The content of the article
Metal products and tools corrode over time. An affordable and very effective way to get rid of rust is the use of citric acid. It is easy, safe and effective to use. In addition, the tool can be found in almost any home.
This method of removing traces of corrosion has many advantages. Advantages of the method:
- paint is not removed from the treated surface;
- the method does not involve large financial costs;
- the process is fully controlled;
- the solution after processing is allowed to be poured into the sink;
- the method is available (“lemon” is in almost every house and in all grocery stores).
The removal process is very simple. You will need acid and such devices:
- container for immersion of metal products;
- protective glasses;
- a metal brush, spatula, or other scraping device;
- thick rubber gloves.
Having prepared everything you need, you can start cleaning. How is acid used to remove rust from metal:
- Clean the surface of dirt, degrease. Use detergent, sponge and dishwashing net.
- Place the items to be cleaned in a plastic container.
- Pour warm water into a container. Temperature – 40-60 degrees.
- Add lemon crystals. Concentration – 3 packets of 50 g per 1 liter of water.
- Stir until crystals are completely dissolved.
- Pour the solution into the objects in a plastic container. Bubbles will appear on the surface – a sign that the reaction has gone.
- After half an hour or an hour, you will notice rusty flakes. If something doesn’t go away, you can additionally brush the objects with a brush for metal or a scraper (work only with gloves).
- If the products are very rusty, then it will take a little longer to restore them – about an hour and a half.
- After cleaning, pour the solution into the sink.
After rust has been removed, wash the products with water and dry them..
After the lemon solution, an oxide film will remain on them, which will protect the metal from corrosion for a short period of time. To extend this period, treat all items with a thin layer of machine oil. A protective film forms on them. If you do not have engine oil, you can use ordinary sunflower.