In 1980, Milan-based architect and designer Ettore Sottsass invented the Memphis interior style, which, according to experts, is gaining popularity again. Our advice site decided to find out what are the distinctive features of this direction in interior design, who is suitable.
Ettore Sottsass worked on a new interior style with his group of like-minded people, which was called Memphis. This name was inspired by both the band and the designer’s style by the song of Bob Dylan. In addition, as you know, there is a city of the same name in the south of the United States, where Elvis Presley died, whose fan was an Italian designer.
The main thing that immediately distinguishes the memphis style from other design directions is bright colors. To say that memphis is colorful is to say nothing. If in the vast majority of interiors there is only one dominant shade and two or three more colors soften it, then Memphis looks like a Mexican poncho with its bright colors and variegated patterns..
In this regard, memphis is similar to the boho style, about which the portal wrote in detail. But if boho with its gypsy variegation looks somewhat shabby, vintage, then memphis is something completely new and modern.
At the same time, in the memphis style, walls can be completely white and very neutral, calm. But they serve as a backdrop for very bright objects and decor. Cabinets in this style are certainly colored, and the furniture looks like an art object, but at the same time it regularly performs its functions and is easy to use..
Important! Memphis is a mixture of casual, postmodernism, futurism, art deco and pop art.
Memphis style is anarchic. None of the rules binding on other interior styles apply to him. Memphis in the interior is:
- Any bright and juicy color scheme;
- Bright designer furniture;
- Clear and varied geometric shapes;
- Plexiglas, laminate, plastic – inexpensive, practical modern materials;
- Freedom of expression;
- Balance on the verge of absurdity and genius.
When decorating an interior in the memphis style, it is important:
- Make every corner of the room interesting;
- Do not be afraid to overload the space with decor;
- Place your bet on bright colors: yellow, blue, red;
- Use numerous avant-garde chandeliers, floor lamps and table lamps;
- Use large and immediately noticeable decor items;
- Experiment with variegated patterns, ornaments, materials that imitate leather, hides of wild animals, tortoiseshell.
Not everyone decides to decorate their house in the memphis style. Yes, he is a little clown, you need to treat him with a sense of humor. For an office, bedroom or kitchen, most likely not the best choice. But for a nursery, playroom, original home bar or rest room – it is quite suitable.