The content of the article
- What is Irish knitting
- Irish Lace Technique for Beginners
- Motifs for irish crochet lace
- Video Tutorials: How to Link Irish Lace Elements
- Volumetric flowers for Irish crochet lace
- How to knit a branch of leaves: a master class
- Knitting Irish Lace – Paisley Pattern
- Irish Lace Mesh
- Photos of models made using the technique of Irish lace
An interesting crochet technique can be considered Irish lace. It is one of the most difficult to implement. In this case, openwork elements of a small size, which can be smooth or voluminous, varying in color. You will learn more about this technique and its motives from the instructions below..
What is Irish knitting
The term hides one of the styles of crocheting – the manufacture of individual elements. They are represented by flowers, insects, rosettes, buds, fruits and petals. These elements are then combined to form a single web. The pattern is simply mesmerizing, but the fragments are very complex in shape, which makes Irish lace difficult to perform. Such art appeared in the 19th century. Then it was considered a luxury in several corners of the planet at once – such as European capitals (Paris, Rome, London) and even the USA.
In the modern world of fashion, Irish crochet has not lost its position, only gaining popularity. It is used for the manufacture of integral wardrobe items, for example, cardigans, skirts, blouses or pelerines. In addition, individual pieces of clothing, such as a collar, bodice or cuffs, are decorated with Irish motifs. Even with high laboriousness, such a technique remains in demand and is increasingly used to give the wardrobe original beauty and sophisticated femininity..
The peculiarity of this type of needlework is considered freedom of action, because of which it is impossible to master this art completely. Every day, experienced craftswomen offer ever new ideas for knitting out one or another motive. There are only a few general principles, following which you can learn Irish weaving. The result depends on the sense of composition and color, as well as the presence of a good taste in the craftswoman who appears with experience..
Irish Lace Technique for Beginners
To knit Irish lace for beginners is a little difficult, but with the help of schemes and descriptions for them, it is possible to engage in such needlework. The work consists in the sequential manufacture of individual motifs and their subsequent combination. To do this, a sketch is performed, according to which the associated patterns are then laid out, resulting in a whole canvas. The connection is carried out using:
- Nets. She knits the space between the fragments of lace located on the pattern.
- Brid. These are special auxiliary threads that stretch from one part of the pattern to another.
There is another way to knit Irish lace. It first creates some kind of openwork canvas or the same mesh. Then, on the basis obtained, Irish motifs are placed. The peculiarity is that instead of a mesh or an openwork cloth, they often take a regular tulle. The yarn was originally used white silk thread or a shade of ecru – yellow-cream. Gradually, flax with its rich color scheme began to be used. For each part of Irish lace, the following threads are used in thickness:
- thick – for tying it with dense columns of medium threads;
- middle – for tying out the motives themselves;
- thin – to perform a grid connecting all the elements.
The principle of Irish knitting is to tie a thick frame thread to a thinner one. Further, the motives are combined into one canvas, more often with the help of an irregular grid, because this method is simpler. It is better to start from those places where the distance between the parts is less. The connection consists in making a chain of air loops and attaching it to the motifs with double crochets. Creating the patterns themselves is different from the usual crochet lessons, because the process is not just rows one after another, but more complex sequences of loops.
In addition to yarn, several hooks are required to work, because the threads are used in different thicknesses. In addition, scissors and a needle are also useful if the motifs are sewn together or connected with the help of brids. The latter, if desired, can easily completely replace the mesh or openwork base of the Irish canvas. In addition, in some descriptions of the workshops, you can decorate the motif background with a pico pattern, which will make the product more original and interesting..
Motifs for irish crochet lace
To crochet Irish lace, you must first learn the technique of individual patterns. There are a great many of them, but there are several basic motives that are used more often in the lessons. Among them are the following patterns with the following description:
- Leaf with holes. It has a simple scheme, which is easily upgraded by increasing or decreasing the number of air loops in the arches. If you also additionally shift the attachment points, then you can get a variety of leaflets in shape. You can knit as plain yarn, and multi-colored or even sectionally dyed.
- Flower. These elements in different forms are necessarily present in any performance of Irish lace. They can be flat or embossed, small or large, plain or colorful. You can see the scheme of knitting one of them in the photo.
- Leaflet. In knitting magazines, these elements are presented in large numbers, and in a variety of forms and types. It can be simple shamrocks, leaflets with veins or openwork windows and even maple leaves.
- Bunch of grapes. This motive refers to volumetric elements. Used for decorating jackets, dresses or even hats.
- Cords. They are used more often to combine parts into one composition, although sometimes they act as independent decorative elements for finishing sleeves, necks, bottoms or designing fasteners.
- Curls. In addition to motifs depicting specific objects, Irish lace also uses more abstract patterns. It can be curls or rings of different sizes and shapes, which are suitable for any product.
Video Tutorials: How to Link Irish Lace Elements
If you learn how to crochet Irish lace, then you can create any thing, be it a gorgeous evening dress, a beautiful top, an original jacket, a swimsuit or a simple napkin. It all depends on your desire and imagination. All that is required is to prepare the necessary materials and tools and take advantage of the free lessons, which are presented in large numbers below. You can watch a few visual videos to quickly learn the step-by-step process of creating Irish weaving motifs..