If the mistakes of designers are fraught with the fact that the owners will be inconvenient and will have to redo the interior, then mistakes during the installation of the chimney are much more dangerous! The likelihood of fire increases dramatically. Our advice site has selected the typical and most dangerous mistakes that are made when arranging chimneys.
1. The first and main mistake that homeowners make is not to initially design the location of the stove, if it is decided that there will be stove heating in the house, in the country house or in the bathhouse. Many owners think that the main thing is to build the house itself, and let us somehow squeeze in the oven. A totally wrong approach! It will lead to the fact that in the end the chimney will have to be carried out somehow, through ready-made structures, many of which burn very easily. The stove heating project should become an integral part of the entire construction plan. “Dance from the stove”, having designed everything in advance taking into account the requirements of SNiPs.
2. Select the wrong material. Forget about asbestos and thin aluminum pipes! Asbestos can withstand temperatures no more than +300 ° C, and, for example, a direct-burning stove in a bath can heat a chimney up to +600 ° C. And the pipe will simply burst. Do not save on chimneys in any case, because the safety of the entire building depends on them. Stop your attention on modern options for chimneys made of cermets, ceramics, thick stainless steel with insulation.
3. Do not take care of the insulation of the chimney. Yes, pre-insulated steel sandwich chimneys are now on sale. However, this is not a panacea for fire hazards. It is important to remember that from such a protected chimney to ceilings that can catch fire, there must be at least 25 centimeters. And from the unprotected chimney to the ceilings, which are built of combustible materials – 38 centimeters. And this space between the heating pipe and the combustible materials needs to be filled with something that definitely does not burn! For example, basalt wool. Read about the need to retreat and cut the chimney in SP 7.13130.
4. In no case should you save on pipe height! The photo above shows how much the chimney should rise above the roof ridge if it recedes from it at different distances. In addition, the height of the chimney must be at least five meters from the grate or from the burner to the mouth of the chimney itself. Follow these guidelines to ensure proper traction and fire safety.
5. The chimney needs to be serviced! The portal devoted a detailed article to the reasons for the lack of traction and the measures that need to be taken to fix this problem. Remember that soot can not only clog the chimney, but also ignite, and this is already a fire.
In general, if you are not at all sure that you can do it on your own, entrust the installation of the chimney to experienced craftsmen. Believe me, it’s cheaper than rebuilding or rebuilding a house after a fire..