The content of the article
- What is ABS plastic
- Characteristics of ABS plastic
- Melting temperature
- ABS plastic manufacturing
- Use in 3D Printing
- Danger to humans
- The largest manufacturers
- ABS Composite Materials
Modern industry tirelessly works on the invention of new, increasingly versatile materials. For example, plastic is characterized by numerous beneficial properties. It is divided into many types. One of the most practical and universal is a material called ABS plastic, which has a very high strength and a long list of other equally useful properties..
What is ABS plastic
Plastic made from a combination of three monomers – acrylonitrile, butadiene and styrene – is a useful scientific achievement. The heavy-duty combination of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene has been widely used in engineering. The name was the three initial letters of the constituent substances. At its core, this plastic is a technical thermoplastic resin. The proportions of the monomers in the finished product can vary in the range of up to 20%, on which the final properties of the material will depend. They differ in that they remain among the highest..
Characteristics of ABS plastic
ABS material has numerous useful properties that allow the use of plastic in a wide variety of industries. The main ones are impact resistance and durability, which keeps the ABS plastic product intact even when hit with a sledgehammer. Under strong pressure, the material is deformed, but not destroyed, after which it is easily recoverable. Other characteristics of the ABS polymer include:
- Color: opaque with a yellowish tint, glossy surface. It is possible to obtain a transparent modification of the product and coloring in different colors.
- Toxicity: under normal conditions, the ABS material is non-toxic.
- Service life: the material is durable provided it is protected from direct sunlight.
- Density: 1.02-1.06 g / cm?.
- Solubility: ABS material breaks down under the influence of acetone, esters, ketones, 1,2-dichloroethane.
- Exposure to temperatures: plastic can be used from? 40 ° C to +90 ° C, heat resistance 103, some types of ABS at 113 ° C.
- Exposure to aggressive agents: the material is resistant to alkalis, acids, oils, detergents, moisture.
The strength of plastic is maintained over a wide temperature range, although it is not recommended to use ABS material in direct sunlight and to expose it to ultraviolet radiation. At different temperature indicators, the following occurs with it:
- at 220 ° C – it melts;
- at 395 ° С the material spontaneously ignites;
- at 100 ° C the ABS begins to soften;
- 200-260 ° С – range of technological temperatures;
- long-term operation of ABS material is possible at a maximum of 75-80 ° C.
ABS plastic manufacturing
Polymer production is very active (production capacity – 8 million tons per year) and grows by 5.5% annually. In order to get 1 kilogram of ABS material, you need 2 kilograms of oil – the main source of raw materials. The individual components are copolymerized and produced in two types: plastic sheet or granular. The first can serve as a finished product or blank for parts. Using the vacuum molding method, other more complex products are produced from it. Plastic in granules is the raw material for casting all kinds of products.
ABS material has been used in many industries. Plastic is found as an additive that improves the characteristics of materials; various products are made from it. Household appliances, cars, tools, daily use products – everywhere there was a use for polymer. From it release:
- large parts for machines (radiator grills, controls, dashboard shields, enclosures);
- details of television and radio equipment, vacuum cleaners, telephones, remotes, coffee makers, fax machines, computers, etc .;
- Sports Equipment;
- weapons details;
- plumbing products;
- musical instruments;
- toys, designers;
- medical equipment parts;
- suitcases, containers.
Use in 3D Printing
Plastic has found its application as a material for printers that produce 3D printing, although this is not too cheap. For this, the polymer is modified and produced on special coils. In this field of application, it is advantageous in that high-strength products can be made from it, but in order to obtain it, one has to overcome many technological difficulties.
3D printers have to be optimized by installing heated working platforms on them. They provide climate control of the working chamber. Otherwise, the plastic significantly loses volume during cooling, which leads to deformation and delamination of the finished product. The advantages of using plastic in 3D printing are that its components are easy to glue, releasing bulky goods, it is easy to machine them using ordinary acetone.
Danger to humans
Impact-resistant plastic, although highly functional, can be dangerous in some cases, being a chemical compound. He threatens human health if:
- ABS is being heated. In this case, acrylonitrile evaporates from the plastic. During production, heating is inevitable, so work with plastic is carried out in closed boxes equipped with powerful hoods.
- In contact with food. It is prohibited to heat food in plastic products. The contact of ABS with alcohol, the substances of which react with the plastic components and the release of styrene harmful to health, is also unacceptable.
- In contact with biomaterials, which is possible in medicine.
ABS plastic is not in vain widely used, even despite the expensive production. She possesses high operational indicators which other polymers cannot “brag” of:
- ABS is easy to handle.
- She can be enhanced.
- Can be released in any color, including transparent.
- Safe for human health and the environment.
- Can be recycled.
- Flexible, highly impact resistant, rebound.
- Its weight is lighter compared to other types of plastic.
With all the positive qualities, this type of plastic has some disadvantages. This narrows the range of application of the material, although manufacturers are looking for ways out of such situations. The weaknesses of the ABS include:
- Low weather resistance. The plastic is adversely affected by ultraviolet and the sun, due to which it loses its luster and some other properties.
- Low electrical insulation.
- No electromagnetic shielding.
The largest manufacturers
Heavy-duty ABS material is manufactured all over the world. In total there are 48 manufacturers of this raw material. Among them, one can distinguish several large and well-established in the market:
- Russia. Two major manufacturers Nizhnekamskneftekhim and Plastic are engaged in production here..
- Japan. Well-known manufacturer of ABS material – Techno Polymer.
- Europe. Stand out by the scale of production of Dow Chemicals, Ineos, Polimeri Europe.
- Three major manufacturers of ABS material are located in Taiwan. This is Chi Mei Corporation, Grand Pacific, Formosa.
- Four companies in the Republic of Korea: Samsung Cheil Industries, Lanxess, BASF, LG Chemicals.
ABS Composite Materials
This type of product is widely used due to the fact that the material can be modified. Due to this, properties change and new opportunities appear. The most common ABS-based materials include:
- Composite ABS / PC. This ABS material is more heat-resistant, can be heated up to 145 ° С for a short time, has increased impact resistance and frost resistance, is resistant to various chemical solutions.
- Composite ABS / PVC. This material is more weather-resistant, has good resistance to aging, is easily processed, short-term heating to 97 ° C is allowed.
- Composite ABS / PBT. Its differences – stability at elevated temperatures, maximum short-term heating – 150 ° C, ABS resistance to many substances, such as gasoline, acids, alkalis and others.
- Composite ABS / PA. The maximum short-term heating of the material is 250 ° С, this type is more impact-resistant, wear-resistant, chemically stable than the starting material.
You can buy a sheet of plastic in bulk or individually, in different colors and sizes. You can choose plastic in sheets or kilograms. The cost depends on the size, weight, stamping. You can determine the indicators by marking the goods. When ordering a large number of manufacturers often sell at discounted prices. If you want to buy ABS plastic in Moscow or order from St. Petersburg, the purchase will cost approximately in this range (excluding shipping costs):
Sheet thickness mm
Sheet dimensions, mm
Sheet weight, kg
Price in rubles
1000 * 3000
1,542 / sheet
1000 * 3000
3 083 / sheet
1500 * 3000
246 / kg
white with UV
1000 * 1400
256 / kg