The content of the article
- What is a VPN connection?
- Why do I need a VPN
- How VPN works
- VPN structure
- VPN classification
- How to create a VPN server
- How to set up VPN on Android
Virtual Private Network is a virtual private network that is used to provide a secure connection within corporate connections and Internet access. The main plus of VPN is high security due to encryption of internal traffic, which is important when transferring data.
What is a VPN connection?
Many people, when faced with this abbreviation, ask: VPN – what is it and why is it necessary? This technology makes it possible to create a network connection on top of another. VPN works in several modes:
- network node;
- knot knot.
Organization of a private virtual network at network levels allows the use of TCP and UDP protocols. All data that passes through computers is encrypted. This is an added protection for your connection. There are many examples that explain what a VPN connection is and why you need to use it. This issue will be discussed in detail below..
Why do I need a VPN
Each provider is able to provide, at the request of the relevant authorities, user activity logs. Your Internet company records all the actions that you performed on the network. This helps the provider to remove any responsibility for the actions taken by the client. There are many situations in which you need to protect your data and gain freedom, for example:
- VPN service is used to send confidential company data between branches. This helps protect sensitive information from being intercepted..
- If you need to get around the georeferencing of the service. For example, the Yandex Music service is available only to residents of Russia and residents of the former CIS countries. If you are a Russian-speaking resident of the United States, then you will not be able to listen to the recordings. VPN service will help to circumvent this ban by changing the network address to Russian.
- Hide site visits from the provider. Not everyone is ready to share their activities on the Internet, so they will protect their visits with VPN.
How VPN works
When you use another VPN channel, your IP will belong to the country where this secure network is located. When connected, a tunnel will be created between the VPN server and your computer. After that, the provider’s logs (records) will contain a set of incomprehensible characters. Data analysis by a special program will not produce results. If you do not use this technology, the HTTP channel will immediately indicate which site you are connecting to..
This connection consists of two parts. The first is called an “internal” network, you can create several of them. The second is “external”, through which the encapsulated connection takes place, as a rule, the Internet is used. It is still possible to connect to the network of a separate computer. A user is connected to a specific VPN through an access server connected simultaneously to an external and internal network.
When a VPN program connects a remote user, the server requires two important processes: first authentication, then authentication. This is necessary to obtain the rights to use this connection. If you have successfully completed these two steps, your network is empowered with the power to work. This is essentially an authorization process..
There are several types of virtual private networks. There are options for the degree of security, the method of implementation, the level of work according to the ISO / OSI model, the protocol involved. You can use paid access or a free VPN service from Google. Based on the degree of security, the channels can be “secure” or “trusted”. The latter are needed if the connection itself has the required level of protection. To organize the first option, the following technologies should be used:
How to create a VPN server
For all computer users, there is a way to connect a VPN on their own. Below we will consider an option on the Windows operating system. This instruction does not provide for the use of additional software. The setting is as follows:
- To make a new connection, you must open the network access browse panel. Start to drive in the search for the word “Network Connections”.
- Press the “Alt” button, in the menu, click on the “File” section and select “New Incoming Connection”.
- Then expose the user who will be provided with a connection to this computer via VPN (if you have only one account on the PC, you must create a password for it). Install the bird and click “Next”.
- Next, you will be prompted to select the type of connection, you can leave a checkmark in front of “Internet”.
- The next step will be the inclusion of network protocols that will work on this VPN. Check off all points except the second. If desired, you can set a specific IP, DNS gateways and ports in IPv4, but it is easier to leave automatic assignment.
- When you click on the “Allow access” button, the OS will create a server on its own, display a window with the computer name. It will be needed to connect.
- This completes the creation of a home VPN server.
How to set up VPN on Android
The method was described above how to create a VPN connection on a personal computer. However, many have long been performing all the actions with the phone. If you do not know what a VPN for Android is, then all the above facts about this type of connection are also true for a smartphone. The configuration of modern devices ensures comfortable use of the Internet at high speed. In some cases (to start games, open websites), proxy spoofing or anonymizing are used, but for a stable and fast connection, VPN is better.
If it is already clear to you what a VPN is in your phone, then you can go directly to creating a tunnel. You can do this on any device with Android support. The connection is made as follows:
- Go to the settings section, click on the “Network” section.
- Find the item called “Advanced Settings” and go to the “VPN” section. Next, you will need a pin code or password that unlocks the ability to create a network.
- The next step is to add a VPN connection. Indicate the name in the “Server” field, the name in the “username” field, set the connection type. Tap on the “Save” button.
- After that, a new connection will appear in the list, which you can use to change your standard connection.
- An icon will appear on the screen, which will indicate a connection. If you tap on it, you will be given statistics of received / transmitted data. VPN can be disconnected here..