The content of the article
- What is crepe paper
- Unlike corrugated
- Crepe paper for sterilization
- Crepe Paper Crafts
In needlework and do-it-yourself crafts, crepe paper is often found. This is a special material from which lush products of any volume and shape can be made. Get acquainted with the types, advantages and features of crepe paper, learn how to make flowers, pompons, balls or garlands from it, decorate a house or restaurant hall before the holidays.
What is crepe paper
Crepe paper first appeared in London in 1856; it was originally used as a lining material in the design of hats. Today, the industry produces a wide range of materials in different colors, types and grades. A popular direction for using the material is gift wrapping and decoration. Classification:
- Height (flute size): Type E (1.5 mm), Type B (3.2 mm), Type A (5 mm).
- By type of packaging: in a roll or sheet. The latter is easier to store..
In needlework, crepe paper is a fine-mesh thin but durable material. Outwardly, it is a paper sheet covered with small folds, which makes the material look like a finely folded accordion. With careless handling, it is easy to tear it in the longitudinal direction. Volumetric or flat products that differ in elegance are well made from it. Sheets can increase in width by spreading, which allows you to make concave and convex shapes of crafts.
Crepe and corrugated paper are two different things. Many are accustomed to calling the crepe type corrugated, but this is wrong. Real corrugation is coarser, has clearly defined folds, while crepe contains very small folds. Get the material through corrugation (which is translated from French means pressing the pattern) – creating artificial folds by multiple bending of the sheet.
Corrugated cardboard is made on the basis of thick paper, which is used as a protective layer for packing fragile gifts, glass, and household appliances. Due to the folds, the material creates a “cushion effect”, protecting the products from shock and damage, preventing them from breaking. The material may be called fluting or liner, but they differ from crepe in that rough and not so plastic, contain a fibrous filling.
The advantages of elegant crepe paper: it has flexibility, holds its shape well. Due to this, the material is used to create scenery, window dressing, stands, fine art for preschoolers and schoolchildren. A wide range of colors comes in handy in decorating bouquets; artificial flowers and compositions can be made from it. Features of the crepe type:
- made from recycled material or waste paper;
- used for decoration or printing;
- It is inexpensive;
- convenience in storage, does not require special conditions;
- easy to create;
- eco-friendly and safe for human and animal health, completely decomposes in the soil without polluting the environment.
Crepe paper for sterilization
In addition to needlework and creativity, crepe paper can be used in medicine to sterilize instruments, clothes and utensils. Doctors before treating with steam in autoclaves or with ethylene oxide gas, wrap clothes, bedding with two standard sheets and fix with adhesive tape. Previously on the sheet they write what is inside, and when laid down for processing.
After sterilization, the properties of the contents are maintained for six months. For processing tools, sheets are lined with the bottom of trays or autoclaves. In medical practice, reinforced, standard, soft and lining varieties of material are used. It is characterized by environmental friendliness, moisture resistance, durability, elasticity, lack of pile and low weight.
It is convenient to use paper of other colors for processing various medical devices: it is easier to sort ready-made sterilized things and immediately put them in separate compartments for storage. Doctors will only have to open the sealed packaging and immediately start using the packaged item. This reduces search time and optimizes performance..
In needlework, craftswomen and simply amateurs prefer to buy paper from the Italian manufacturer Cartotecnica Rossi. Its advantages include the presence of more than 57 shades of color, the ability to purchase a two-sided type, with a metal coating or color transitions on one sheet. Such paper is recommended for the manufacture of flowers and bouquets. German manufacturers are popular.
Chinese or Polish brands are not recommended for creativity, because they are difficult to stretch, they do not take shape and do not hold it, they quickly break. In medicine, paper in German, French and Finnish production is in demand (STERINA, STERICLIN, AMCOR FLEXIBLS SPS and STERIKING). They are environmentally friendly, durable. SteriT from Vinar is isolated from domestic manufacturers.
Crepe Paper Crafts
Making crafts from crepe paper for children will be a joy. What can be made of material:
- artificial delicate flowers – outwardly do not differ from living ones, their petals can be painted with watercolors and bent in any direction (chamomiles, peonies, anemones);
- bouquets of sweets – the basis of the frame;
- topiary on the rod;
- volumetric decorations for paintings, cards and jewelry boxes.
Making DIY crepe paper flowers with your own hands will be easy thanks to step-by-step instructions. There are many options for modeling flower petals and whole bouquets. How to make a tulip according to the scheme:
- You will need pink and green paper, bamboo skewer, glue Moment or PVA.
- Glue the flower leg with a thin strip of material.
- Cut the pink rectangles, make the oval edges with a rounding, fasten three petals on a skewer with glue or thread.
- Form the petals so that the edges look outward and not inward, fasten with glue, stick three more petals to the joints, re-shape, bend.
- Glue the oblong leaf to the leg.
- To get a volumetric flower, twist the rectangles-blanks in the middle, bend in half.
Several flowers are combined into a bouquet. A more elaborate craft is topiary, a miniature composition that mimics a flowering tree. For the manufacture you will need crepe paper, base, glue, skewers, threads:
- Wrap a ball of napkins or make a basis of plasticine. Fix the base on a flower pot or jar, mask.
- Cut out several paper circles of different colors and diameters. Press the biggest red circle exactly in the center, use a pencil for this.
- Fix with glue two small circles. Repeat with a white blank, alternate layers with different colors.
- Fill the base with green leaves, fix on the stand, decorate with ribbon.
Brooches and hair clips are made in the same way – glue ready-made flowers onto the base, combine with beads and fabric, wear for the holidays. Anemones look great as decoration:
- It will take white, black paper, green tape, thick wire, scissors, glue.
- Cut a black strip of fringe for stamens.
- Cut a black square, stretch a little, put a cotton ball in the center, wrap it, twist with a black thread.
- Attach the fringe, twist again with a thread.
- Cut 10 white petals, glue a fringe box to them, attach the wire.
- Wrap the leg with green ribbon.
Peonies are considered one of the most beautiful flowers for decorating festive weddings. Their manufacture requires the use of a template for the petals (see photo). Step-by-step instruction:
- You will need white, yellow and green paper, wire, scissors, a glue gun, adhesive tape.
- Cut 6 large heart-shaped petals, 7 small and medium-sized each from a white sheet, five leaves, three sepals of green, cut yellow fringes into fringes for stamens.
- Collect the stamens around, make a ball, to which, with a glue gun, attach in turn small, then medium, then large petals.
- Glue the sepals to the base.
- Drape the wire with a green ribbon or tape, fasten the leaves, fasten the bud on top.
The easiest way to make small paper flowers is to assemble a finished tape of crepe paper. Cut the material into thin long strips and start twisting it counterclockwise from the left edge. Carefully fold until the desired volume or size is obtained, fasten the base with wire or a stapler, cut off the ends of the tape. If desired, collect flowers in a garland.
The most beautiful flowers for bouquets are roses. They can also be made of crepe-type paper at home. Follow the instructions:
- You will need red paper, green tape, scotch tape, wire, thread, scissors, candy.
- Cut 4 rectangles for the petals, one for the stem.
- Make a hook at the end of the wire, fasten the candy on it, gently hold the ends of the candy wrapper.
- Fold the rectangle for the petals five times, round the ends, stretch and wrap the candy. Tie the base with a thread, open the petals with a strong cut, tighten the ends with a pencil.
- Repeat with other buds, cut the green workpiece with a fringe, form a sepals, wrap with thread.
- Tape the leg with tape or tape.
A simpler version of the rose is useful for making flat panels or filling saucers or paintings. For the manufacture of:
- take a stapler, three-layer paper of red or white color, a round blank (adhesive tape is suitable);
- fold 4 sheets together, circle a round blank, each pierce with a stapler twice crosswise;
- cut circles on the workpiece;
- Wash each petal, straighten, to get a magnificent rose;
- if desired, make a leg of wire and a green ribbon, attach the bud with a thread.
Crepe paper jewelry has become popular, because they differ in volume and beautiful decor. To decorate the festive feast, try making honeycomb balls:
- You need crepe paper, cardboard, glue, double-sided tape, scissors, a needle, thread.
- Cut a piece of cardboard equal to the diameter of the ball, cut in half.
- Cut a thin sheet of 40-45 layers into rectangular blanks, spread with glue in equal strips at intervals.
- Put the second layer on top, glue the new, repeat with all the blanks.
- Put a stencil of cardboard on the resulting pack, cut a semicircle.
- Sew the edges of the threads, but tighten them tightly, otherwise the ball will not open.
- Glue the halves with double-sided tape.
- Open the ball, the edges can be processed with a nail file for negligence.
In addition to honeycomb balls, you can make accordion balls that look no less beautiful and voluminous. They are made similarly to the first, but the gluing does not go with horizontal lines, but along the slices and the blanks are not a semicircle, but an arc 3-4 cm wide. Instructions:
- Lubricate the first workpiece with glue on the inside of the arc, apply a second, and coat its outer edge.
- Repeat in layers to the desired volume (40-45 sheets).
- As a result, it turns out that the workpieces are glued to the adjacent upper or lower arc edges, which will give a corrugated surface.
- Sew the edges with threads, connect with double-sided tape, hang the expanded accordion ball by the eyelet or hook. If desired, decorate with beads, rhinestones.
Unlike balls, decorative pompons are even easier to make. They can decorate weddings, birthdays and other holidays. Follow the instructions:
- Need crepe paper, wire or thread, scissors.
- Take 8-9 sheets of multi-colored or plain natural color, the same size, fold together.
- Bend with an accordion with a step width of 2 cm, in the middle fasten with wire, thread or a stapler. If the pompoms will hang, it is better to make a hook from the wire.
- Trim the edges of the pompom on both sides, make a sharp or rounded tip.
- Gently fluff the resulting pompom, hang it by the hook.
- Collect large pompons in colored garlands, decorate them with openings or ceilings. Small can decorate napkins, cutlery.
Crepe paper is sold in specialized needlework stores, on the websites of craft goods. Approximate prices for material in Moscow will be:
Price in rubles
Roll 50 * 200 cm, density 32 g / m, China
Roll 50 * 250 cm, density 32 g / m, tensile 45%, China
Roll 50 * 200 cm, density 32 g / m, Czech Republic
Roll 50 * 200 cm, density 32 g / m, Germany