The content of the article
Due to their long thick coat, cats are especially susceptible to tick-borne infection. Ticks fall through the hairs on the skin, dig in and suck blood. They tolerate dangerous diseases, so a bite can cause discomfort in the pet, fever. Special pills help cope with parasites.
Popular are flea and tick remedies for cats from the Bravecto series, which are available in the form of chewable tablets. Their properties:
- Mechanism of action: the active component acts on the nervous system of parasites, blocks nerve impulses and leads to paralysis, causing the death of insects.
- Active ingredient: insectoacaricide fluralaner.
- The onset rate and duration of action: after 4 hours, the tablets begin to act, after 8 hours, fleas die, after 12 – ticks. The protective effect lasts 12 weeks.
- Method of application: give the drug with food at a dosage of 25-50 mg per kilogram of body weight. If the cat refuses medication, you need to put a pill on the root of the tongue. It is forbidden to break doses.
- Contraindications: kittens up to 8 weeks old, pregnancy, lactation, weight up to 2.5 kg.
- Side effects: nausea, vomiting, skin allergic reactions, increased salivation, lethargy, intestinal weakness, loss of appetite, poisoning.
- Price: 1000 rubles apiece.
Frontline flea and tick pills for cats are available in the form of chewable tablets and belong to the group of insecticaricidal preparations. Their properties:
- Mechanism of action: marked insectoacaricidal activity against larvae and adult parasites. The active component blocks gamma-aminobutyric acid-dependent pathogen receptors, causes overexcitation of neurons, disrupts the transmission of nerve impulses, leads to paralysis and death of the insect.
- Active ingredient: afoxolaner – a drug from the isoxazoline group.
- Speed of onset and duration of action: begins to act after half an hour of use, destroys fleas in 6 hours, ticks in 2 days. Prevents re-infection within a month.
- Method of application: give medicine with food 0.5-1.25 g depending on body weight.
- Contraindications: kittens up to 2 months old, weight less than 2 kg, individual intolerance to the components of the composition, sick or weakened animals.
- Side effects: vomiting, nausea, rapid salivation, lethargy, loss of appetite, diarrhea.
- Price: 450 rub. for 1 pc.
Products from fleas and ticks for cats from the Lufferonon series are available in the form of tablets for taking them with food. Their properties:
- Mechanism of action: penetrates the mucous membrane of the small intestine. It is deposited in adipose tissue, released and transported to the blood. The active component prevents the formation of larvae from eggs, which leads to the inability to reproduce parasites.
- Active substance: lufenuron.
- The onset rate and duration of action: after half an hour it starts to act, retains the effect for a month.
- Method of application: give with food.
- Contraindications: intolerance to components, pregnancy, lactation, age up to 2 months.
- Side effects: nausea, lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, itchy skin, drowsiness.
- Price: 750 rub. for 1 pc.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cat Mite Pills
When using tick tick tablets for cats, it’s useful to know their advantages and disadvantages. So, the advantages of using drugs include:
- the onset of action is already two hours after administration, achieving the maximum effect after 8-12 hours and maintaining the effect for 1-3 months;
- through the bloodstream, the active components of the drug penetrate into all parts of the body, do not leave weak spots for the penetration of parasites in comparison with local sprays or shampoos;
- dosage is calculated based on weight, the risk of overdose is minimal;
- do not cause resistance in ticks, exclude re-infection with fleas (they do not have time to lay eggs);
- drugs with caution, but can be used during pregnancy or lactation.
The disadvantages of using tablet anti-tick drugs in cats include the fact that they are taken after an insect bite. There is a risk that the infection has already entered the animal’s body and began to influence, so taking the medicine is not able to slow down the development of pathology.