The content of the article
- How to test the keyboard for functionality
- Causes of malfunctions
- How to unlock a keyboard on a laptop
- Keyboard shortcut
- Checking the keyboard driver
- Removing the ban in the Group Policy Editor
- Keyboard loopback test
- Check motherboard malfunction
- How to enable an additional keyboard on a laptop
- Unlock using All-Unlock v2.0 RC3
- Enable Virtual Keyboard
The main way to enter information on a computer is a keyboard. If you did not fill with liquid, do not break, do not replace the keyboard, then there should not be any problems with its performance. Users sometimes encounter a problem that it does not work, does not respond to clicks, and the touchpad (touch replacement for a mouse), for example, functions. There are several options for verifying the functionality of a keyboard and enabling it in case of accidental blocking..
How to test the keyboard for functionality
A device failure can be related to software (not a physical reason) or failure of some part of the computer (hardware reason). There is an easy way to find out the nature of a malfunction on a laptop. It is necessary to turn on the computer and immediately enter the BIOS at boot time. If buttons inside this environment respond to pressing, then the problem is in the software. In this case, you can do the following:
- run a virus scan;
- start system recovery from a checkpoint when the keyboard worked correctly;
- remove completely or roll back drivers for keyboard.
If there is no reaction during the transition to the BIOS, then the problem must be sought with the hardware (flexible cable, motherboard, etc.). If there is no response from individual buttons, it is necessary to check the device for contamination. Pieces of food, accumulated dirt, foreign objects can lead to improper operation of the device. A can of compressed air is well suited for cleaning, it will help to blow through the keyboard on a laptop well. It can be attributed to the maintenance service, so that the specialists themselves
Causes of malfunctions
There is no dependence between the brand, computer model, and specific failure. Each laptop may be subject to hardware or software problems. Any device can break down the device, often this happens due to careless handling of the gadget, but other situations can arise that lead to malfunctions. Common options for turning off the keyboard are:
- Software crash. The operating system receives an error from the device driver and “does not understand” how to work with it. As a rule, reinstalling the keyboard helps the driver reinstall or rollback to the system restore point when it worked correctly.
- Spilled liquid. People often eat in front of a computer screen (work or watch something). If you accidentally spill coffee, tea (especially sweet), then in 90% of cases there is a breakdown of the device, sticky buttons. It may not appear immediately, but after 2-3 days (until the oxidation of the contacts inside the laptop begins).
- Problems with the loop. Due to humidity, contacts may oxidize if liquid gets in or repair is unsuccessful; the master unsuccessfully connected the keyboard to the motherboard. This leads to a partial or complete inoperability of the keyboard. You can try to disassemble and diagnose the loop, but without experience it is better not to do this.
How to unlock a keyboard on a laptop
If the keyboard does not respond to clicks, this does not necessarily indicate a laptop malfunction. It is possible that you accidentally cleaned the computer when you pressed a hotkey combination. This is a keyboard lock on a laptop, so as not to accidentally press a button during a presentation, transporting a device. If the problem is a malfunction of the motherboard, the cable, then you should contact the service center.
Disabling the keyboard on the laptop can be done using the hot combination that the developer has programmed. Often this situation occurs when a person wiped a keyboard during cleaning and accidentally clamped the required combination of buttons. The main thing is that the cloth is not wet and moisture does not penetrate the body. This situation can be corrected very quickly. You can activate additional functions on laptops using the FN button and one of the F1-F12 special keys.
Carefully review the icons on the keys. Different manufacturers have different function buttons, so you need to find what you need on your own. As a rule, this function is depicted as a lock. You just need to hold down the FN button and the corresponding F with the lock pattern. Sometimes only the right block with numbers is turned off. Num Lock or the combination of Fn + Num Lock is responsible for it. If pressing these hot buttons does not help, then the reason must be sought elsewhere.
Checking the keyboard driver
The operating system uses special files that are responsible for the interconnection of computer components and Windows. They are called drivers, issued by device manufacturers (separately video cards, motherboards, monitors, etc.). Modern versions of operating systems install most of the drivers from the database on their own, but occasionally they fail or become “crooked”. This is one of the reasons why the keyboard may not work. To enable keyboard in this case, you need to do the following:
- Open the control panel through the start panel.
- Click on the Keyboard Section.
- Select the Hardware tab. Look so that opposite “Status” it says “the device is working fine”.
- Click on the “Properties” section. Device Manager should see and display keyboard in the main menu.
If at some point you notice that the data does not meet the standard, then the problem is in the software. There is the following solution to the problem:
- Right click on the “My Computer” icon.
- From the menu, select “Properties”.
- From the left menu you will need the item “Device Manager”.
- Locate the keyboard and open by double-clicking on the property.
- Go to the “Driver” tab and click on the “Update” button.
- If this does not help, then you should completely remove it and reinstall it.
Removing the ban in the Group Policy Editor
In rare cases, you need to unlock the keyboard on the laptop at the system resolution level. This option is possible if you checked all the software sides and made sure that this is not a hardware failure. You can enable the ban on the use of keyboard inside Windows. To enable the input device, do the following:
- Open the Start menu, find the Run item. In the 10th version of the operating system, it is located in the “System” folder.
- Using the virtual keyboard, write “gpedit.msc”. Click OK.
- Open the “Computer Configuration” folder, then follow the path: administrative, templates, system, device installation, installation restrictions.
- You need the item “Prohibit device installation”.
- Click on “Show”, make sure that there is no data there. The “Disable” parameter should be opposite the ban..
Keyboard loopback test
Problems with the wire occur after liquid gets on the laptop or a failed repair. Novice masters may not fully connect the cable to the connector, which leads to the inoperability of the keyboard. The first reason obliges you to contact the service center, because an ordinary user will not be able to fix the problem after the gulf.
If you notice that only the input device does not work, then you can try to disassemble the device yourself. Most models use snap fasteners. You need to find on the surface the grooves that are the easiest to pry out with a plastic card. Do not use iron objects for this purpose, for example a screwdriver, it can damage the computer and the locks themselves.
Start opening from the left edge, gently pry the first latch and pull the keyboard by pressing the Esc button. Further, it will be easier to open the part, when most of the locks are removed, you can separate the keyboard and see the cable. Disconnect the wire (for this you sometimes need to raise the frame or just pull it out depending on the model), clean the contacts, firmly connect it back and put the keyboards back in place. Restart your laptop and try turning on the keyboard.
Check motherboard malfunction
The basis for all other computer components is MotherBoard. You cannot fix it yourself, but you can determine what the problem lies in it. Check the network cable, touchpad, USB port. Their inaction indicates a breakdown of the south bridge of the motherboard. For this reason, it is not recommended to take any action. The best option is to contact a service center.
How to enable an additional keyboard on a laptop
If the input device is faulty, you can connect an additional one to the computer. All modern keyboards that are used on desktop PCs have a USB connector. You have the opportunity to connect any of them using the appropriate connector. The system itself will determine the device, install the necessary driver. This is a solution to the problem if a hardware failure occurs, but if the motherboard malfunctions, the connection cannot be completed..
Unlock using All-Unlock v2.0 RC3
If the special buttons are not arranged correctly, a person may block the possibility of input accidentally. Once and for all you can turn on the keyboard on the laptop using a special utility – All-Unlock v2.0 RC3. On the official website, the application is available for download free version. Downloading from other sites is not recommended, but if necessary, make sure that your anti-virus protection is up and running in order to avoid harm due to intruders.
Enable Virtual Keyboard
If you couldn’t turn on the keyboard or connect an additional one, you can use an alternative option – a virtual input device. This feature exists in the operating version with the release of XP, it is present in later builds. You can enable the virtual keyboard in the following way:
- Open the start menu.
- Go to the “All Programs” tab.
- Find the Accessibility folder and open the On-Screen Keyboard.
- If you need an additional section on the right with numbers, then you need to click on “Options” and turn on the numeric keypad.