The content of the article
- What is cold porcelain?
- How to make cold porcelain with your own hands
- A tutorial for beginners
- Cold porcelain recipe without cooking
- How to cook potato starch on the stove
- How to color the resulting mass
- How to do crafts
- How to dry the finished product
- DIY handmade porcelain items
Creativity involves working with all kinds of materials. When sculpting figures, for example, in addition to clay, you can use cold porcelain, which is much easier to deal with. This plastic composition is more delicate, which guarantees the preservation of a feeling of weightlessness in finished crafts. Often, cold porcelain is used to make flowers and small details that require careful study..
What is cold porcelain?
The main ingredients, without which it is difficult to imagine the preparation of this type of porcelain, have long been considered glycerin, corn starch, PVA glue and oil. Modern recipes undergo changes in composition. A homogeneous molding composition was invented at the beginning of the last century in distant Argentina. Initially, it was created for the manufacture of small figures with many details. Cold porcelain art sculpting is popular among adults and children because of the extreme simplicity of working with it..
How to make cold porcelain with your own hands
The convenience of soft supple mixes for creativity lies in the possibility of preparing them at home. You can make cold porcelain with your own hands without any special effort and money. Step-by-step instructions vary, but basically contain the same steps and ingredients. A cold porcelain recipe at home can contain such a step as cooking, or can do without it. There are cooking methods even in the microwave, but they are more time-consuming.
A tutorial for beginners
To learn how to fashion beautiful figures, it will take time, but even beginners who have never before been involved in sculpting crafts will be able to cook cold porcelain. The mass is prepared from the following components:
- corn starch;
- baking soda;
- vegetable oil.
A more common cooking method is as follows:
- Take the same amount of soda and starch, move among themselves in a saucepan.
- Gradually add water to the dry ingredients. Proportions should be 2: 1.
- Pour in a little oil..
- Put the composition on a gentle fire and, continuously mixing, bring to a thickening. Porcelain should be a dense consistency.
- Turning off the stove, cover the pot with porcelain pre-moistened with a towel.
- Once you have the right temperature, flush the material with your hands to ensure uniformity..
Cold porcelain recipe without cooking
To cook or not to cook? That is the question! Craftswomen making cold porcelain with their own hands are divided into two categories: the first for cooking, and the second against it. There are practically no differences in consistency and properties. Cold porcelain without cooking is just as plastic and easy to make. Among the necessary there are such ingredients:
- starch – 2 tbsp. l .;
- Vaseline – 1 tbsp. l .;
- baking soda;
- PVA glue.
The algorithm is as follows:
- Take the dry-washed dishes and pour the starch into it. You can take corn or potato.
- Slightly melt the petroleum jelly in a water bath, add it to the dry ingredient.
- Pour a little soda. Thoroughly mix future porcelain to prevent lumping.
- Next, add glue on a teaspoon to achieve a soft composition.
- Before work, lubricate the washed material until uniform with Vaseline.
How to cook potato starch on the stove
Potato starch is an ingredient more familiar to culinary artisans than its corn counterpart. It is found in almost every home, so cooking porcelain from it can be easier in terms of accessibility. If you plan to create light elements, such as rose petals, it is better to refuse potato starch, since the product’s feature is a grayish color. A simple classic way involves cooking on a stove. Component List:
- potato starch – 180 g;
- glue – 180 ml;
- lemon juice – 1 tbsp. l .;
- glycerin – 1 tbsp. l .;
- Vaseline – 1 tbsp. l.
The actions are as follows:
- Consistently combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. The mass will turn out to be liquid, it must be mixed to a uniform consistency before cooking by heat treatment.
- Dishes with the solution are placed on the weakest fire and the composition is stirred. Readiness is determined by the mass adhering to the spoon.
- The cooled material is mixed with greased hands for at least 5 minutes.
How to color the resulting mass
Cold porcelain made at home requires staining. Food colorings, pigments and acrylics are used to impart color to the mass. The first two coloring substances are used when cooking porcelain, adding to the composition along with the main components. In this case, it will be necessary to prepare several balls of porcelain mass in order to endow each with a different color. Acrylic paints are used when the product has dried and you just need to paint it. This option is a little more convenient, practical and takes less time..
How to do crafts
Cold porcelain is a material that is often mentioned in flower master classes. You can glue them without using special tools with one hand, but the best result is achieved with the help of molds. In addition to them, delicate flowers are made using plastic spoons. A plastic mass is laid and rolled out along the deepening of the spoon, and then several such elements are collected in a flower, for example, a tulip. Different tools can be used, this creative process is limited only by imagination.
How to dry the finished product
Drying the finished crafts is an important stage in all work with cold porcelain. There are cases when, when drying the finished product, the material cracks, leaving ugly grooves. How to dry the craft correctly? This is done at room temperature, at least during the day. It is very important to turn the product over if it lies on one side and is not in an upright position. To speed up the process, some needlewomen slightly heat the oven, and then, turning it off, briefly put the craft there.
The network is literally teeming with workshops of craftswomen recorded on video, where they share their secrets of sculpting from cold porcelain. Such lessons are very illustrative, they contain a step-by-step recipe for preparing material and several options for handling it. It is often visually understand how to work with plastic mass, easier than when the phased creation of crafts described verbally. Check out some detailed video tutorials below..