The content of the article
- What is undergraduate
- How much do you study
- Undergraduate program
- Bachelor in Russia
- What is a magistracy
- Why do i need
- What gives
- Do I need to go to graduate school after undergraduate
- How to enter a magistracy
- Who can do
- Master in another specialty
- Paid by employer
- What is the difference between a bachelor and a master
- Bachelor’s diploma
- Master’s degree
At present, young people have access to a higher two-level education. Every student who in the future wants to become an excellent specialist in his chosen profile should clearly understand the undergraduate and graduate programs – what it is and how these degrees differ from each other. The difference between them is significant, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Find out what are the features of these academic degrees..
What is undergraduate
This is the first, basic stage of academic education. The conditions for access to it are simple. It is necessary to get secondary, specialized secondary or vocational education. You can do it after graduating from the 11th grade of a school, specialized college, technical school or school. There is a misconception that undergraduate education is an incomplete higher education. This is not true. A bachelor’s degree is the first full-fledged higher education degree, in the presence of which a person has the right to get a job in a specialty.
How much do you study
As a rule, the educational process lasts four years, although there are exceptions. A student receives an academic undergraduate degree after passing exams. It is worth noting that there are a number of specialties that even at the basic level cannot be mastered in 4 courses, especially in the medical and technical fields. Education at such faculties is divided into other stages that do not fit into the general concept of the European educational standard.
The plan is designed to give students practical knowledge of their chosen specialty. There are practically no focused disciplines in the educational program. If they are included, then with a minimum number of hours, and give only basic knowledge. The bachelor’s degree was originally conceived in order for the student to choose a narrow specialty, and consciously continued his master’s education in it. In Russian practice, this step has become relatively independent.
Recently, undergraduate studies have been divided into two categories according to a number of characteristics and tasks assigned to students, although this innovation is not practiced everywhere so far. Types of the first stage of academic education:
- Applied. For students who plan to get a job immediately after graduation. Practical training is underway. Form of study at the applied baccalaureate only full-time / full-time.
- Academic. Professional training of bachelors planning to enter further on a magistracy. The emphasis is on research, many theoretical courses. You can study both in full-time and part-time form.
Bachelor in Russia
The program began to be introduced into the practice of our country after the signing of the Bologna Convention. Reform implies the gradual creation of a single educational space of the European standard. Higher education in all countries should be two-stage: undergraduate and graduate. Previously, students received a specialist diploma after studying for 5-6 years. Now they are gradually moving away from this practice, but so far the “specialty” level has not been completely abolished, because not all professions can be mastered in 4 years, even at a basic level.
What is a magistracy
This is the second stage of higher education, but in order to gain access to it, it is necessary to obtain the first. A person is considered a master after he completes the training process. Bachelors and those who have received a specialty before entering the Bologna system can apply for a magistracy for free. The course of subjects is selected so that the student is as much as possible immersed in practical and scientific activities.
The programs are supervised by teachers of the highest qualifications, doctors of sciences. From every first semester, a mentor from among them is attached to each student. Under the guidance of a teacher, a person chooses the direction of scientific research and defends a master’s thesis. Until the moment the student defends his dissertation, he is a graduate student. During the training, he receives pedagogical skills and at the end of the program can work as a teacher.
Why do i need
Many people do not understand why they should go to lectures for some more time, if after a bachelor’s degree you can immediately get a job. A person needs a master’s degree in order to have the right to occupy leadership positions. To get a job in a number of specialties, you also need to get the second level of higher education. In addition, a magistracy can be completed in order to get an education not in the initially chosen, but in another specialty.
Education is not easy, but it brings many benefits. Having graduated from a magistracy, you will receive such opportunities:
- You will be able to occupy leadership positions, work in professions that require both levels of higher education.
- Professional growth will be fast, even if highly competitive.
- You will receive a lot of useful and in-depth theoretical knowledge and practical skills..
- If you understand that you mistakenly chose a specialization, then the magistracy gives you the right to change it.
- The scholarship and other social guarantees (a place in a hostel, etc.) will be extended for another number of years.
- You will have an open road to graduate school and teaching.
Do I need to go to graduate school after undergraduate
Everyone makes this decision personally. It will be objectively unfair to say that a bachelor is an inferior education. Nevertheless, before deciding whether to enter a master’s program, think about the following opportunities that it provides to a graduate of a university:
- the diploma is recognized internationally;
- experience working with foreign teachers;
- development and research for the candidate work;
- Equivalence of Foreign Scientific Qualifications PhD.
How to enter a magistracy
Obtaining the second stage of higher education is possible only at the end of the bachelor’s degree. It will be necessary to pass an oral comprehensive interdisciplinary exam in the direction of preparation. Its content, the order of conducting are determined by each university, therefore, they are different everywhere. The results are evaluated on a 100-point scale in accordance with the requirements of the Bologna system. The training lasts two years. You don’t have to do it right away, at first you can work for several years in the specialty.
Who can do
To apply, you must have a higher professional education. A bachelor’s, specialist, or master’s diploma will do. Of the additional documents you need a statement, an identity card, a medical certificate and several photos. To enter on a budgetary basis, you must have either a bachelor’s degree or a specialty obtained before the Bologna process. Master’s education may not be related to the direction of fundamental preparation chosen last time..
Master in another specialty
In the process of obtaining higher education, you will be able to change its direction. You can take any specialty, but practice shows that it is preferable to choose an adjacent one. However, if you are confident that you have the necessary knowledge to pass the entrance exam in a completely different profession, there are no obstacles. Master’s degree after a bachelor’s degree in another specialty is available in any Russian university and even outside the country.
Paid by employer
The labor legislation lists compensation and guarantees for employees who combine professional activities with training. For example, a magistracy in a number of specialties, especially highly scientific, is financed by the employer, to whom the state will transfer the funds. If the receipt is an employee’s personal initiative, then he will have to pay for training, the company can only provide leave at his own expense.
If an employee requires a second scientific stage for career growth in a specific organization, they are not allowed to dismiss him. In this situation, development in two scenarios is possible:
- The employer pays all expenses related to education. This is done if the company is very interested in the employee.
- The company gives days of paid leave to attend preparatory courses, lectures, exams.
What is the difference between a bachelor and a master
The difference between these levels of education is not only in the number of job opportunities. What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate programs, which is better? A few examples:
- Only a bachelor can enter the magistracy.
- Only a student who has an academic master’s degree has the right to study in graduate school.
- Undergraduate studies last four years. In magistracy – two.
- The second level of higher education can be obtained not in the specialty that you acquired at the bachelor.
- What is a bachelor? It is focused on work, the practical use of knowledge gained. The magistracy is preparing for work in the research field.
- The second level of higher education is not available at all educational institutions..
This document confirming that a person has the first qualification level of higher education provides him with the right to work in the specialty he has received, as a rule, in the social and economic spheres. Its owner has the full right to continue education and enroll in a magistracy. In foreign practice, most people immediately get a job after receiving a bachelor’s degree. Only those who plan to engage in science and research continue their studies..
With such a document, a large selection of jobs is available to a person. Master’s degree significantly increases your chances of finding a job in a specialty in analytical and research centers, large corporations. This diploma is a must-have for those who plan to continue to enter graduate school or engage in teaching activities.