The content of the article
- What is travel compensation for pensioners
- What are the benefits
- At the federal level
- Local benefits
- Benefits on public transport
- Who is entitled to free public transport
- Who is entitled to the electric train privilege in 2018?
- Compensation of travel to the place of rest and back
- Where to get a ticket
- How to get a free ride
Citizens of the Russian Federation of retirement age need to contact the local social protection agency to apply for travel compensation for a pensioner in 2018. Transport subsidies will be financed from the federal and regional budgets on the basis of relevant legislative acts. The right to use municipal public transport for free will remain for a number of privileged categories, other elderly people will be able to issue material compensation or a reduced ticket.
What is travel compensation for pensioners
Travel subsidies for pensioners are one of the types of social state support for this category of citizens. After the retirement age (women – 55 years old, men – 60 years old) every citizen of the Russian Federation has the right to receive benefits when using city public transport (metro, buses, trams, trolleybuses). The rules for reduced fares do not apply when using minibuses.
What are the benefits
The reduced fare for pensioners on public transport is partially subsidized at the federal level, partially financed from regional budgets. The size of payments and the scheme of their accrual change annually. State social services recommend annually applying for clarification of information and execution of necessary documents for compensation. In addition to reduced fare, pensioners are entitled to a number of other federal and regional benefits.
At the federal level
Compensation for travel for pensioners in 2018 for a number of preferential categories of citizens at the federal level will be made on the basis of the following legislative acts:
- Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation “On approval of the rules for compensation of expenses for paying the fare for pensioners” dated 04/01/2005 No. 176.
- The Law “On Veterans” dated 12.01.1995 No. 5-FZ.
- Law “On the Social Protection of Persons with Disabilities” dated November 24, 1995 No. 181-ФЗ.
According to federal law, along with compensation for travel, citizens of retirement age have the right to use such benefits financed from the federal budget:
- Tax incentives – exemption from property tax (one property owned), tax deduction for housing for working pensioners (due to income tax compensation).
- Holidays – the right to an additional paid vacation of 14 days.
- Utilities – preferential payment of the overhaul fee: 50% for people over 70 years old, 100% for citizens over 80 years old (in the absence of arrears on utility bills and only for lonely residents).
- Financial – supplement to the subsistence level for all categories of pensioners when the amount of the assigned pension is below this minimum acceptable threshold. There are still allowances for age, disability, care for a disabled dependent, for work in the Far North and equivalent regions.
- Transport – for people living in the Far North and equivalent regions, an annual paid from the budget travel to the place of rest and back across the territory of the Russian Federation is provided. There are transport benefits for military pensioners and employees of law enforcement bodies and state security.
The regional level provides for special tariffs and other methods of providing reduced fare (for example, payment of compensation). At the same time, the size of the subsidies and the procedure for their provision each region sets independently, based on local programs of social support for the population of privileged categories. For Moscow residents of retirement age in 2018, free travel by municipal transport and commuter trains will be replaced by an increase in monthly transport compensation. Other regional benefits include:
- benefits for utility bills (water, electricity) – for lonely pensioners in the absence of debt for housing services;
- allowance for seniority as a civil servant, military (for injury during service), for maternal labor, professional allowances, bonuses to donors, allowances to Moscow pensioners.
Benefits on public transport
Monetary compensation is provided to all categories of citizens of retirement age, does not apply to long-distance transportation (the exception is the right of pensioners of the Far North to a place of rest in the territory of the Russian Federation), is carried out at the local level by applying for:
- special tickets;
- the establishment of special travel rules for citizens of retirement age;
- compensatory pension allowance.
Benefits and compensation are provided when using city municipal public transport, do not apply to taxis, minibuses and private bus routes. Concession tickets for commuter trips (buses, trains) are provided only to certain categories of citizens of retirement age in the amount of full compensation (free travel).
Seasonal benefits are provided for air transportation – for pensioners living in remote regions (Siberia, the Far East), for long-distance railway – for senior citizens – residents of the Far North. Compensation amounts for other categories of citizens of retirement age are set individually by the regional authorities, in accordance with the local policy of social protection of the poor.
Who is entitled to free public transport
Full compensation – free travel for pensioners in public transport – is provided for by federal legislation for such categories of Russian citizens as:
- participants and disabled WWII (World War II);
- family members of the military who died during the hostilities;
- injured in the aftermath of the Chernobyl accident;
- rear workers;
- Heroes of labor of the times of the USSR and the Russian Federation, members of their family:
- prisoners of concentration camps, prisoners of war;
- disabled people of all groups;
- persons recognized as victims of political repression, rehabilitated;
- awarded with the “Honorary Donor” sign (in Soviet times and in the period of modern Russia);
- Families raising children with disabilities, plus persons looking after children with disabilities;
- children and other categories of citizens receiving a survivor’s pension.
Who is entitled to the electric train privilege in 2018?
Preferential fare in trains will be provided to federal beneficiaries. For other categories of pensioners, the issue of compensation will be addressed at the regional level. In 2018, Moscow pensioners will lose free travel in suburban trains – it will be compensated by a twofold increase in monthly transportation payments. WWII veterans, disabled people and employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and other state security agencies will retain the right to preferential use of suburban transport throughout the Russian Federation.
Pensioners of St. Petersburg will be able to get a seasonal discount when using short-range electric trains of 90% in the period from May to October. Residents of the Leningrad Region of retirement age will enjoy an 85% discount regardless of the season. Pensioners permanently residing in Moscow and having a Moscow residence permit will retain the right to ride electric trains for free within the Moscow Ring Road. Residents of other regions should clarify their benefits at local social protection authorities.
Compensation of travel to the place of rest and back
At the federal level, preferential categories include payment for travel to treatment sites. There is a fare for pensioners of the Far North who receive a retirement pension for old age or disability, to the place of rest and back once a year inside the country. To receive compensation, you must contact a pension fund. The application is submitted in the form prescribed by law, indicating the place of rest and documents confirming the citizen’s upcoming stay in a sanatorium, dispensary or any other place of rest.
Northerners with confirmed official status can receive compensation in the form of reimbursement of expenses for the purchase of tickets, or in the form of a preferential travel document. The exemption applies to the following types of trips:
- railway transport (reserved seats for passenger trains);
- air transport (economy class);
- inland water transport (cabins of the third category on all ships performing domestic voyages);
- sea transport (cabins of 4-5 groups of a sea vessel for all lines of regional communication);
- motor transport (intercity buses on regular routes).
Privileges to travel to the treatment site within the Russian Federation are also reimbursed once a year to military pensioners with a length of service of 20-25 years. Compensation for ticket prices is also provided for persons accompanying them. Preferential tickets upon presentation of the relevant documents are issued at any box office. Restrictions apply to persons who retire after 2012. These citizens will have to pay for transport services by rail, air and road..
Where to get a ticket
To obtain a ticket, a pensioner needs to contact the social security authorities, write a statement of the established form and attach the relevant documents (passport, pension certificate and documents entitling to receive benefits) to it. After receiving a certificate of medical social examination, a citizen is registered in a single database of beneficiaries. The received certificate is the basis for a travel card, which is issued at any box office and is valid for all types of municipal public transport.
How to get a free ride
Compensation for travel for pensioners in 2018 will be made out on the basis of the necessary documents in the departments of local social protection. A citizen of retirement age has the right to refuse to receive a reduced fare in favor of receiving a compensatory monthly payment. The material benefit will have to be transferred in parallel with the main pension payment. Funds issued monthly.
In some regions, instead of a ticket, the state issues a transport card with a limited number of trips per month, which, upon presentation of the relevant documents, can be issued at the multifunctional public services centers. For pensioners of St. Petersburg there will be a single personalized travel card for citizens with a residence permit or officially registered (valid for permanent residence). With it, older people will be able to purchase tickets for all types of municipal public transport at a reduced price.