with 27 fingers. What distinguishes many-fingered cats is that the claws that grow on the extra phalanx grow faster than ordinary ones, require more careful, constant care.
What time can the claws be removed
Cat claws are an essential attribute of a natural lifestyle. They are needed for successful hunting, climbing trees, self-defense. Unfortunately, some owners prefer cleanliness, order, a whole furniture and wallpaper, so they turn to veterinarians with a request to remove the claws from a pet. Such an operation is called onihectomy. This very complicated surgical procedure involves the amputation of the cat’s claw phalanx..
In Russia, the removal of nails is called “Soft paws.” However, the attitude to the operation and veterinarians, and most cat lovers are negative. Having deprived their kitty of protection, people sometimes do not suspect about unpredictable consequences for pets. In some EU countries, an oniectomy is prohibited by law, and a veterinarian who decides to take such a risky operation may lose his license. This procedure is allowed only with special indications:
- If the cat’s behavior is so aggressive that it injures people or other pets.
- If there are physiological reasons related to your pet’s health.
The complexity of the operation, the severity of the possible consequences are so great that only young and healthy cats can undergo an oniectomy. Even under the condition of a quick and successful postoperative period, the further life of the fuzz will be disrupted. Removing the phalanges of the fingers with claws leads to a decrease in the size of the foot and the redistribution of the load on the musculoskeletal system. As a result, arthritis, joint displacement, impaired function of the vestibular apparatus will haunt the cat until the end of life.
How is the haircut and removal procedure carried out
Claw trimming is a simple procedure, it can be performed independently at home or by contacting a veterinary clinic. Of the tools you will need special tweezers, which are sold in pet stores. For lack of the latter, ordinary manicure tongs will do. Scissors are not recommended.
- To quickly and accurately restore beauty and put your cat’s claws in order, take your pet in your arms and sit in a chair.
- If your cat is not used to such a procedure, calm him down, pet him, help him to sit comfortably on his lap so that you have free access to his paws.
- Some veterinarians recommend trimming the claws individually on the legs with a period of time. The main thing is up to you: pay attention to the cat’s behavior and adjust the stages of the haircut procedure.
- Take the foot in your hand, gently push the middle on both sides: where the big pillow is.
- Claws hidden in a calm state will appear in front of you.
- Carefully and quickly cut the sharp ends without affecting the blood vessels, nerve endings. When “cat manicure” try not to hurt them, because bleeding is possible, which will help stop the tampon with hydrogen peroxide.
- Do not forget to gently talk to the animal during the haircut procedure, and after successful completion, encourage a treat.
The onihectomy procedure involves the surgical intervention of a veterinarian surgeon. The cat is anesthetized, and then the entire period while the anesthesia is in effect, the surgeon carefully removes a part of each phalanx of the finger with the claw. The incision site is then carefully sutured with a self-absorbable catgut. Postoperative recovery takes 5 to 7 days. At this time, a special collar is put on the cat so that she cannot get her own bandaged paws and damage the wounds.
An effective, effective and very stylish means of combating claws will be anti-scratches. Soft plastic caps reliably “hide” sharp nails, medical glue will fix the cases in place. Pay attention to the manufacturer, beware of fakes – and your pet or pet will look stylish and glamorous. Watch our video and you will learn how to properly care for your pet’s paws: which scissors or tweezers to choose, how many claws you need to cut, and other features of clipping.
How much does it cost to tear out or trim the claws from a veterinarian
Veterinary clinics offer a varied list of services for your pets. The most popular and regular procedure is cutting the claws of a specialist, sawing nails on all legs. Such a procedure costs from 300 to 2550 rubles. during the clinic and 1000-3200 rubles. when calling a veterinarian at home. If you need to tear out the claws of a cat, then you have to fork out:
- Removing the nails only from the front paws will cost 1700-4000 rubles. in the conditions of a veterinary clinic. Four “soft legs” will cost 2500-5200 rubles.
- For departure to the house, most of the pet shops and veterinary clinics take from 300 to 1300 rubles. in excess of the standard cost of the operation.