The content of the article
- Impact on weeds
- Vinegar Recipes
- Acetic acid in various concentrations
- With salt
- With soap
- The combination of acetic and citric acids
- Application methods
- Precautionary measures
Weeding the garden and garden takes a lot of time and effort, and after a few days new weeds begin to sprout, which take away nutrients from planted crops. To more effectively deal with weeds, you can use a folk remedy, not inferior in effectiveness to chemical reagents, but completely safe for the soil.
Impact on weeds
Getting on the stems of plants, acetic acids completely burn them, without exerting a negative effect on humans, soil and animals, since the substances quickly and completely decompose into carbon dioxide and water. Summer residents who have already tried vinegar against weeds, note its effectiveness even in densely overgrown with wheat grass..
There is no plant that this folk herbicide could not cope with, which, in addition, helps to get rid of ants on the site (insects avoid such harsh odors). The mechanism of action of vinegar on weeds is similar to the action of special chemicals, it causes the following processes:
- destruction of plant cell membranes, as a result of which the weed grass dries and dies;
- blocking photosynthesis, due to which weed growth stops abruptly;
- metabolic arrest, depletion of plants due to the cessation of the synthesis of amino acids, cellulose and other important components.
During the contact of vinegar with weed, acid penetrates not only into the aerial part, but also into the roots, providing a complex effect. Due to this property, the product completely destroys unwanted vegetation in the garden.
Weed control by folk remedies, with all their safety and environmental friendliness, should be carried out competently. If you pour the solution around, you can completely burn out the bed and leave hollow earth after such treatment. It is necessary to distribute the liquid on the leaves and stems of weed grass. After a few days, they will begin to turn yellow and wither. It is important to note that the hotter the weather, the faster the herbicide will act. The aggressiveness of the agent increases in proportion to the concentration of acetic acid in the solution.
Acetic acid in various concentrations
Table vinegar for the preparation of the herbicide can be used in different concentrations. According to the classic recipe, weed is irrigated with 9% acetic acid, after which the plants quickly die. This method is suitable for the point extermination of separately growing weeds..
Another effective way to combat unwanted vegetation in the garden, which helps in the extermination of perennial herbs with a deeply located root system, is to dilute 1% of 40% acetic acid with water. This concentrated solution kills even the most chemically resistant weeds..
A more gentle method of dealing with weeds is the use of 6% table vinegar. Take 2.5 cups of the product and dilute it with a liter of water. The composition is sprayed with the aerial parts of the weeds. After 2-3 days, if necessary, repeat the procedure.
If other means can not cope with the weed on the site, it is worth trying to prepare a more caustic composition. According to reviews, weed control with vinegar and salt is very effective: this mixture cleans areas near garden paths, fences and other places where garden and vegetable crops do not grow. This technique will help to eradicate even perennial weeds, which after weeding again and again grow on the site. To prepare the product, you must:
- boil a liter of water;
- combine boiling water with 5 tbsp. l 9% vinegar;
- here add 2 tbsp. l salt.
The resulting liquid product is watered with weed, and one procedure is enough to achieve the expected effect. In addition, you can sprinkle salt with aisle on the beds – this will not allow unwanted plants to germinate in the future.
In the fight against unwanted plants, you can use liquid soap or dishwasher detergent. A mixture of such a product with vinegar must be sprayed on weeds using a spray gun. Orchards are pre-coated with a thin film or other light material. The recipe looks like this:
- 150 g of salt, 1 tbsp. are placed in an empty bottle l liquid soap;
- here also add a liter of 6% table vinegar (to enhance the effect, you can use a concentrated fifteen percent product);
- the contents of the bottle are thoroughly shaken and gently poured on weed grass.
The combination of acetic and citric acids
Experienced gardeners recommend combating weeds with a mixture of two acids. The optimal ratio is 3 parts of acetic and 1 part of citric acid. In this case, vinegar is better to use at least 15% concentration. After all crystals are dissolved, the liquid is poured into a spray bottle and used to spray unwanted grass.
Using solutions containing acetic acid and additional components, it is important to remember that such compounds are able to destroy any plants that fall. In the immediate vicinity of garden crops they are used with extreme caution. It is better to cover the beds with paper or other material for the duration of the treatment..
In places of concentration of weeds, it is recommended to use the method of total watering of plants and soil – this will help get rid of weeds for a long time. However, it must be borne in mind that cultural plantings will not be able to grow in these areas for several years. This technique is not preferred for beds, but for garden paths, places near the fence. During processing, the following conditions must be observed:
- the optimal time for processing is the end of spring and the beginning of summer (before the flowering of weeds);
- spraying weeds is in the morning (in the absence of bright sunlight);
- it is important that the weather is calm, dry (rain should be waited);
- it is important to act extremely carefully, avoiding the ingress of drops of vinegar on the leaves of cultivated plants and soil
- for convenience of distribution of liquid it is possible to use a spray.
Even in a diluted state, vinegar remains a volatile chemically active substance: the higher its concentration, the more harmful it affects the mucous membranes and skin. When working with the product, it is important to observe safety precautions; neglect of them threatens burns of the respiratory tract and skin. Fundamental rules:
- all work should be carried out with rubber gloves, a respirator or gauze bandage;
- ingredients should be mixed carefully, without risk of skin contact;
- if the solution gets on the body, immediately wash it off with water.