The content of the article
- Laptop battery does not charge – reasons
- Physical deterioration
- Poor battery power
- What to do if the laptop does not charge from the charger
- Not fully charged
- Laptop battery connected but not fully charged
Laptop power failure occurs for various reasons. Sometimes, only a specialist can answer the question why the battery on the laptop is not charging. However, before the service center begins to solve the problem, it is necessary to independently check the serviceability with the help of simple manipulations.
Laptop battery does not charge – reasons
Not always a laptop battery is the reason for lack of charging. Practice shows that the reasons may be:
- systemic nature (BIOS settings, utilities);
- from a power outage;
- from poor contact in the charging circuit (outlet, cord, power supply or AC adapter);
- during oxidation of battery contacts;
- from power connector malfunction.
When the laptop does not charge, the first thing that comes to mind is that the reason is battery wear. However, this statement is true only when the device serves the 2nd, 3rd year. The battery performance of each laptop is determined by its manufacturer, installed capacity and frequency of operation. The standard service life is 2-3 years, or 800 charge cycles. After that (the battery is a consumable item) the capacity drops.
If the limit is exhausted according to the technical parameters, then with full confidence you can replace the consumable. Where to get old, read the manual in the “Disposal” section. Eliminate other causes before this, do an analysis using Battery Health for iOS (free). Windows 7 (8) software contains Battery Care, which also allows you to determine the necessary settings. Three main characteristics:
- rated power (declared by the manufacturer);
- maximum power (current);
- physical deterioration.
Poor battery power
The reason why the battery on laptops does not charge may be hiding in the power supply. It is necessary to check the functionality of the outlet. If the power does not appear, follow the chain:
- check cord;
- check power supply;
- examine the power connection socket;
- measure mains voltage.
What to do if the laptop does not charge from the charger
- Replace the cord with another one, or alternately shifting to the power supply, follow the charging indicator. If you can find a gap in it – replace, if not – follow next.
- Follow the same principle with the power supply. If there is a similar converter for output volts, then rearrange and check for charging on the indicator. If not, contact a service center..
- You need to move the end of the power supply plug to the motherboard in the connector. If the light starts flashing, then the cause is in this gap of the circuit, and it is necessary to contact a specialist.
Not fully charged
In models such as Acer, Asus, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Asus, the answer to why the battery on the laptop does not charge can be some of the features of the software from the manufacturer. The situation why the laptop is not fully charged can occur according to two scenarios:
- When the battery is not visible, but charging is in progress. Reason: in the controller; Solution: replace the battery.
- When the battery indicator is visible, it stopped showing a charge, but there is no charge. As a rule, such a battery was previously charged.
Decisions on the second paragraph:
- Reset BIOS settings:
- turn off the power of the laptop;
- disconnect the power supply from the outlet;
- take out the battery;
- hold the power button for 1 minute;
- connect the laptop to power without a battery;
- enter the BIOS (using the Del, F12, or F2 key combination or following the user manual);
- reset operating system settings (Restore Defaults) and save bios, (Save and Exit);
- turn off the power button (hold 5-7 seconds);
- turn off the power supply;
- install the battery;
- plug the cord into an outlet;
- turn on the device;
- check in the tray the presence and operation of the indicator.
If the inscription reads “Connected and charging”, then everything is in order, if the laptop is not charging, go to step 2. Very often, the manufacturer installs utilities of an accessible level (70–80%) to ensure maximum battery life, which prevents full charging . Procedure:
- Checking utilities:
- go to the dispatcher (manager) of battery management;
- enable the “Optimal battery life” mode;
- save setting.
- In cases where the laptop does not charge, but it works from the network, it is necessary to replace the battery or check the operation of the power board (only in the service center). Pay attention to a few points:
- if the contacts of the battery during oxidation interfere with the charge, then the solution is to strip them;
- There must be a proper fit of the battery in the laptop.
Laptop battery connected but not fully charged
Users worry why the battery on the laptop does not fully charge, although it used to be 100%. In this case, the device can be pumped. Actions:
- discharge the battery until the laptop is completely turned off;
- put on charge (9 hours).
If the pumping procedure did not help, the only solution is to replace the battery. Buying a battery is sometimes very expensive, then the service will offer a replacement battery. Entrust this work to a specialist: independent intervention may not produce results. Note that after replacement, a reset is required, calibration. Charging may stop working for various reasons, you can do something yourself, but it’s better to turn to socialists.