Despite the fact that the garage is a non-residential premises, its interior arrangement also requires attention and costs. Our tips site will tell you how to sheathe, decorate the garage from the inside, what materials you can choose. We will pay special attention to the pros and cons of each possible option.
First, let’s figure out what criteria the material should meet, suitable for the inner lining of the garage:
- Resistant to low temperatures. The garage is usually not heated, therefore, the material for the inner lining must calmly withstand temperature extremes, not be afraid of their decrease;
- High enough strength. Car repairs are often carried out in the garage, during which you can accidentally hit the wall. In addition, wheel mounts can hang on the walls, for example, and other storage systems for all kinds of items. That is, the material should not deform due to gravity;
- Chemical resistance. Fuel and lubricants are stored in the garage, if repair work is carried out using paint or acid, they can get on the walls, so you should choose a material that is less afraid of chemicals;
- It is highly advisable to choose a fire-safe material, because fuels and lubricants and the car itself are sources of ignition risk;
- Easy to care for. You will not do a general cleaning of the garage with washing the walls every month! The sheathing material should not absorb odors, it should be easy enough to clean;
- Provide for the possibility of cosmetic repairs. If the garage cladding has been damaged, it should be possible to easily replace the area, repair or repaint.
Now let’s talk specifically about each type of materials that are suitable for interior cladding, garage decoration.
Option one – PVC panels
The advantages of using PVC panels for cladding a garage from the inside include:
- Affordable material price. A great option for those who do not want to spend a lot of money;
- Ease of installation, you can handle it yourself and in a short time;
- Resistant to moisture. This is especially important if condensation can appear in the garage in winter;
- There is no need to paint, varnish, or somehow decorate;
- It is easy to hide insulation under the plastic panels to get a warmer garage;
- It is easy to repair – only the damaged panel needs to be replaced;
- PVC panels weigh a little, that is, there will be no significant load on the structural elements of the building.
But there are also many disadvantages of PVC panels in the garage, and they are quite serious:
- It is easy to damage. Plastic panels are afraid of blows, easily break, crack, dents appear;
- Poorly tolerate temperature extremes, can deform during winter frosts. True, there are panels that are specially designed for facades, but they cost significantly more, which negates one of the advantages we have listed..
But as for the flammability of the PVC panels, they fully meet our criteria. In order for them to ignite, the temperature must exceed +391 ° С.
Option two – lining
The portal has already written in detail about the features of the lining. From the point of view of use for cladding a garage, this material has several advantages:
- Ecological cleanliness. Wood, what else to say;
- Long service life;
- Attractive texture, pleasant appearance;
- Installation is also quite simple;
- It is not afraid of temperature changes, it is often used, for example, when arranging balconies and loggias;
- Affordable price;
- Sufficiently high strength, resistance to mechanical stress.
Of course, the lining as a material for covering the garage has its drawbacks:
- If antiseptics were not used, problems are possible due to high humidity and pests;
- The tree is on fire, and in the garage there is an increased risk. We need fire retardants;
- It is difficult to clean the dirt from the lining, the lining will have to be varnished so that it does not absorb foreign substances, for example, the same engine oil.
Option three – OSB boards (OSB)
Approximate particle boards (OSB or OSB in the English abbreviation) are also a fairly common choice for cladding garages. Their benefits include:
- Ability to withstand temperature extremes;
- Not afraid of mold;
- Moisture resistance;
- Quite presentable appearance, if desired, you can paint.
Cons of OSB for finishing the garage:
- It burns because there are shavings, that is, wood;
- It is necessary to check what is the content of formaldehyde, which can be harmful to health;
- Heavier than all of the above materials.
Option four – plaster
This is not a cladding, as in the previous three cases, but a finish. Suitable for garages made of bricks, gas blocks, cinder blocks, and other block materials. The pluses of plaster inside the garage include:
- Cheapness and availability;
- The ability to do everything yourself;
- The ability to update and decorate the surface, maintain it in good condition;
- Ecological cleanliness;
- Resistance to mechanical stress and frost;
- No lathing is needed, so finishing will slightly reduce the useful area of the garage.
Cons of plastering inside the garage:
- You can deal with finishing only at positive temperatures;
- The absence of a crate is not only a plus, but also a minus – there is nowhere to hide the layer of insulation;
- To level the walls with plaster is a time consuming process and requires skills, the panels are easier to install.
Option five – ceramic tiles
The advantages of this material are undeniable:
- Easy to care for;
- Resistant to dirt and chemicals;
However, ceramic tiles have disadvantages:
- It is expensive, especially in comparison with PVC panels and OSB boards;
- The laying process is rather complicated and lengthy;
- Heavy weight.
The choice, of course, is up to you. We just listed the materials that most owners choose to equip their garages. If you have other options, suggest in the discussion of the article.