Let’s first think about whether it is really necessary to burn garbage in your summer cottage or personal plot. For example, ecologists are categorically against burning fallen leaves, claiming that this causes significant harm to the environment. In addition, there is such a convenient garden tool as a shredder, ready to literally turn into dust all sawn branches, cut grass and fallen leaves..
Branches and tree fragments processed by the shredder are turned into mulch and are actively used in the beds and near-stem circles. The rest of the plant residues can be put on compost, having received useful fertilizer.
Garbage can also be simply taken out, even if you have to hire a vehicle to do this. However, many site owners still choose not to change their habits and burn everything that can burn to get rid of the garbage..
In this regard, we inform you that improper incineration of garbage that does not comply with the law will lead you to a fine of 2–5 thousand rubles. We advise you to study the order of the Ministry of Emergency Situations “On the approval of the procedure for the use of open fire and making fires on agricultural land and reserve lands” (No. 26 of 01/26/2016). In addition, Article 20.4 of the Code of Administrative Offenses of the Russian Federation and paragraph 218 of the Rules for the fire regime of Russia are in force.
So that you do not look for the basic requirements listed in these documents, we will give them in an abbreviated form:
- The place of incineration of garbage should be at least 50 m from the nearest building or hay. That is, if your site is small, built up with all kinds of sheds, other household structures, it will not be easy to find such an equidistant place for an open fire;
- To the coniferous forest from your fire should be 100 m, to deciduous – 30 m;
- The diameter of the fire pit should not exceed 1 m; a ditch or pit should be dug for it, at least 30 cm deep;
- There should be no dry grass, old trees, various fire hazardous materials within a radius of 10 m from the place of waste incineration;
- The fire should be separated from fire hazardous objects with a mineralized strip, for example, made of sand, 40 cm wide;
- The fire must be lit exclusively in the presence of a person who, just in case, must have extinguishing means and a telephone to call the fire brigade;
- All residues from the fire should be filled with water, covered with sand to prevent re-ignition of coals and unburned debris.
It is difficult to comply with such rules for waste incineration, we agree. But there is an option to significantly reduce them – to use a metal container or a container made of other non-combustible material. In a private area, an old metal barrel is ideal for these purposes..
If you burn branches and foliage in a barrel, then the distance to the deciduous forest is reduced to 15 m, the coniferous forest – to 50 m, to the outbuildings – to 25 m. In addition, a mineralized fire strip is not needed..
Important! You need to take care of the presence of a metal sheet with which you can cover the barrel and extinguish the fire at any time.
Many summer residents go further, turning an old metal barrel into the simplest oven. Even damp branches and, for example, potato tops will easily burn in it. And the risk of fire is minimized. You can buy a ready-made incinerator, such as are found in construction and garden supermarkets. But it will cost from 10 thousand rubles and more.
Important! Garbage cannot be burned on peat soils if a fire regime is introduced in the region, wind gusts reach 5-10 m per second.
Of course, equipping a waste incineration pit in accordance with all the requirements of the Ministry of Emergencies is a laborious task. And not all owners will want to use a beautiful fireplace for this purpose, although the option is acceptable if all the norms for distances to trees and buildings are observed.
We strongly advise you to think about alternative options for waste disposal at the site, and if necessary to burn the garbage, still use either a pit or a metal container to avoid penalties.